No announcement yet.

The benefits of being fused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,hey, hey.....this is a “benefit” thread!

Stop thinking about death and scoliosis surgery.....Sigh....negative thoughts do not help. Think positive!

Worry about things like building your immune system which is so important!

Organic yogurt, spinach, and adding lemon juice to your drinking water, stuff like that.

And don’t forget about leafy greens! LOL (If you work in the vegetable dept at the grocery store, drop that idea)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has posted here. I am a big mess now with increased pain, scared of the possible X-ray results of progression in 2 weeks with my next surgeon appt......yet looking forward to doing something for relief. Pain pills do not help much. I will reread the positive notes frequently. I need to understand the benefit.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Benefits to being fused...there are many...

I just noticed this thread,and it started me thinking. Even though I have had a rough surgical journey with 2 revisions, I would do it again. I know many of you would be surprised at that.

I am a nurse. I remember that prior to my first scoliosis surgery, I would go to work and just the act of bending next to a patient to hang an IV bag, draw some blood or take a BP would set my back in spasms. I had such intense sciatica in one leg that I would get to limping with pain and had to sit down with my knee to my chin until it would die down. I was in tears many times. The pain was progressive starting in my 20's and I lived like this for many years. After my initial unsuccessful surgery, I could not walk even 1/2 a block. I had the rare complication of sagittal imbalance.

I am pain free now. I work a very busy job and the most pain I may feel is an ache in my lower back. I hesitate to even call it pain after the pre-surgery pain and post-op pain I have experienced. There is nothing I can't do now that I wasn't doing prior to surgery. In fact I can do more.

I have met many people in my daily life and with scoliosis, and most are surprised to learn that they have options like I had. A couple have gone on to have successful scoliosis surgery with my surgeon. Bless him.

My back certainly is not perfect and sometimes I feel envious of people without scoliosis. In the whole scheme of things though, I would have rather dealt with this. Could have been worse.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Kristy

Having sciatica at our age presents an extremely difficult scenario....After you experience the pain that it offers, which I consider one of the worst, along with scoliosis and lumbar degeneration, there isn’t much choice. It makes the surgical decision for you.

My hospital reports state that I “failed” conservative measures. I tried pretty hard through the years and spent a fortune. I think that the best thing that I did in that state was swimming in the ocean. That worked the best, and of course cost nothing.....Maybe I could have moved to a warm area and continued swimming but progression was moving along.....having a 70 degree lumbar with degeneration at age 50 just about warrants surgical intervention. The pain doesn’t tip the scales of decision, it slams it down. When it feels like a horse kicks you in the hip, and the flame thrower is on your ankle, you know your there. When you cant make it across the parking lot, and are left standing in the pouring rain, you know your there.

We are pain free now....and you might have had to do your revisions, and I lost my gall bladder, but it was sure worth it.

I don’t feel envious of people without scoliosis, but have trouble offering sympathy for those non-scoli’s in pain.....I’m not the right person for that job. For scoli’s and kypho’s it’s a different story. I hope I’m not being a sour puss about these feelings......

The tears of pain have ceased.....it’s a thing of the past.

We did it.

My x-rays

Comment

Thank you so much everyone...

Thank you Ed for starting this positive post on scoliosis fusion, and thank you to each and everyone of you that has contributed something positive. I am in the process of scheduling a spinal fusion, and this has helped me so much. I am so blessed.
            Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
            hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

I actually was looking back at some of the old stuff.....and came across this thread.

It's pretty good reading material....(smiley face)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed,
                I just read through this thread and got a little melancholy seeing names of "friends" from the forum who no longer post. I actually just recently checked back in myself. It was strange to read a post of mine from 2010 before I had surgervand then to read a couple from 2012 after surgery. I wonder how New York City, Jess, is doing. She was practically bedridden but did not want to have surgery.
                Last edited by golfnut; 12-24-2016, 04:17 AM.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Just reread my post. I was toast at that point, and although I may take the PRIZE for having some of the worst postop problems, I am still happy that I had my original surgery. Chronic sciatic pain can ruin your life.

Susan....now known as "Titanium Susan" since I have 5 titanium rods
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Susan it is so good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1