The benefits of being fused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to bring this one back up again...

Sitting on airplanes for long flights has gotten easier for sure....I still carry a down pillow in a carryon, but that is due to the horrible seat design, and not my back. Imagine that...lol

Crappy motel beds that are hammocked 4 inches are much easier to deal with now...lol

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for bring this up again Ed - I can't believe I missed it back in June. Both my DD's have Scoliosis - One fused 2/10, we are close to surgery (11/10) for my eldest. She held out a long time making her decision about surgery. Dr's told her 4 years ago her curves would progress - she didn't want to believe them. After her sisters surgery and recovery I think she noticed the benefits. She is no longer in pain from keeping her body upright and can walk and sit comfortably for hours now.

No doubt the appearence change also factored in - teenagers! My youngest is straight, taller, even, painfree, and doesn't fatigue with walking. Has just passed 7 months post op - was released from restrictions at 6.

I hope with all my heart that my oldest will have the same results. She doesn't have constent pain, but is way to achy for a 20 year old. She suffers from severe muscle spasms at the apex of her curve which she wishes to alleviate. She used to show our horse in Dressage, but hasn't riden in years. Went on a trail ride last weekend, and she had a great time. She hopes to be able to ride post surgery, but even if they say no she will go through with it because she can't now comfortably.

As a Mom I hope they have normal lives without pain and deformity from Scoliosis. I'm so thankful they have the opportunity of excellent surgerons and care. I'm also very thankful for this forum and all of you who post - you can't begin to know the peace of mind I've gotten here at times of need!!

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Thank You

This has been a great thread to read. I have copied and pasted it in a Word document. I am still in the "considering to have surgery" phase. Just reading about walking and cooking makes me want to schedule the surgery. Entertaining is "painful" because of all the standing.

Thank you all.
        Irene

Comment

Thanks for the thread Ed! And have a great vacation. At just 4 weeks post op I can't believe the benefits I'm feeling. I keep saying, for today I feel good, because I know they're may be setbacks along the way but my body feels betters than it has in a long time.
          *I knew I was in constant pain of varying levels for many years, but i think i just accepted it and minimized it because it wasn't debilitating or keeping me from doing anything, but man it FEELS SO GOOD to not have throbbing pain in my upper right, lower left back and right hip (it's not just the pain meds talking, because I'm down to 1 overnight)
          *I don't need to worry about my lung getting crunched!! (This was my main reason for surgery, because I had mild restrictive lung disease - that the pulm. believed was due to scoli.)
          *I can breath at night without getting my arms and legs into a contorted position. I can take nice deep breaths.
          *Here's a crazy one that I really haven't heard anyone else talk about. I used to get hoarseness and post nasal drip regularly. The Ear nose and throat doc thought this was due to the top valve of my esophogus not lined up correctly due to scoli. Well in the hospital after surgery my voice was clear and no post nasal drip. Still not positive from the scoli. correction, but one more prob. crossed off the list.
          *Yes my ribs are off my waist
          *Yes I have a waist!!
          *I'm an inch taller, this has been fun

I'm still in the early stages and know there's alot of healing ahead, but I feel very grateful. One thing I might miss is stretching and arching my back - I did a backbend the day before surgery and said goodbye to that, but I 'll take the tradeoff!
          Debra
          Age 45
          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
          Fused T4-T12
          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I thought of 2 more.
            *Even shoulders, not hips though
            *My right arm can reach backwards, there was always a hump in the way before. I'm hoping this is going to help me out with my tennis game.
            Debra
            Age 45
            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
            Fused T4-T12
            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

thank you all for posting this!!!!

as someone who is seriously considering whether or not to go ahead with the surgery, it is really encouraging to read so many of you doing SO WELL years after your fusions.

thanks again, I'm going to show this thread to my husband and say "SEE! people are actually GLAD they had it done!!!" lol
              Rebecca
              Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
              wore night bending brace as teenager
              Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
              herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
              fusion L2-3 November 2008
              Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
              Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
              Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
              gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
              Before and After X-rays
              My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I responded to this when it was first posted back in June. Just wanted to add that now that I'm back to my teaching job, I can appreciate my life without back pain even more. I teach elem. and ms orchestra and this week I had a double rehearsal which meant standing for the better part of two hours. I could not have done that a year ago.

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks everyone for reminding me of the benefits. I hope I feel this way soon also. Right now everyone asks me what is wrong with my back when before it was only 50%. I am tired of looking abnormal. I hope I will look normal again soon. I still walk very gaurded and bend over. I will be four months post op in one week from today. I feel less pain in fused areas already but still have difficulty walking I think because my fusion is so long. (Hopefully). As far as restrictions my Dr just told me to avoid "bouncy" activities and this is only to save my L5-S1 disc, the only one I didn't get fused so I can still bend over. I did return to a quite demanding job 3 weeks ago which may contribute to my stiffness and gaurded walking. I also notice my self trying not to do activities to pinch my last disc. Perhaps it would have been better to just have it fused as well. Although, I don't know if I want to give up the ability to bend. Tough choice. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. My husband gets upset because he thinks I only care about how I look. Truthfully, that is correct.....what woman doesn't?
                  Janet
                  36 year young cardiac RN
                  old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                  new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                  Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                  Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                  and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
                    Thanks everyone for reminding me of the benefits. I hope I feel this way soon also. Right now everyone asks me what is wrong with my back when before it was only 50%. I am tired of looking abnormal. I hope I will look normal again soon. I still walk very gaurded and bend over. I will be four months post op in one week from today. I feel less pain in fused areas already but still have difficulty walking I think because my fusion is so long. (Hopefully). As far as restrictions my Dr just told me to avoid "bouncy" activities and this is only to save my L5-S1 disc, the only one I didn't get fused so I can still bend over. I did return to a quite demanding job 3 weeks ago which may contribute to my stiffness and gaurded walking. I also notice my self trying not to do activities to pinch my last disc. Perhaps it would have been better to just have it fused as well. Although, I don't know if I want to give up the ability to bend. Tough choice. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. My husband gets upset because he thinks I only care about how I look. Truthfully, that is correct.....what woman doesn't?
                    Janet
                    Janet,
                    I am fused to the sacrum and I can still bend , although it is from the hips. It is just the first few months that you have bending restrictions and then you slowly ease up on that. Evelyn (confusedmom) can attest to this! We met for lunch and I dropped my keys and I bent right down and picked them up with no thought! I hope you can find a solution for your posture problems. Is it getting any better?
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                      Janet,
                      I am fused to the sacrum and I can still bend , although it is from the hips. It is just the first few months that you have bending restrictions and then you slowly ease up on that. Evelyn (confusedmom) can attest to this! We met for lunch and I dropped my keys and I bent right down and picked them up with no thought! I hope you can find a solution for your posture problems. Is it getting any better?
                      Thanks it has gotten better on some some days. Other days it is hard to straighten out. Today I feel very straight but can't bend very well. I prefer that to being bent over though. I do feel my shoulders starting to get sore (I have been at work since 0530) so I will probabally start leaning soon. I guess I should be happy there is some improvement. It is just SLOW.
                      Janet
                      36 year young cardiac RN
                      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Wow. I thought I was the only one who had issues standing in the kitchen and cooking. Funny how I can work an 8-10 hour day, yet be in more pain spending one hour cutting, peeling and chopping! If my surgery helps that, I will be a happy camper!!!!!!!!! And the scrunched up, ribs resting on my hip bone, thing drives me crazy. I didn't think I had a chance of losing my muscle pain from sitting or standing for long periods, but maybe I will get lucky. Some of you actually did! I hope I can sleep at night without numerous pillows/props supporting me to alleviate some of the nerve pain. Yahoo!!! Thanks, you guys, for making me feel that this surgery will have far more benefits than disadvantages.
                        Jenee'-52
                        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                        9 hours
                        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                        Non-fusion
                        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

I didn't go back through to read all of the other posts, but the standing and chopping caught my eye. Before surgery 10 minutes of that would do me in. Now that is not a problem. So that and just standing for a period of time, I can do much better! Just had to chime in on that. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Me too

My first Christmas post op, (9 months) I was amazed to be able to stand at the kitchen bench all day, feeding the masses. In such contrast to the year before when I was in pain all day.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yeah, me too.

And Jenee, yes- I can work all day sewing and selling, along with hauling retail stuff around- putting away, organizing, beautifying, shlepping furniture around...and I'm on automatic pilot - I get home and all I want to do is lie down. Internet activity is increasing and life is decreasing. Not good.

When I chop, I usually sing the "she's choppin' broccoliiii..." song from Sat Night Live- Dana Carvey. I gotta keep singing!
                              Amy
                              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                              Exercising to correct

Comment

The biggest thing I noticed is really kind of a little thing: before surgery, I could NOT stand in a book store or a card store and browse -- something about standing still with my head down was impossible after 5 minutes. Now I can browse indefinitely without giving it a thought.

Not to mention the chopping and dicing at the kitchen counter -- I can do that too!
                                Chris
                                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                                X