scoli report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoli report

my science teacher wants my class to write a 4 page report about any scientific topic like medicine,electronics, earth, stuff like that. so i chose scoliosis! i was just wondering if anybody has any information about scoliosis that i can use in my report. thanks!
    ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Hi angelover,

That is a great idea to write about scoliosis! I have been waiting for one of my teachers to ask us to write a report about something medical. I keep my hopes up in health class. That way I could really do something with allt eh reasearcxh I have done. Not that it hasn't helped me but it would be cool to write about it.
    I have a lot of information on scoilosis and got it all fro,m some really great websites. I could tell you quite a few things but I don't think I would word it to well so I will give you some website names that I got my info from. Here it goes. www.iscoliosis.com, www.spinekids.com click on what is scoliosis. Now I will try and tell you some things. Scoliosis is a side to side curvature of the spine. Sometimes it causes pain sometimes it doesn't. The most common type is adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Al people have a tiny bit of curving in the spine but only if it is over ten degrees is it considered scoliosis. There are some ways that you can find out if you have scoliosis, bending over and tpouching your toes. If there is a hump[ in the back you might have scoliosis. If one shoulder is higher than the other. The way my mom always said stand up straight but was never satisfied. On girls dresses and skirts don't seem to hang right because one hip is higher than the other. Pant legs are not even. Scoliosis is more common in girls than boys. Curves 20 to 40 degrees and the person is still growing often require bracing. Curves fifty degrees and higher usually require surgery to correct the curves. Most surgeries last about 8 to 11 hours. Most patient s are in the hospitasl afterwards for about a week. The fusion is steady in 6 month to a year. Some casses just require close observartioin.

Okay that is all I can think of right now. If you have any more specific questions with anyhting to do with scoliosis feel free to ask me and I will do my bedst to answer. I can only give you what my doctor thinks it will be like after my surgery because I haven't had mine yet. I hope to hear from you soon! Bye!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

thanx

thank you so much! youve helped me a lot! i got a book about scoliosis but it wont help me much. thanks for the sites! good luck with your surgery!
      ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the luck with my surgery. No problem helping you. I have done so much research on scoliosis that I was glad to put it to use. Believe it or not after reading your post on the report I didn't even check any websites before I started answering. I remember it . Some people say that I am a bit obsessed with knowing about scoliosis. In even surprised my doctor when he asked me if I had any questions about my surgery and I asked if I was having anterior or posterior spinal fusion. He was surprised I even knew that because he said most kids don't. I can't even tell you how surprised he was when I was asking how many rods he would put in and stuff. Of course he took me through it anyway. Little does he know that I have checked out his biography on the hospitals website. I also know what awards he has won. I've checked it all. Like I mentioned before ask me any questions you want and I will try to answer them. Well I am going to see if I can find any other good sites I can give you. I will reply. Bye for now!
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Hi angelover,

I was looking on google and I found some other sites on scoliosis. I will give them to you. They are www.srs.org . That website is the scoliosis research society and that gave me a lot of help. I have been on there before but I forgot about it(Oh my gosh did I just say I forgot something about scoliosis. That's totally impossible! ) Anyway another website is www.vh.org. I went onto the virtual childrens hospital link and they had a patient story and questions about surgery and I think scoliosis in general along with the answers to the questions. There is another website that gives a of information on scoliosis. www.kidshealth.com. There are some parts on there. Kids, teens and parents you enter one go in search and type in scoliosis. It will bring it up you click on w and it gives you some info. Hope that this helped. Ask anyhting else you need to know!Bye!
          ~*Lauren*~
          Braced for 5 months
          Fused from T3-L4

Comment

wow! your good! i havnt started on my report yet because i always put things off until tomorrow!lol. thanks for the help! now i know who to come to with questions!
            ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Comment

Hello,
              Yeah, I am like that too. I am always putting things of and then before I know it it is due in like three days or something and I panik.Yes I am here for questions. Ask pretty much anything except for details after and I wil probably know the answer. Ask anytime yo like. I will go on a website and see if I can tell you some books that have some good info. I will write back! Bye!
              ~*Lauren*~
              Braced for 5 months
              Fused from T3-L4

Comment

well... my report is due in like 3 days, and i am so close to finishing!!!!! yay! thank you so muuch for the info!!! it helped me so much!!!!!! i just need one more page and im done!!!!!!! its double spaced so its actually no that much.
                ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Comment

No problem. It was good to actually use some of that info for something useful. Hope you get a great grade! Good luck!
                  ~*Lauren*~
                  Braced for 5 months
                  Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Hi,
                    My daughter and her friend both wear braces for their scoliosis......They want to do a science fair about the spine...where can they get information about it?
                    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                    fused T4 -L3
                    Hip graft
                    Grown 1 1/2 inches
                    25/o upper T 15/o
                    53/o T 15/o
                    37/o L 6/o
                    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                    New York City

August 6, 2004
                    Pulmonary Embolism
                    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                    increasing pain at the T4/5
                    point irratation heardwear

Comment

I don't know how I missed this post but there are some websites that I reccomend. They are www.spinekids.com , www.srs.org , www.vh.org , www.kidshealth.com , www.iscoliosis.com and then finally (this is the website to the hospital I go to) www.sickkids.on.ca There is a little search thing on the top right hand corner and you type in spinekids or scoliosis and it brings up some pages. I click where it says "Spinekids:Kids Corner" That has personal stories and info on everything about scoliosis. Hope that helped a little!
                      ~*Lauren*~
                      Braced for 5 months
                      Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Working...
                      X