Pain related question- Surgery 2 weeks ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsully View Post
    I know exactly how you fell. Today my hat and cold sweats where so bad I thought I had the flu. However, I have been cutting back on my meds. Before I would wake up all during the night and take my PRN meds, now I stgopped doing that the last couple days. Then this morning I took my long acting Oxycodone, and still felt pretty good, so in 4 hours I took strictly Tylenol. Then I did the same in the next 4 hours. Then I started feeling horrible!!!! Thus I broke down and took a Percocet without much relief and 2 hours later took a Valium and now I feel good. The problem is I only have 3 more Valium so I am not sure how much longer the DR wanted me to take these as he works a hour away. I guess I'll have to make the dreaded phone call. Don't want to feel like a druggie. Good Luck!
    Janet
    I know what you mean about not wanting to feel like a druggie, but for cryin' out loud you just had MAJOR SURGERY. If your surgeon won't refill your Rx, then I would call your GP. Geez, I can't believe anyone would expect you to be off meds already, although it sounds like your doing quite well. I hope you feel better!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
      I know exactly how you fell. Today my hat and cold sweats where so bad I thought I had the flu. However, I have been cutting back on my meds. Before I would wake up all during the night and take my PRN meds, now I stgopped doing that the last couple days. Then this morning I took my long acting Oxycodone, and still felt pretty good, so in 4 hours I took strictly Tylenol. Then I did the same in the next 4 hours. Then I started feeling horrible!!!! Thus I broke down and took a Percocet without much relief and 2 hours later took a Valium and now I feel good. The problem is I only have 3 more Valium so I am not sure how much longer the DR wanted me to take these as he works a hour away. I guess I'll have to make the dreaded phone call. Don't want to feel like a druggie. Good Luck!
      Janet
      Janet,
      Make the phone call!!!!! You are 3 weeks out from surgery, of course your doctor will refill your pain meds. You are not a "druggie" if you are having pain. I had surgery in mid-March and am still on Norco a couple times a day. If you need it, you need it. Don't try to cut down too soon before your body is ready, ;-)
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi there! I hope you're getting better ! I'm 19 and had fusion last year. I think everyone can agree that we know that pain. I had horrible, feverish, uncontrollable shakes after sugery. And moving was something that did not come easy...it'll be like this for a while :{ My doctor and physical therapist both told me to look forward to the 6th week and for me it really was the magical week where everything got better and better. The healing process is so similar to a broken bone and bones don't get better untill after the 6th week mark. It may not seem like it but week by week your body's tolerances will get longer . Its not an easy recovery but I hope it gets easier for you! O and tv series + movies on a laptop really got my mind off of where I was :} Feel free to ask questions.
        Maliha

Comment

All i have to say is do not cut down on your pain meds early. Just woke up in so much pain and had to 2 pain pills instead of 1 which i've not done for days now. It will catch up to you. Still freezin, in long pj's in florida.
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

For cryin out loud!

Rohrer - I haven't heard the expression 'for cryin out loud' for ages! That sure made me smile this morning.

jsully - It's hard for most of us to 'make that (dreaded) call' to get the drug script filled. I was only ever given enough meds for about 10 days at a time so I was making 'the call' quite often. And let me just say they expect you to call. You had major surgery a couple of weeks ago......much more than a broken leg or shoulder surgery. (not to diminish those in any way...) Don't be so hard on yourself, if you need meds, TAKE THEM! It's no fun when the pain gets ahead of you, as you've found out.

Keep us updated when you can and hang in there....
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Called the DR. He is in surgery. guess I should've called sooner. The problem is my appt. is 7/23 and all my meds will be gone by then. I guess there is no way to conserve. Thanks for making me feel better and giving me the courage.
              janet
              36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Yea for you! Calling wasn't so hard now, was it?

Of course, your Dr. would be in surgery huh? That's always the case. Does your Dr. have a partner who could write a script for you? Or a PA? July 23 is a long time from now and with a holiday week-end it could take a bit of doing if you have to wait for a mailed script, but it could be done.

In my case, the prescriptions came out of Dr. Kebaish's office but were generated electronically with an electronic signature. Then the script was mailed to me as Baltimore is approx. 2 hours from my home. I had to call in advance so there was enough time to get it through the mail, so it seemed like I was always calling. The plus side of that though, was the wonderful Helena in their office who kept tabs on me. (She is a gem!)

As a last resort, it's possible your PCP could write a prescription for you until you get your routine figured out? Just a thought.....
                Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                Achieved +70% Correction
                Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                New Spine 03/19/2009
                New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Janet - You're waaay too early to be cutting back on meds - I tried the same thing as you, and suffered exactly the way you are right now. The pain hits you suddenly. You think you're going so great because you're feeling better each day, and you think okay I'll try cutting my meds back because I'm sick of feeling like a zombie, but boy your body soon tells you - no way. This is a huge surgery, and you are doing great Janet. What I did to top up my meds was call my local GP and got her to refill my percocets etc., and that made it nice and easy. I didn't wean officially off the pills till I was about six weeks post op, and then I finished the last meds at nine weeks post op, so I was completely off the meds at nine weeks post op. For some people that might be too early, and for others too late, but each one of us has different tolerance for pain etc. I also empathize so much for you with the hot and cold sweats, they were horrific. I hated them, and I continued to have them for two weeks after being off the meds, now thank God they are gone completely. There is light at the end of the tunnel Janet, hang in there, each day WILL get better and better!
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Still no work.. I guess I should have called his personal cell phone but I didn't want to be a PIA since he was in surgery and all. Hopefully I hear wed.
                    36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Janet - I used to text Dr. Cronen & he always text me back quite promptly. I did this for meds also and got a prescription immediately.
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I'll be doing that this AM. Thanks.
                        36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Working...
                        X