6 days until first surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 days until first surgery

I see my doctor on Thursday and was wondering if there are any specific questions I should ask? I think I've asked all the obvious like how long in surgery (4 hours), how long in the hospital (4 days), exactly what they are doing (entering from the front and fixing the bottom of my spine). I just feel I am forgetting something. Thanks for the help friends!
    Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
    Fusion with Harrington Rod, Milw, WI
    T4 to L4
    Pre-Surgery: 76 & 80
    Post-Surgery: 18 & 21

5/2010 48 yrs old, Thornton, CO
    Flat Back, severe arthritis on bottom, severe pain & can barely walk

7/13/2010 surgery - anterior
    7/27/2010 surgery - posterior
    8/30/2010 infection in abdomen surgery - 5 in hole
    10/28/2010 infection surgery - bigger hole
    11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

Hi Barb,

Have you been told what levels are to be fused?
    Will you be having p/t during your recovery?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Perhaps others will come up with some good questions.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wishing you well on your upcoming surgeries, Barb. I’m sure you will do quite well. You’ve put yourself in good hands and your faith will sustain you.

Comment

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery Barb. I hope you'll let us know how you're going when you are able. We'll be thinking of you on the 13th.

Comment

My thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you.
          1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I remember how much pain you have been in and that it appeared unlikely you would be approved for surgery.

I'm glad you found surgical help. I see it will be a staged procedure with two weeks in-between and I assume this will be easier on your body, especially since the first stage (anterior) will be "only" four hours - short for many revision operation. I hope this stage (Mon/Tues?) will be over soon and you can be healing in preparation for the second one.

I recall that you still have young sons at home, and I'm thinking about you and your whole family at this stressful time. So glad you have your strong faith to sustain you and them! If you are able to have someone keep us posted about your recovery, you will have many concerned readers.
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Levels to be fussed

The first surgery they will be taking out all the arthritis and degenerated discs between levels L4-L5 and L5-S1. Then they will put in plastic cages and fill them with cadaver bone marrow. They will attached a strip of metal and screws to hold the vertebra in place. Sounds easy!!!

After the first surgery, they will take more scoliosis x-rays to see how straight I am. Then they will have more of an idea what they need to do during the second.

As of now, the second surgery they want to remove my Harrington Rod (if possible) or the lose parts. Then they will fuse the rest of the spine above and below. They are not sure yet if they will need to do any osteotomies or how high they will need to go.

I do know I will have a walker and a brace from the legs up.

Tuesday.....here we come!!
              Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
              Fusion with Harrington Rod, Milw, WI
              T4 to L4
              Pre-Surgery: 76 & 80
              Post-Surgery: 18 & 21

5/2010 48 yrs old, Thornton, CO
              Flat Back, severe arthritis on bottom, severe pain & can barely walk

7/13/2010 surgery - anterior
              7/27/2010 surgery - posterior
              8/30/2010 infection in abdomen surgery - 5 in hole
              10/28/2010 infection surgery - bigger hole
              11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

Comment

You sound great! I suppose the prospect of getting rid of that pain would make anyone positive. I hope you have loads of support for plenty of TLC when you get home. Looking forward to hearing from you when you are able.

Comment

Working...
                X