Horrible Doctors (Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Doctors (Rant)

I went in for my first neurosurgeon consult today and had the worst time ever! You would think a top doctor at the Royal Victoria hospital in Montreal would be a little more professional and would not answer his phone during a consultation. Nor would he continue to stay on the phone ( with an interior decorator) discussing what colors the interior of his boat should be for 30 minutes while his patient stares at him in disbelief!

If anyone is in Montreal I would suggest not going to see Dr. Goulet!

Not only did he do what I described above but he also payed no attention to what I was actually telling him. He repeatedly asked the same questions he had asked minutes before and went from telling me that surgery is a premature option at 27 for me to , after having finally hung up the phone, saying surgery was my only option and would I want to book an appointment for it. Wow.... just wow.... like I would ever let someone like this come anywhere near my spine with a scalpel. ha!

Sorry you had to experience this. Very bad form from this surgeon. He needs an attitude adjustment and I suggest you give him one in writing - with a copy to the hospital administrator. He could be one of the best surgeons on the planet - or not - either way ... he has a lot to learn!

Reminds me of a consult I once had (not for scoliosis), the doc took a call from his stock broker, while I got to sit and listen to how important his finances were. I feel your pain ;-)

Comment

another Canadian

I have sent Nell a 'private' message suggesting she contact the SRS and possibly sending a letter to the College of Physicians and Surgeons

At the very least it would be documented

I think the behavior continues because no one calls them on it and/or the patient doesn't count...

Pretty disgusting any way it's sliced
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
      Spinal fusion 1961
      HR 1981 T3-L4
      Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
      Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
      [FONT]

Comment

you're right, I should report his behavior. To top it all off he never gave my MRI CD back and I only realized when I got home so I called them and they supposedly lost it....>< not a big deal, the cd is only 10$ but it's the idea that they lost a cd within 3 hours of my having been there. seems like a big joke if you ask me =-p

Comment

Unfortunately, this seems pretty typical of scoli docs. Two words to describe them: inattentive and uncaring.

My personal experiences have not been good either.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

in defence of arrogant ortho docs

I am aware that many docs come across as arrogant and unfortunately the less a patient knows the more they will take advantage of that lack of knowlege

However, my experience with the doc who did my HRs was very positive, he was extremely polite, considerate and respected by his colleagues and patients alike. In fact in 2002 he was celebrated for his career and dedication to scoliosis treatment during a meeting of the SRS. Now retired. I think his skill is evident in my case - the rods are still holding despite some of the side effects of HR that are now well documented.

My most recent consult with a scolio doc was fine - doc was pleasant/factual and even showed concern for the rib hump/kyphosis. He also compliments his work with a neurosurgeon.
            Susan
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
            Spinal fusion 1961
            HR 1981 T3-L4
            [FONT]

Comment

Susan,
              I'm glad you have had good experiences. I actually like my last doctor as he seemed very attentive and concerned, that is until I actually felt like I needed him to help me. Then it seemed that he just shut me right down. I was devastated to say the least because I really liked him.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Likeable Docs that sometimes don't work

Ah, that is the struggle we have been having and caused me to go into conipition fits. We are waiting on my daughter's second consultation. The two docs know each other very well. And we are having an ID consult just to see if they would have treated my daughter any differently, along with what they would do post op for her if we chose to have surgery there.

We all really like my daughter's doc but it was a rough journey. My concern is that likeability sometimes doesn't equate with no more problems. It is causing us anquish just to do the consult depite lots of medical and nonmedical folks push. My daughter's doc gave us the referal. At issue here to is my own fear. We have a terrible familiy history on both sides of having things gone bad with medical issues dating back to the 1920's. Blindness of unknow cause at 58,Spinal Menigitis and subsequest death at 18, ALS, death at childbirth, stroked out Mom at 35, my almost death at childbirth ect. I am gun shy and when threatened tend to want to run and change venues. Not very sensical but there it is. If I didn't like our surgeon, I would have been out of there asap. But we all like him and he said he would make her back beautiful.

Comment

Nell, I'd like to encourage you to file a complaint. There is no way that medical care will improve if uncaring or incompetent Drs are not called to task. The first Dr we saw for my daughter was horrible; he did a cursory exam, took phone calls during the visit, made disparaging remarks and misdiagnosed her case. I wrote a letter to the referring doctor and to his supervisor documenting the lapses. Even with a scoli doctor we saw who has a big reputation I felt that the quality of the exam was low. I think the field could use a lot of improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth1st View Post
                    I am aware that many docs come across as arrogant and unfortunately the less a patient knows the more they will take advantage of that lack of knowlege

However, my experience with the doc who did my HRs was very positive, he was extremely polite, considerate and respected by his colleagues and patients alike. In fact in 2002 he was celebrated for his career and dedication to scoliosis treatment during a meeting of the SRS. Now retired. I think his skill is evident in my case - the rods are still holding despite some of the side effects of HR that are now well documented.

My most recent consult with a scolio doc was fine - doc was pleasant/factual and even showed concern for the rib hump/kyphosis. He also compliments his work with a neurosurgeon.
                    Susan
                    Elizabeth,

It's true that some inconsiderate and arrogant physicians are excellent surgeons (and I thought you were going to make this point)

But instead you're telling us about excellent doctors, who are also considerate and respectful of their patients. That's GREAT to know. OTOH it isn't really a "defense of arrogant ortho doctors!"
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

in response to back-out

You're right, my title wasn't quite accurate. I do agree that some arrogant docs are good surgeons. Having said that, that skill shouldn't translate into rude or inconsiderate behaviour but sadly medical training does not give marks for good patient/doc interaction.

I think new docs are getting better at patient interactions but obviously with the most recent comment, the medical community has a way to go.

That's why I recommended "Nell" report the offending doc to the organization in Quebec that monitors doctors in that province. If his behaviour is reported, hopefully he might change his practice.

Doctors as a professional group have been given top place in society and it is the responsibility of society to call them when they misbehave - it is a challenge as collectively they are a very powerful group.
                      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                      Spinal fusion 1961
                      HR 1981 T3-L4
                      [FONT]

Comment

I go to uc davis i'm under the care of there chief of orthopedic spine surgery Dr Munish Gupta. He the Dr who did my spinal fusion in march of this year. He really caring and cornred preson who really cares about all his patients.
                        He a SRS member, i dont remember all the orther places the have the word scoliosis he also a member of
                        Kara
                        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                        T4-L2
                        Before 50T
                        After 20T

Comment

Working...
                        X