nicoles surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news

Jennifer, I'll bet Nicole was thrilled to have her hair washed! I'm so glad she's feeling better and almost ready to go home. Just a brief comment from when I had surgery. I was SO much more comfortable on the sofa in the family room than I was on a bed when I got home. The sofa is low and narrow, and I was able to prop myself up with lots of extra pillows, and able to get out by myself without help. Also, I was on the first floor with no stairs, there was a TV and the computer right there, and my family and the kitchen nearby all day. You might think about a similar place in your home that will work for Nicole. Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Nicole's Surgery

Hi Jennifer. I'm so glad to see your post - I was starting to worry! Funny how the mom in us is there for everyone's kids, huh? That's great news that Nicole is starting to eat and was able to get her catheder out. That must have been such a relief to her. I am sure you will both feel better once she is in her own home.

Comment

nicoles surgery

hi susanna
        I was thinking that she could sleep in her bed if she wants and then for her to lay on the couch during the day. I definitely do not want her in her bed all day long.
        well i'll keep you posted on her progress
        jennifer

Comment

nicoles surgery

thanks carolnj for thinking of us. It's going to be a slow recovery process and i'll keep you all posted.
          jennifer

Comment

bed vs. couch

jennifer,

just mentioning it because i could not sleep or get comfortable in bed, but the couch was awesome, and easier to get in and out. my bed is so tall that i need a running start! i know you'll let her sleep wherevever it's comfortable, but my first night i lay there half the night in pain before I figured out it was the bed. after sleeping at an angle in the hospital for a week, the bed was too flat and hard. The couch was perfect. good luck and here's hoping by the time you read this she's home! susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

nicoles surgery

susanna,
              i can't believe you posted that because i was just going to post on where would she be most comfortable. We got home this afternoon with nicole and when we came home we put her in our bed because her's is downstairs and i just thought it would be better for her to be near people, we got her in the bed and she was so uncomfortable. Then we ordered some dinner and we had her go on the couch with some pillows in back of her and her feet on a big otterman and she is so much more comfortable, but the only thing is she can't fall asleep sitting. I guess we should have her try and lay on the couch. When does it get a little better?
              jennifer
              anyone here from mamakay or bills mom yet? I hope all is well with the kids i'm thinking of them and can't wait to hear from them.

Comment

nicole's surgery

Hi Jennifer! So glad to hear Nicole is home. That was one of my questions too - what do you do once you are home? I mean, its great that you are home, but how do you get them comfortable? I was thinking of possibly renting a hospital bed for the first few weeks and putting it in my living room. We have a while before we have to worry about that though so I'll just keep reading! Bill's mom posted an update on here - I think its on this surgery board.

How was the trip home? Did you drive or have a limo? Are you far from the hospital?

Well, I know I'm posting a ton of questions and you have so much going on with just getting through Nicole's surgery and helping her through recovery. I do continue to pray for her quick and uncomplicated healing - that every new days finds her stronger and pain free. Carol

Comment

nicoles surgery

hi carol,
                  i wanted to get her a hosptial bed for at home, but the dr. said she did not need it and i even asked them at the hosptial and they said she wouldn't need it. She wishes that i had one here though. I think it would be a lot easier. I don't know why they said no to it. Does anyone else know? I'm curious. The ride home was fine. We are about 40 min. from the hospital and she went home by car and was fine, but when we got home she was kind of stuck in the car. It was hard to get her out. She really seems best so far on the couch.
                  thanks so much for thinking of us. I don't know what i would do without this board.
                  jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I would suggest letting her try to sleep on the sofa with as many pillows as she needs to be reclining but not totally flat. Let her experiment and find whatever works. I slept with a couple pillows under my head, and some under my knees. The first few days after getting home were not great, but it got better so quickly! By my 3rd or 4th day home, I was taking walks and feeling human. By two weeks post-op I was feeling almost completely normal as long as I didn't move suddenly. We're thinking about you guys! So glad you're home. She might be uncomfortable, but she'll sleep so much better at home than in the hospital.

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~

Comment

nicoles surgery

hi susan,

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't know you had surgery. I thought you were looking for drs. for your daughter am i wrong?? When will she be walking less stiff? She seems so stiff?
                      jennifer

Comment

Hey Jen,

I didn't have scoliosis surgery, but I had major abdominal surgery last year, and being cut "stem to stern" with major muscles hurting, whether back or front, is a universal miserable experience. Mine was a 6 hour surgery, with two days in ICU, drains and a catheter, pca pump for pain, and a week total in the hospital, so a very similar experience. I am sure Nicole is going through a lot of the same feelings. I can tell you I was miserable about 10 days from surgery, and it got SO much better from there, where I was literally feeling 95% by 2 weeks. I will almost promise she'll be feeling so much better in a couple of days.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~

Comment

nicoles surgery

susan the surgery you had does sound very similar and thats what everyone says that it will get better. I can't wait. Actually, once the whole bed episode was over and she was on the couch she has not complained once all day. I am happy about that. She said there is no way she is getting into her bed tonight. Where ever she sleeps i just want her to be comfortable. I have heard a few people say that they were comfortable in a recliner, but we don't have one.
                          thanks again so much How is your daughter doing?
                          jennifer

Comment

Jen,

We don't have a recliner either. Just speaking for myself, it was just not comfortable laying completely flat, so a couch was the next best thing.

My daughter's doing pretty well. She's resolved to finding the best doc and getting her back fixed. We're just trying to settle on a doctor and get throught this school year!

I hope you ALL sleep well tonight!

Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~

Comment

They say not to bother renting a hospital bed because it would only be needed for a couple of days and therefore not worth it. I know it doesn't seem like it now but it does get better.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

nicole's surgery

really it would only be for a couple of days? She can't imagine what it will be like to feel better in a couple of days and either can i. I can't wait. She slept on the couch downstairs because it is a very wide couch and was comfortable. She woke up once for a pill and went right back to sleep. She is bored already she hates just laying there. My husband ran out and bought a seat for the toilet and it is much better. It was way to low for her.
                                thanks again for the advise on the couch because i don't think we would have thought of it ourselves and it helped.
                                jennifer

Comment

Working...
                                X