Had my 12 week post op today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my 12 week post op today

I had a good visit with my lovely doctor today, in fact, I cried in his office when I was telling him how much he has changed my life for the better. He is such a fantastic doctor, as well as very compassionate and caring.

My back is healing nicely and he showed me my xrays which he said looked great.

I have slight kyphosis on my upper thoracic spine, however he said it looks so good there will probably be very little chance of needing a revision surgery in the future, of course no guarantees, UNLESS - I go back to massage work. He said I could do massage if I have the table up high, and unfortunately, if the table is up that high, you cannot give deep massage which is what most people want. So I'm looking at possibly going back to school and getting an Associates of Science Degree, so that I can become a "Sign Language Interpreter". My best friend is Chief of Audiology and teaches as a professor also at the Tampa University teaching sign language. She wouldn't be the one teaching me, but she was telling me about the career and it interests me greatly. I've always loved learning languages, so this is just a different kind of language, and then I would be able to help the disabled community.

Anyway, my next visit with my doctor is in another three months time. I feel fantastic and I can't believe how great I feel just 12 weeks post op. I can't say enough how happy I am to have made the decision to have surgery, and I can't thank all of you enough for being such an amazing support system for me.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

GREAT news, Lynette! - all but the business about yr massage therapy licensure.

You're simplifying things a WHOLE lot. You've really toughed it out to the extent I've worried about you a good deal. Your kids are lucky to have such an inspirational, caring Mama.

Re career moves - what about hypnotherapy? You got me really interested. Meanwhile, I'm sure whatever you choose to do, you'll make a significant contribution doing it. Dr Cronen sounds great, and I'm glad you found him!

Forge ahead!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Really good news! I, too, was worried about you. When you had your leg pain I was wondering if it would ever go away and if you regretted your surgery. You are living proof that it takes time for wounds to heal. Recovery isn't a nice process, but it is necessary and different for everyone. I'm very relieved to hear you love your surgical outcome. Stories like yours really do help those of us on the fence. We see the reality of the surgery while you are recovering, but the vast majority are glad they did it. I hope you continue to do well and live a pain free life! (well as pain free as anyone can expect - )
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Lynette,

I'm so happy for you. It's hard to believe immediately post op that things will get better, but they do. And believe it or not you will continue to improve for a long time to come. I think I'm still improving, and it's a little over a year and a half.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynette - so good to hear your great news. It has been a long journey and you sound so great. I feel like I also came out with Kyphosis. I think that means a bit rounded in the thorasic area. I feel like I am very rounded and shoulders are forward, I am hoping with physical therapy some of my muscles will settle down and pull back. Did your Dr. say the Kyphosis remains. But I agree like you, my spine is nice and straight.
          I am just so glad all has come out good for you. I have marveled that you are also busy being Mom to two young children. I could barely take care of myself during recovery.
          Congratulations on your great outcome and 12 week visit.
          Take care, Shari
          Shari - 55 years old
          Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
          Post op 13 degree curve.
          Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
          2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
          Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
          www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Congrats from me too Lynnette. Glad you had happy tears today in Dr. Cronin's ofice.

Your change of career sounds wonderful. Best of luck with it!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Amanda - thank you for your lovely kind encouraging words. You are a very lovely interesting personality, extremely intelligent, and great sense of humor - I have enjoyed reading your posts on here

Rohrer - Thank you for your kind words. I was really panicky there for a while thinking my leg would never get better, but as you say, time is a great healer!

Debbei - That's great that you are still improving, and I'm thrilled to hear that I will probably continue to improve also

ShariMSU - Thanks also for your lovely kind words. I actually had kyphosis in my upper thoracic area prior to surgery, which was why originally my doctor was going to operate on me from T2 to the sacrum, but he decided he only needed to operate from T9 to the sacrum. I'm happy it was only from T9 and not from T2, because recovery may have been harder, not sure actually, but either way recovery is hard I suppose. Glad I have a straight back now though
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Hi Lynette,

Your post was so great to hear. When I first came on to the forum, there were a number of people who had been here posting for awhile and then had surgery. Then I remember you coming on and introducing yourself, so it was my first start to finish surgery of another. I really was worried when your leg was misbehaving. Sometimes I would think about you at random times in the week, and I would get this sick feeling that along with everything else you were enduring, you were going to have a bum leg. So your post seems a little like graduation, and you are wearing a new dress. I've watched four of my kids graduate so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm so glad it's all working out and that you feel so great about yourself. I'm also glad that the critter problem in the attic was resolved. I think that whatever career move you make, that profession will be lucky to have you.
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

That is really great news about your recovery Lynette

Melissa

Comment

Wow Amy, thank you so much for thinking of me in the past, and for feeling like you've watched me graduate, that is so thoughtful and kind of you to say. I truly can't get over how loved and special EVERYONE on this forum has made me feel through all my trials and tribulations. It's so wonderful knowing that everyone on here really knows what you're feeling and going through, whereas even though family care, and others care, they don't have a clue as to the pain and suffering and how our deformities affect us personally. So, it's been a wonderful outlet for me here, and I'll probably keep coming on this forum for as long as it exists, or as long as I live .

Thanks Melissa, how are you doing? Hope your recovery is going great too.
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Thanks Melissa, how are you doing? Hope your recovery is going great too.[/QUOTE]

I am doing ok, except for my left side. my surgeon wants me to come in to see him and he is on vacation until next Friday .So I will just wait and see.

Thanks for asking

Melissa

Comment

Lynette,
                        I so happy to hear you got a good report from your surgeon. I know you did more than most at such a early stage in your recovery trying to take care of your boys. Being a retired kindergarten teacher, I was happy to hear you report that you read to them each night. It's so important!
                        Career changes can be a good thing, too.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Lynette

I knew you would do just fine... I never had any doubts, even with the femoral nerve irritation.

However, I was a little weary when the house was being attacked by the "rodente's" in the middle of the night under sedation.

You can look back and laugh at things like that. Just think, you will have to learn to sign about that one.

You are a trooper!
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Lynette:

So glad to hear how well you are doing too! Looks like you, Laura, and I went into this togther and came about together just as fine.

After all you went through you were an encouragement to me all the way. Let's have a cyber toast to our progress and keep up the good work.

Melissa

Fussion T9-L5
                            Pre Op 60 Degree Lumbar Curve
                            Post Op 20 Degbree Lumbar Curve

Comment

Ed - Thank you so much - you were a most outstanding encouragement and support to me, you helped me get through the most difficult period of all, and I will never forget that. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will definitely learn how to sign about my rodent experience

Melissa - Here's a cyber toast to all of us who came through our experiences - not only survived through it, but did great too Cheers!!!
                              Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X