No announcement yet.

Leaning foward when walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris --I didn't mean to sound so opposed to the use of walkers or canes. You have a very good point, and I agree it is better to use a walker or cane for assistance where necessary and that may be the case more often than not. I didn't walk without someone right beside me for support should I need it until I was steady on my feet. I definitely didn't walk alone. I was very conscious of my falling and so were my caregivers. Before the surgery when doing all my planning, I fully expected to be sent home with a walker. I was surprised when they told me I'd be walking without one.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Janet - Leaning forward is perfecty normal. My dr. told me that it's because your core muscles need to strengthen to hold yourself upright. And...he was right! I'm now 3.5 months out and am now standing straight. But it took about 2 - 3 months to feel like I was standing normal. I did not use a walker except for in the hospital. The more you walk, the more you stremgthen those muscles, too. It will get better!!! Hang in there!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Forward lean

I had surgery Mar 1st and I notice myself leaning forward just a tiny bit when I walk. Someone please tell me this will go away? I hate to walk past a mirror. Dr. Lenke in St. Louis says it's just because my muscles are weak and take a long time to heal - well, goodness Mar 1st has been long time ago...
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Chris are you surouis because my surgeon had me use a walker. i geuss it the surgeon policy
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Nordic Walking poles - Indoor use? And what abt insurance?

Hi Backed Out

Actually Nordic Walking poles have little rubber "feet" on the end. They can be used inside (as in mall walking) or outside. They are very good for people who have a hard time walking without bending over and they give us more stability when we walk. Here is an article about these poles:

http://walking.about.com/cs/poles/a/nordicwalking.htm

I don't know if insurance companies cover these. However, it might be worth asking your doctor if he/she will give you a prescription for them. Then you could at least write off the expense on your income tax.

Hope this is useful.

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6
            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Three surgeries in one week:
            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Originally posted by lumbar3491 View Post
              Hi Backed Out

Actually Nordic Walking poles have little rubber "feet" on the end. ,,,

http://walking.about.com/cs/poles/a/nordicwalking.htm

I don't know if insurance companies cover these. However, it might be worth asking your doctor if he/she will give you a prescription for them. Then you could at least write off the expense on your income tax.

Hope this is useful.

Karen
              Many many thanks! Just found your reference as I checked out this thread for another reason. (There must be SOME better method to keep track of people's helpful replies to my posts!) .

An aside - I'm amused at the number of variations of my net-name that are abounding. I don't like the real one as is (I'm afraid under one interpretation, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy - nuff said! )

Amazing how different the final preposition makes it read! I DO feel very backed-IN and backed-down, lately! Not to mention backed-UP when I forget my Miralax, and - Oh, I could go on, amusing no one but myself .
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Under "Thread Tools" (at the top of the discussion area) there's a link for "Subscribe to this discussion"

Comment

walker?

nobody told me about anthing other than a walker postop. I wouldn't have been able to be up without it for sure.
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46
                  Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                  Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                  Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                  Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
                  X