pregnancy after scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnancy after scoliosis

Hi, I had corrective surgery on my scoliosis about 9 years ago. I am now expecting a baby and have many concerns about how scoliosis will effect my pregnancy?

I have a metal rod in the lower part of back, I am unsure if I will be able to have an epidural etc....

Any advice will be most helpfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sacha...

More than likely, and ultimately depending on which vertebrae are fused, you won't be able to have an epidural, but otherwise your fusion should have no affect on your pregnancy. You might want to ask your OB to set up an appointment with the anesthesiologist.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sacha,

I had surgery back in 1975, with Harrington Rods from T5-L3, when I was 14. In 1990 I had a daughter and in 1993 my son was born. My scoliosis, (or the rods), caused no problems for me during my pregnancy or during the birth of either child. I'm not sure about an epideral because I didn't have one for either of my kids. All of my back problems started in 1996, years after my kids were born.

Good luck with your pregnancy and don't worry too much about your back or getting an epidural during labor. The fusions are pretty secure and, at least in my situation, the doctor wasn't conserned at all.
      Sherri

Comment

epidurals

I did a brief search for labor epidurals. I found this recent study which said it could be done depending on the extent of the previous fusion and degree of scoliosis. There is a greater chance that the epidural might not be successful.

This is a recent study. My search was not thorough by any means but I didn't have enough time to review the hundreds of articles in that data base.

Karen

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...tool=iconabstr
        Last edited by Karen Ocker; 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

sacha...there was alot of talk on this subject on the yahoo groups fiesty flatbacker site this summer,you might want to search there.

(http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ioFlatbackers/)

the highlights I recall were that many people had epidurals, although I cant recall how long their fusions were. The main thing many recommended was bringing their films to delivery so they would be able to place the needle. You probably will have better luck in a setting that has alot of experience....I would guess that alot of the more rural hospitals would not undertake it. You could also make an appt with the anesthetist to talk about the possibility. You should definitly talk to your OB about it.

I had one vaginal delivery without anything...I had been told epidural was not possible...so I never pursued it( and of course being a stoic scoli I did not ever think I would have asked for it in retrospect!) It went fine, a healthy baby boy...now almost 9yrs old!

I am sure you will have a wonderful pregnancy. Cam

Comment

Working...
          X