Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Leahdragonfly

Hi Gayle,

I tried to respond to your private message, but it wouldn't allow me to type more than a few words - so I couldn't respond to you that way. I'm 13 weeks post op and feel little or no pain at this point, and yes a computer job would be very easy for me right now, sadly not massage therapy. I started weaning off the meds at six weeks and was completely off all meds at nine weeks post op. I can drive, play with my kids, and pretty much do everything at this point. I also do not need naps at all anymore during the day, and sleep very well through the night. So I'm sure you will do great. Is your surgery T9 to the sacrum also? If you need any advice about anything please do not hesitate to ask me.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Thanks a lot, Lynette! You sound like you are doing great, which is very encouraging.

My surgery is planned for T10-pelvis.

Where did you rest during the day when you were not in bed? I am wondering if I need a recliner or something else?
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
      Thanks a lot, Lynette! You sound like you are doing great, which is very encouraging.

My surgery is planned for T10-pelvis.
      Me too - with two out of four so far, anyway. What're your curves? (Looked but didn't find. Maybe I missed it in your posts)

Where did you rest during the day when you were not in bed? I am wondering if I need a recliner or something else?
      About that too, I've been wondering. It might be a good alternative to completely replacing my bed., especially if my preferences may change over time. Yesterday at a consult, I was really in pain after a couple of hours of waiting in an exam room with only an upright examining table (at least, that's how it was set).

He walked in on me attempting to "lie down" partly in air, by putting several chairs together beneath me (using the seat of the examining chair as headrest). Didn't know how much pain I could feel sitting in a bad chair for a long time. (Somehow, since my calves are short, it really hurts my lumbar region to be forced to sit, with legs danging in any way. Ouch just remembering! )

Anyone have any links for the kind of recliners they are talking about for post-surgery recuperation? (Sounds like a thread to me, but first I'll check the archives!)
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi...

I've actually heard of some surgeons prohibiting their patients from using recliners during the early postop period, so you might want to check before you buy anything. I can tell you that I personally preferred chairs that weren't overly padded. Anything that allowed me to sink in was too difficult to get out of.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

About the recliner. It was recommended to me also, I even looked into renting an electric lift one because I was warned that I would not be able to get out of a regular one. But I came across a thread in this forum where several people had them and were very uncomfortable in them, so I did not want to waste the money to rent it if it would not work. I was going to cost about $100/month.

During my recovery, when I would visit at my father and sister who both have recliners, I found my dad's very comfortable and my sister's not so much. So I guess each one if different and you are taking a chance in what you get and would not know until you try it post op.

Do a search on this forum under recliners and you will find the thread.

Good luck.

Melissa

Comment

I would not recommend a recliner after this kind of surgery. For me personally I rested in the only place that I had any kind of comfort and pain relief, and that was my bed. The only way I could sit somewhat comfortably was in an upright chair with a pillow at the back of me.
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I never used a recliner. Here's what I did....I took one of my dining room chairs that had a padded seat (for the butt) and put a regular pillow (bed pillow) on the back (the wooden part you lean against.) This chair had arms which made it easier to get up and down. It sat me up straight but the hard wood back was padded by the pillow and felt fine. No need to buy a recliner in my opinion.
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I started out sitting in my computer chair w/ a pillow behind me, I could raise it so I could get out easier. I think I changed chairs once a month as I healed. I would go around the house until I found which one suited me at the time, then had it moved to the living room.

We are all different though, I could not sit on anything fluffy in my brace.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X