X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
    There are some negatives as well you know

I was told that I can never do the following

ride amuse park rides; do white water rafting; go ballooning, in case you crash; roller blade,bungee jumping. There were several other that I cannot remember at the moment . The one that I really will miss is roller coasters but I will not miss the pain in my back more.

Melissa
    Melissa,

Has your doctor said why you can't do all of these things?

Davis, No, what mbeckoff said is not true for everyone. I know some doctors are more cautious than others and sometimes the restrictions and recovery time is very different for teens having this surgery as compared to adults having this surgery. My daughter has a long fusion (and no screws in her back whatsoever) and her doctor okay'd her to ride roller coasters, 4-wheelers, etc. at one year post-op.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis View Post
      Jeez mbeckoff ... not to be able to ride amusement park rides... ever again? Is that something that goes for everyone that has had fusion? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a bit new.

No, this is just what my surgeon told me. I am 51 years old and I guess, have old bones as I am going to have to wear my brace for at least 6 months post op. I , also, have a bone stimulator that I have to wear 4 hours daily. The items that I had to give up I really do not mind as I gladly give them up to get rid of my pain.If only my left side pain would go away!

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Davis View Post
        Jeez mbeckoff ... not to be able to ride amusement park rides... ever again? Is that something that goes for everyone that has had fusion? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a bit new.
        You need to ask your surgeon about this for your case.

The only restriction my daughters have is bungee jumping which most folks should avoid anyway as I understand it.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Benefits

The obvious first benefit that comes to mind is the pain relief in the lower back. I asked my husband what else I should add and he said, "Isn't that one enough?" Meaning the change in my personality has been that dramatic. (chronic pain can really mess with you!)

Another benefit, though not physical, is the feeling of strength I have, knowing I made a difficult decision to have the surgery in the first place, that I went through it and conquered every challenge that came along during recovery. I am on the other side and I am a different person.

I'll also add sitting comfortably in most chairs. I can sit in a movie theater seat again without fidgeting (I couldn't get through the previews before my back started hurting). Can sit in a pew or a bench - no problems.

Walking to shop or whatever, not a problem! and standing for long periods of time to do anything-not a problem! :-)

Have been able to resume gardening and dance lessons with few problems (of course there are some flexibility issues)

Melissa - I hear what you are saying about your restrictions list - I was not told never to do the things you mentioned but I intend to use caution when attempting those things. I intend to try roller coasters again but will be more selective - only those types that are smoother, usually inverted, feet hanging free with padded upper head and shoulder seating, hydraulic, padded body bar.
          As far as white water rafting - its more of a safety issue than one that would hurt your fusion. Takes upper body strength for paddling and 'pulling your weight' in a raft. Class III could be very challenging - and IV+, forget it. And you need agility and flexibility (quickly) should you need to high side the raft etc.

For those of you awaiting surgery or still deciding, caution should always be used in order to protect the unfused vertebrae, especially those at the ends (top and bottom) of the fusion.

Ed, I have used the 'fusion' excuse to get out of a few things...and sure felt guilty about it! While in Indy my sister and I made a freezer of homemade ice cream. I told Laurie I couldn't do the last pull anymore because it was too hard on my back. She insisted we go ahead and she would take the last turn...she cranked it so hard that she broke the metal handle in three pieces! :-) But that sure was some good ice cream, and my conscience only hurt a little as I was eating it!
          Last edited by doodie; 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

hmmm....i'm really surprised at some of the things folks who are fused are willing to chance...no matter how carefully...i am not judging anyone...every person is different, and what matters to some wont matter at all to others...i realize that...

i dont do alot of the stuff mentioned in the posts...dont have any interest to...especially stuff like roller coasters, etc...as early as age 30 i could no longer handle that kind of stuff...as if some inner ear imbalance or something or other messed with me when i tried those kinds of activities (that i could handle and enjoy when young)...i would get dizzy if i even tried! so obviously it is easy to "give up" things that dont tempt you to begin with...

but there is another reason...
            i swear...if i have the fusion...(down to pelvis)...i would not want to risk breaking or otherwise hurting something! i've read too many threads here of patients with fusion who were sweating doctor visits to find out if they broke rods......to me... it soooo wouldnt be worth it...but that is just me...i realize there are some "dare devils" on forum (one with initials T.E. ) who could not imagine giving up their thrills...

jess

Comment

Well guys, I'm off to Glacier National park on Saturday. That’s in Montana.
              Anyway, I will have more reasons for successful scoliosis surgery after I get there!

And incredible pics from the Many glacier area of the park, which is called the "Switzerland" of America. It’s the jewel of the lower 48 states.

Time for "Oom-pa music, beer, and bears.
              http://irafornita.files.wordpress.co...k-montana1.jpg
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Well guys, I'm off to Glacier National park on Saturday. That’s in Montana.
                Anyway, I will have more reasons for successful scoliosis surgery after I get there!

And incredible pics from the Many glacier area of the park, which is called the "Switzerland" of America. It’s the jewel of the lower 48 states.

Time for "Oom-pa music, beer, and bears.
                http://irafornita.files.wordpress.co...k-montana1.jpg
                Ed
                Ed, Ed, Ed of the jungle....Watch out for those treeeeees!
                Have fun!
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

The benefits of being fused

Great idea for a thread. I look forward to my first visit to the seamstress when she can shorten my pants and they will both be the same length because my hips are now on the same level.

Also, I never realized the number of people who have not seen me in a while who have come up to me and told me how much straighter and taller I look. I was never self concious about how I looked before. Maybe I should have been!

My most important benefit that I have not quite achieved but look forward too and can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel, is getting my life back to "pre scoliosis symptoms" condition. Riding bikes w/the kids, getting through the whole day w/out having someone cook dinnner or take over one of my responsibilities because "mom's back hurts" and just feeling like "me" again!

As far as activities, my doctor told me that I can do anything that I did previously, biking, rollerblading, I even asked about horseback riding and white water rafting because we are going to Colorado in August. He felt that it might be a little too colse to my surgery date, but if I felt up to it I could. Probably to scary and won't, but I guess every doctor is different.

Absolutly more positives than negatives. Only negative, if you want to call them so are learning new ways to do some things due to lack of mobility. But my newly strengthened leg muscles can be turned into a possitive!

Comment

Well, I will have these restrictions and I do not know if it is because of my age ( 51 ) , my bones , ,my long fusion , or if is just my surgeon. So be it. I knew it going into it and I will have to live with it. Hopefully, once I can get rid of the pain on my left side I will feel better about the surgery.

Have a good day everyone

Melissa

Comment

Melissa..hope you feel better really soon! is the left side where there was an incision...or do you think the pain is from something else...?

Ed...brrrr..looks very pretty...from the comfort of my living room! have fun...take lots of pretty pix..

jess
                      Last edited by jrnyc; 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I can remember all those years ago my doctor told me not to go horse riding or diving. That was my only limitations.

Golly, the benefits of fusion have been endless for me. I was only 15 so was not at an age where I found that scoliosis was really limiting, only in the fact about being so bent over on my right side, my ribs were twisted like you wouldn't believe, so cosmetically it was a bit of a pain.

Even now with DDD and all the rest I just am so thankful I was able to have the operation as I honestly know I would not be alive today, let alone have two wonderful sons and 2 grand daughters.

Ed, this is just a great subject as it can show people who have not yet had the surgery just exactly how wonderful life is after it, and just how incredibly lucky we all are. There are a few downsides as I have gotten older but I would not have changed a thing, not a thing.

Lorraine.
                        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorraine 1966 View Post
                          I can remember all those years ago my doctor told me not to go horse riding or diving. That was my only limitations.

Golly, the benefits of fusion have been endless for me. I was only 15 so was not at an age where I found that scoliosis was really limiting, only in the fact about being so bent over on my right side, my ribs were twisted like you wouldn't believe, so cosmetically it was a bit of a pain.

Even now with DDD and all the rest I just am so thankful I was able to have the operation as I honestly know I would not be alive today, let alone have two wonderful sons and 2 grand daughters.

Ed, this is just a great subject as it can show people who have not yet had the surgery just exactly how wonderful life is after it, and just how incredibly lucky we all are. There are a few downsides as I have gotten older but I would not have changed a thing, not a thing.

Lorraine.
                          Your posts are a part of what keeps me getting out of bed in the morning, Lorraine. 1,000 thanks yous.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Benefits of Fusion

Wow!
                            I can walk it seems endlessly...and I love it!
                            I can stand and talk with a group of people and not have to think of having to sit down!
                            My torso seems longer after being all short waisted and scrunchy, I feel skinnier.
                            I don't have to think about my posture, I am soldier- straight
                            My boobs are bigger ;-) , well they aren't all tucked in anymore, lol
                            My clothes fit better, yay
                            I don't dread physical activity like I used to. I actually enjoy it because I don't hurt as much and I can walk!!!!!!
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

thanks everyone!!

Great posts...and info.

Thanks everyone !!!!...very encouraging to hear all the blessings the surgery has brought to so many.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                                Well, I will have these restrictions and I do not know if it is because of my age ( 51 ) , my bones , ,my long fusion , or if is just my surgeon. So be it. I knew it going into it and I will have to live with it. Hopefully, once I can get rid of the pain on my left side I will feel better about the surgery.

Have a good day everyone

Melissa
                                Melissa,

You have a great attitude! It seems the older we get, the more willing we are to deal with restrictions and be grateful for what we DO have.

If my daughter's surgeon had told her at the age of 13 that she couldn't ever ride rollercoasters, etc. for the rest of her life, I would have to say she probably would have wanted to hold off on the surgery and experience as much of life as possible without restrictions. I glad she was able to have both--the surgery at an early age and a normal teenage life.

Thanks for reminding us that we all have some type of limitation and that it is okay.

Mary Lou
                                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                                X