Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehabilitation of adolescent patients with scoliosis—what do we know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well yeah actually, some people do know that he is an accomplished equestrian. I had posted a sharing up-thread (posting #7), but he has since made it private. Guess he tires of the critique ...

Comment

Mamamax,

At the very least, his videos show extremely poor judgement, and a huge lack of professionalism. I find his videos revolting, myself.

I would NEVER allow him near my child (of either gender), that is for sure.

I hope he does not treat children now. The guy is wacko.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
        Oh damn. I logged in and still can't see it.

Did you see it? Would that mean it became private only after you posted it?

If it was a video of him riding, there are any number of people including lower level types who could tell you whether or not he was "accomplished."
        Yep, I saw it. As for "accomplishment," maybe we can agree there are many levels of this. I used to ride, but never would have called myself accomplished on any level. My youngest sister on the other hand, I would have called accomplished - she was show quality and had much encouragement from others (instructors and fellow show buddies) to set her sites on the Olympics. So, from my experience - I would call him accomplished and no doubt others would also .. present company excluded of course :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
          [COLOR="Navy"]The man has artistic talent - no denying that. Plays guitar, writes song, music, and choreographs
          I saw his questionable videos. You call that artistic talent? It pained me to view and listen to him.

Comment

genius? renaissance? i cannot believe anyone would use words like that to describe this!! creepy...absolutely inappropriate...there's no "genius" about it!!

jess

Comment

I can't believe anyone would use words like that to describe him either, Jess.

I have lots of my own words to describe him (creepy, wacko, etc.)

IMHO he is a no-talent perv who has no business being around children.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Let us not judge hastily ...

Do you suppose (anyone), that some judgments on all this *could* be emotion based and lacking in true evidence?

Keeps me on the fence - and watching while waiting (how ironical).

At least I think I know enough, to know that judgment without definitive evidence - may be poor judgment. And that of course puts me closer to the skeptic camp as I tip-toe through all things idiopathic ;-)

Comment

To all Moms who are trashing Dr. Weiss' name.

My daughter has been his patient for 3 years. We visit him twice a year for her therapy and bracing. I know many girls from other countries who are his patients. Dr. Weiss never touched any of them inappropriately. We watched those videos and laughed because they were funny. And you, ladies, happen to lack a sense of humor.
                  Thanks to Dr. Weiss our children are getting well without having a surgery!
                  That is what you should be talking about.
                  We were in Germany last month and we witnessed doctors from all over the world visiting Dr. Weiss in order to learn his method. American doctors should follow them!

Comment

i HAVE a sense of humor...and i dont think the videos are funny!
                    American doctors don't need his help!!

jess

Comment

Thanks for posting, Susanna.

I'm a parent who has seen the effectiveness of exercise, massage, and stretching in improving my son's experience with scoliosis. He no longer has pain and his curve is much less noticeable.

So, given my experience, I'm inclined to think that the Schroth method holds promise. But, I am somewhat puzzled why Weiss is not publishing papers showing the effectiveness of his methods. Without those papers, it is very expensive for Americans to seek out this treatment (because its effectiveness has to be proven before our insurance will pay for it).

I see studies from other exercise proponents, like the SEAS people in Italy. And I've seen many papers from Weiss on other topics. But I don't see anything from him showing the effectiveness of his own treatment.

Comment

recommending exercise, stretching, etc. does not require creepy videos...

i cant imagine any scoliosis surgeon putting out such...garbage!

jess
                        Last edited by jrnyc; 07-24-2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I think Susanna is suggesting, rightly, that we're somehow losing sight of the benefits of the practice in our reaction to the practitioner. Schroth does not equal Weiss - he didn't invent it, and he's not the person currently running the clinic in Germany.

He's the son of the person who invented it, and he likely spent long hours as a youth being surrounded by girls his age in braces. I'm sure that had some effect on his growing adolescent mind, but I'm not sure that any of that has anything to do with the practice itself.

Comment

that is not what i got from her post!

i did not see any criticism of methods...just of the creepy videos...and creepy is...creepy!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                              I think Susanna is suggesting, rightly, that we're somehow losing sight of the benefits of the practice in our reaction to the practitioner. Schroth does not equal Weiss - he didn't invent it, and he's not the person currently running the clinic in Germany.

He's the son of the person who invented it, and he likely spent long hours as a youth being surrounded by girls his age in braces. I'm sure that had some effect on his growing adolescent mind, but I'm not sure that any of that has anything to do with the practice itself.
                              Just a small clarification hdugger - he is: the son of Christina, who is the daughter of the inventor, Katharina. So, the clinic has been overseen by three generations. Katharina has passed, Christina is in retirement, and that leaves Hans as the only truly active family member remaining. His name was so linked with The Schroth Method, that it is rumored that he took his wife's name.

The web site for the clinic in Germany has been redesigned - personally, I preferred the old one.

http://www.asklepios.com/klinik/defa...Bad_Sobernheim

Hans has left the clinic - for reasons that remain unknown - and is now in private practice, with a New Schroth, or what is being called Power Schroth. Essentially the same method with some streamlining. As I understand it, the updated method can be taught to physical therapists in 3-7 days, and out-patient orientation takes about two weeks. The History remains long and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SUSANNA FREDERI View Post
                                We were in Germany last month and we witnessed doctors from all over the world visiting Dr. Weiss in order to learn his method. American doctors should follow them!
                                Yes they should Susanna. It is taking forever for the method to become known in this country. And thank you for your posting!

Comment

Working...
                                X