Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term use of Pain Meds

Hi all,
    I have a question about pain med use for long term durations and to add a little more drama to our story

1) Pain Meds Maddie has been on various soft and hard pain medication since November of last year. My mother who is in Hospice has some of the same meds. I have tried to call the docs and they have not re turned my phone call. The last visit was hard for us since we found out about our daughter and the trouble she had during her last semester. We were wiped. Should have cancelled but would have had to pay a fee
    M. is having withdrawal symptoms unless she takes her meds. Is this normal?

2) I had a physcian friend read a narrative M and I wrote about the long experience. His words echoed all of yours and he apologized for his profession. Said M. had been put through hell. M. had been holding out for her old doctor but I decided to show her what he wrote and we are going for a consult July 30th. When we see ID we will ask for another doc. There are several. One is a nureosurgeon. Any thoughts on that one?

3) After waiting since last December, we are finally on a state supported health plan that covers parts that insurance doesn't pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4)HAve a Happy 4th!

Long term pain meds

On long term pain meds the body's metabolism gets used to the opiates. This is NOT addiction but physical withdrawal. It is not a moral issue.

I went through this after being on strong meds for 4 months post -op. Tapering off of medications should be done under medical supervision to make it easier. Sometimes antidepressants are used to help and they help pain as well by a poorly understood mechanism.

On Hospice this is not an issue.

True addiction is taking medications not for pain but for "feeling high" and to "cope" with life when physical pain is not present.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hi Karen
      thanks for that input, Karen...
      as a retired drug and alcohol counselor, i am amazed at the people on forum who use the word "addiction" so freely!!
      if any had spent time in a detox or rehab facility, they wouldnt throw that word around that way!

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X