Arthritis after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthritis after surgery

I had surgery for scoloisis in 1972 when I was 13 years old. The past few years I have been having neck and back pain, but nothing major. A few months ago the pain became unbearable. I can't sit or stand for more than 15 minutes without having pain. I went to the doctor today and was diagnosed with arthritis in my spine from the surgery. Is anyone else suffering with this?

Kim

Hi Kim...

Just about everyone who is over 40 and has back pain has arthritis.

I'd like to encourage you to see a doctor who has a lot of experience treating patients with prior scoliosis fusions. Where are you located?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am in Northern NJ not to far from Hackensack and Wayne. That you for the advice.

Kim

Comment

Hi Kim...

You're in a great place. Here are the names of the surgeons that I hear mosst in terms of treating prior scoliosis fusions:

Oheneba Boachie-Adjei (NYC)
        Jean-Pierre Farcy (NYC)
        Michael Neuwirth (NYC)

Hopefully, one or more of them is on your insurance plan. Dr. Boachie does not accept insurance, but he's the doctor whose name is mentioned most, and his patients all adore him.

Good luck getting to a solution.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Looking for a good doctor

Live in the Buffalo, NY area & am looking for a doctor who specializes in scoliosis. There is a support group in the area, but feel funny about going to a meeting. Have a feeling that the meeting is filled with young people who are trying to forget they have this condition. Would like to get a meeting together with us "old ones" who have lived with it & know how it is. E-mail me if we can do this. You can come to my home. Maxxi19@aol.com

Comment

Hi Maxxi...

You should contact the support group leader to check it out. My support groups is made up almost entirely of adults >40 years old.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Kim,
              I had surgery also in 1972 at age 16. I have a harrington rod, and fusion to L-5. In 1995 I was diagnosed with arthritis in my sacrylliac joints. I've tried several things including trigger point injections, celebrex and physical therapy, but unfortunately have not gotten much relief. My orthopedic doctor recommends another surgery to remove the harrington rod and realign my spine. At this point, I'm up for anything. I don't believe this will totally alleviate the pain, because the arthritis won't go away.

I'm sure this doesn't help you much, but it might to know there are others suffering with the same. My doctors say it's very common to develop arthritis after spinal fusion.
              Deb
              1972 - 54 degree lumbar curvature
              Grew 2 1/2 inches in 6 hours
              Quite attached to my harrington rod T-9 to L-5
              Ready for revision surgery

Comment

Thanks for the information Deb and I hope you get relief soon. I am going to a reumotologist (sp?) next week as it looks like I also have fibromyalgia. Some days I walk like I'm an old, old woman. I refuse to go down without a fight.

Why do they feel removing the rod will help?

Kim

Comment

Have you tried going to a chiropractor? I go every three weeks. Otherwise I would not be able to function...

M&M

Comment

I'm only 25 and I was diagnosed with arthritis in my lower spine (the part with no fusion). The pain is almost non-existant but occasionally I wake up and it'll be sore. But I also have disc degention there and I do believe my doc said they go hand in hand

Comment

Well it seems to me that this problem of arthritis is becoming more and more pronounced by the day and at the same time it is shocking to find that this is no longer a disorder of the elderly people only. Again it is so weird to learn that there are chances of the disorder being reverted even after a surgery. All these leads to the conclusion for me that unless proper precautions are taken we are in trouble.
                      I always knew that lipitor would be best for me

Comment

I had a bone graft done when I was 13 years old, when my curve was at about 100 degrees. Post-graft my curve is at about 65 degrees.

I developed arthritis in my lower back also. One orthopedist told me that the arthritis was due, in part, to the extra weight that my spine was carrying from the bone graft. I was a bit surprised, never thought of the bone graft adding extra weight to my spine, but it makes sense.

In no way am I saying that bone grafts, or anything else, are a contributing factor for everyone who develops arthritis in the lower spine, I am just sharing my experience.

For now, I can tolerate the discomfort/pain fairly well, but on those days I call "Arthritis Days," taking an over the counter pain reliever for a couple of days as been effective.

My scoli was caused by an extremely rare bone syndrome, the syndrome itself might be the contributing factor as well.

By the way, the home page mentions that the Indiana legislators were considering ending the funding for scoli screenings at the schools in Indiana. Does anyone know what the legislators decided?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X