Tomorrow is the big day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow is the big day!

Here we go!! Twenty-four hours from now I will be under anesthesia in surgery. The one surgeon will open me up and move all my "inners" out of the way so the two spine surgeons can piece me back together. Sound like fun? I am actually very excited, and a bit nervous.

Excited because after these two surgeries, I have hope of a life with little to no back pain and the prospect of being able to walk. Going to Target and having to ride in a wheelchair and have little kids look at me and be scared, is not my idea of life. Not being able to walk further that a few feet is no fun. Taking pain pills every day and muscle relaxers at night just to sleep, is not my idea of life at 48 years old. I am excited to think I will be able to take a moonlit walk with my best friend and husband. I am excited to think I will be able to cook with my boys.

I am nervous because I always have problems with anesthesia. I have a hard time waking up and I usually throw-up for a long time afterward. I am nervous because I will not be in control of what happens while I am in surgery. I am a control freak and I am always in the drivers seat.

But here we go! Off on a new journey in life. God is in control and I am in the passenger seat.
    Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
    Fusion with Harrington Rod, Milw, WI
    T4 to L4
    Pre-Surgery: 76 & 80
    Post-Surgery: 18 & 21

5/2010 48 yrs old, Thornton, CO
    Flat Back, severe arthritis on bottom, severe pain & can barely walk

7/13/2010 surgery - anterior
    7/27/2010 surgery - posterior
    8/30/2010 infection in abdomen surgery - 5 in hole
    10/28/2010 infection surgery - bigger hole
    11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

best of luck, Barb, for a successful and uneventful procedure...and a rapid problem free recovery!

thoughts, prayers, and wishes go out to you...

jess

Comment

Barb--
      Thoughts and prayers from here too. I wish you the very best. You certainly have a good attitude & deserve all those nice things you mentioned. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Barb --

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Be sure to remind your anesthesiologist of the things you just told us.

Best wishes -- I bet you will love the new you!!!

Post as soon as you are able -- we'll be thinking about you.

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

You deserve an easy ride through surgery and recovery, Barb, after all you've been through. I will be thinking of you and looking out for some good news as soon as you're able.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

On my mind too, Barb! BTW I don't know when you last had surgery but I too used to respond with nausea. In recent years, they have made great strides in anesthesia. I, at any rate, have NOT been nauseated.

Wishing you have a smooth experience buoyed by thoughts of all the positive changes you spoke of - godwilling, soon to be a reality!
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Barb - good luck, I'm sure you'll do great. I too was so worried abut the nausea after the surgery and I just shared all my worries with the anesthelogist and they took care of it. They even put a Scop patch behind my ear before surgery to really insure no nausea. Share your worries and they will put you at ease. You'll be on the road to recovery and walking before you know it.
              Shari B.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I told them when I was in the "holding area" about the nausea when waking up and they were glad I mentioned it. They put something in the IV and it worked perfect. I had absolutely no nausea . Please mention it to them. Best of luck! LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Good Luck Barb! I too had all those same hopes going into my revision surgery...it is a scary thing but held myself together knowing that there was that possibility of standing up straight and being able to just walk normally again!!!!! I wish all the best for you and will put you in my prayers today...:-)))
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                  X