Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pelvic fixation--separate incision or same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]683[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]684[/ATTACH]
    Aug.17,09 Anterior
    Aug.20,09 Posterior
    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
    Cedars-Sinai
    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
    Husband married 30 years
    3 kids 29,28,25
    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

First of all, your films look great for all I can evaluate!

However, am I wrong in reading them to show that the pelvic fixation was only done on one side - Left?
      If so, is this usual?
      Also, how does this feel to you?

Oops! I see the one-sidedness is the whole point of your posting the Xray links. Hmmm. You certainly are right that it's one side (left). And I guess you explained earlier that you had a special anatomic reason for having it done unilaterally.
      Guess that only leaves me with the one question - how it feels? Funny, I'd think this would make for an uneven pull. I assume with your age and bone density, that's not a problem.

Best!
      Last edited by Back-out; 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Pelvic Fixation

There is no separate incision for pelvic iliac screws. All done via the posterior incision. And you cannot feel them except for some hip aching during the initial recovery period. They are placed for extra stability.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks to all for the interesting comments and replies! The reason I originally asked was I read -somewhere- that separate incisions were required. So I am relieved to hear only one is needed.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

In most cases, fixation to only one side of the pelvis is adequate to do the job. I think it's just a matter of surgeon preference.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by sheri66 View Post
              Linda,I only have bolts on left side where the second incision is.On previous post I said right but meant left side.
              You still haven't changed my mind. I believe that your pelvic screw was put in through the main incision. It has to be connected to the main construct, so it seems to me that a separate incision would not make it any easier.

Ask Dr. Pashman the next time you have a chance, and let me know.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My revision and the repair of L5-S1 (ALIF) was through the previous incisions
                LSH

Comment

incisions and sacral fixation

In response to the thread regarding additional fixation beyond the standard perdical screws in the lumber vertebrae, I am very interested in the experiences.

You may recall that the surgeon in my case felt my situation was not so bad that I could wait. Wait till I actually am in pain! But the surgery if and when would include sacral fixation.

Any comments on life after that - activity, stiffness, pain. It seems such a drastic measure.

On another note - just to say that some of the messages are really informative and I have been impressed by the knowledge that many of you have.

Great social network
                  ps a short article in the local paper on scoliosis - maybe becoming a little more "visible"
                  [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                  Spinal fusion 1961
                  HR 1981 T3-L4
                  Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
                  Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
                  [FONT]

Comment

Linda,I had my 1 year appointment with Dr. Pashman he said everything looks good and Im all fused and released meI asked him about my separate scar and he said he put that screw in that incision not main incision.
                    Aug.17,09 Anterior
                    Aug.20,09 Posterior
                    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                    Cedars-Sinai
                    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                    Husband married 30 years
                    3 kids 29,28,25
                    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up. When I see him next, I'll find out about the technique.

--Linda

Comment

I saw Dr. Pashman and he said that I would have to fuse from T2 to Pelvis with fixation. He said it would be both posterior and Anterior, so it's the center back and the horizonal in the front, as described on his website. He did not mention any side incision was needed.
                        62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                        45/50 year 2000
                        36 yrs old
                        Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                        S. California
                        http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

i saw Dr Pashman's fellow surgeon at Cedars Sinai, Dr Anand, last January...though i need T4-pelvis, we agreed to T10 to pelvis, as did all other surgeons i consulted with on east coast...using minimally invasive approach...side and back "pokes," kinda' like incisions, but smaller and spares muscles somewhat...
                          so, in the case of minimally invasive, both back and side are used...

now, if i could just make up my mind!! i have, actually...many many times!!
                          then i "unmade" it!

jess
                          Last edited by jrnyc; 11-11-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X