Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think the doctor gave me the wrong exercices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the doctor gave me the wrong exercices?

Im 17. yesterday I went to a physioterapist and she gave me some exercices. My curve is the S way. Left part of my chest is bigger than the left part. My hips are uneven. The emptiness of my hip is on the right part. The left part is flat. (all of these if you are me . I mean Im saying right-left by lookin at MY left and right arms form My eyes)
    Im concerned because this woman told me to put my RIGHT arm up while doing exercices and left leg up. I dont think that its right? I mean is it? can someone who understands about these answer me?? thanks!

Originally posted by pearlgirl View Post
    can someone who understands about these answer me?? thanks!
    As different schools of PT says different, sometimes mutually exclusive things, I suggest NOBODY understands these things (except McIntire of course!).

Who told you to do PT? Are you seeing an experienced orthopedic surgeon specializing in scoliosis?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by pearlgirl View Post
      Im 17. yesterday I went to a physioterapist and she gave me some exercices. My curve is the S way. Left part of my chest is bigger than the left part. My hips are uneven. The emptiness of my hip is on the right part. The left part is flat. (all of these if you are me . I mean Im saying right-left by lookin at MY left and right arms form My eyes)
      Im concerned because this woman told me to put my RIGHT arm up while doing exercices and left leg up. I dont think that its right? I mean is it? can someone who understands about these answer me?? thanks!
      I'm not sure I understand your curve. An S curve would be a double curve and would be a left lumbar curve with a right thoracic?

Right arm and left leg up while doing exercises?? I suppose it depends on what exercises and what the therapist is trying to accomplish. Is she following the Schroth Method or doing some other therapy?

As Pooka said, no one really knows the answer to this. But it is very important for you to understand what your therapist is doing and why she is doing it. It is also important for you to understand your curve as much as possible. Ask lots of questions. Ask the therapist why you are doing a certain exercise. And if you don't understand, tell her that. Force her to explain everything to you. This is part of being a therapist.

Comment

I recommend the following two resources:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilates-Therap.../dp/B000NAHCEY
        http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com

Both therapists seem to know a LOT about scoliosis patients, and our special needs.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Whatever she does I hope she is dealing with a orthopedic surgeon. As we all know by know, scoliosis can be associated with certain connective tissue disorders wherein certain exercise might be contraindicated.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X