No announcement yet.

What to expect while at hospital for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pooka: Her surgeon has down that she'll miss between 6-8 weeks of school. Our school is also on the block scheduling.

The Biology class I could understand due to the supposed large amount of lab work. When she does take this class next semester, if I find out there's very little lab involved, I'm going to be very upset.

I'm still upset about the Algebra II class. Cheyenne flew through Geometry with an A (along with every other math class she's taken since entering school).
    This alone is going to limit the amount of math she can take prior to entering college.

My senior year of HS we had a combined class of US History for the 1st semester and then our choice of Psychology or Sociology for 2nd semester. But that was back in the days when you had 6 classes a semester and classes lasted an entire year, not one semester. Their scheduling is just like college. She is taking World History right now, so she's fulfilling the pre-req at the same time that she's taking Psychology.

Lol about the Creative Writing class. That was mentioned as a possible elective. Cheyenne's weakest classes are her English classes so she wasn't thrilled about this one at all.

Sherie: Our school district is one of the largest ones in AZ. I think the resistance was primarily due to it being the start of the year. And, everyone in the meeting kept blaming the state's cutbacks as part of the reason. I think AZ is near dead last when it comes to education spending.

At least Chey is happy with her schedule. Not so happy about the math class but happy she won't have to deal with that teacher. She told me from the first day of school that she didn't really care for that teacher.

I did get a phone call today from her English teacher. He's great and has his own website he's set up to help his students whenever they need assistance. Chey really loves this guy.

We already know her French III (honors) teacher from last year and he knows of her condition and has been a great teacher to work with.

One very good thing about the meeting that Chey wanted confirmed is that she's on track to graduate a full year early. Even with this set back on her schedule, she's still on her way. She'll be entering college at 16!
    Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffindor View Post
      Lol about the Creative Writing class. That was mentioned as a possible elective.
      LOL. I think some of these psychologists or sociologists should study why there always seem to be empty seats in creative writing classes for emergency transfers and not in honors science electives.

I think AZ is near dead last when it comes to education spending.
      Not on a per capita basis I don't think. If per capita spending is related to performance then MS, LA, and FL are the lowest or among the lowest. I may look that up for my own amazement at some point. I'm guessing IA and WI are among the highest spenders on education.

At least Chey is happy with her schedule.
      Thanks to you.

One very good thing about the meeting that Chey wanted confirmed is that she's on track to graduate a full year early. Even with this set back on her schedule, she's still on her way. She'll be entering college at 16!
      Can I just ask why she wants to graduate a year early?

My kids know that option is available both because they are already ahead in some subjects and could have easily gotten ahead in the others. But they have made no noises about graduating early. I guess they are in no rush and this school offers so many honors level science AP electives that I think it might be a good strategy to take those.

There may be more than one right answer here, too.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka:

I've never really asked her why she wants out so early but if I had to guess, I'd say boredom. Neither of my kids ever really connected with this school. They're not into any extracurricular activities that would help form a bond with the school.

Courses are limited here. If you want to take anything advanced they tell the kids to enroll at the local junior college. That way they get the college credit along with the HS elective credit. The only bad part is that you have to pay for each class, the associated books and misc fees.

Until she's old enough to drive, this won't even be an option for us.

Comment

Hi Gryffindor,

I am SO sorry to hear how difficult the school meeting was---but good for you for pushing through and getting what you needed for your daughter. She is very lucky to have a Mom who does such a great job advocating for her.

I know how difficult these last weeks and days before surgery are--we were just in your position in May, and I clearly remember my distress and anxiety. Please know that you have lots of friends here pulling for you and Cheyenne, and I am confident she will be in the very best of hands at Shriners.

Take care,
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I've been thinking about you and just logged in this morning to see with disbelief all that you are going through to work out the school issues for Cheyenne. I guess if we want to look on the bright side, this has certainly been a distraction in the countdown to surgery.

I wish I had some awesome words of wisdom for you. But I think/pray/hope that you will be as amazed as I have been at just how well most kids do with this surgery.

Jenna has healed amazingly. School started today and I almost wept tears of joy watching her walk in (with her new and improved straight back) laughing and having a good time with all her friends. You WILL get to the other side on this, too. And it feels great!
            Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

I received the completed 504 plan from the school today. I'm posting it here so that anyone who may need one will have access to one:

XXXXXXXX UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT #XX

SECTION 504 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION PLAN

Student Name: ___________________ School: ____________________
              Student ID#: _______DOB: _______ Age: ____ Grade: ____ Year: ______
              Date 504 Plan Initiated: ___________ Date 504 Plan will be Reviewed: ______

Disability Identified on the Section 504 Evaluation Report: Severe scoliosis requiring corrective surgery.

Accommodation(s).................................. ............Person Responsible
              Set of textbooks for home use and set of books in classroom. Teacher/Student/Bookstore

Student will be allowed to leave class 5 minutes early for Fall 2010 semester following corrective surgery to avoid being bumped in the halls. Teacher/Student

Student will be permitted to go to nurse at anytime for pain management. Teacher/Student/Nurse

Attendance will be notified that Cheyenne will be exempt from school truancy procedures initiated by excessive absences due to medical condition. Attendance/Administration/Counselor

Teachers will provide absent work for student (ahead of time when available). Teachers may give work directly to Cheyenne in class before her surgery, leave at front desk for parent pick-up, or send via e-mail to her mother. Teacher/Student
              In the even that student is not able to take tests/assessments while out on medical leave, she will be able to make up assessments upon her return without being penalized. When appropriate and available, teacher may give alternative assessment and/or administer tests via e-mail. Teacher/Student

No penalty on late work for Fall 2010 semester. Teacher/Student

E-mail is the preferred method of communication for all parties for distribution and collection of work, explanation of material missed, and Q & A between student and teacher. All e-mail addresses identified below: Teacher/Student/Parent/Counselor

Describe location of services, if other than the classroom setting and the reason(s) necessary: BLANK

Other relevant information: BLANK

Parents of a child with a 504 Accommodation Plan have protection under the procedural safeguards.Parents Rights and Safeguards given to parent/guardian. _______ (Parent/guardian initials)

My signature indicates that I have been informed and received notice of this Accommodation Plan and further acknowledge I am familiar with my responsibilities pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

TEAM OF EVALUATORS:.......Signature..................Title/e-mail:
              My Name.................._____________________.....Pa rent
              Asst Principal's Name _____________________.....Asst Principal
              School Psychologist Name _________________.....School Psychologist
              Student's Counselor Name _________________.....Student's Counselor
              504 Coordinator Name _____________________.....504 Coordinator
              Psy/Soc Teacher Name ____________________......Psy/Soc Teacher
              French III Teacher Name __________________......French III Teacher
              World History Teacher Name ________________.....World History Teacher
              English II Teacher Name __________________.....English II Teacher
              PAGE 2

PARENT’S RIGHTS AND SAFEGUARDS UNDER SECTION 504

As a parent, you have the right to:

1. Have your child take part in and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.

2. Have the District advise you as to your rights under federal law.

3. Receive notice with respect to identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.

4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to have the District make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.

5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided students without disabilities.

6. Have eligibility and educational placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by individuals who know the student, the evaluation data, and placement options.

7. Have transportation provided to a school placement setting at no greater cost to you than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the District.

8. Give your child an equal opportunity to participate in nonacademic and extracurricular activities offered by the District through the provision of reasonable accommodations.

9. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement.

10. Obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.

11. Receive a response from the District to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's records.

12. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the District refuses this request, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of the right to a hearing.

13. Request an impartial due process hearing related to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, and educational placement. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you at your own cost.

14. File a complaint with the District when you believe your child’s rights have been violated. A complaint may be filed by completing the Section 504 Complaint Form and submitting it to your school principal or to: District 504 Compliance Officer, SCHOOL DISTRICT NAME, ADDRESS.

15. The Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education also enforces the requirements of Section 504. The address of the regional office that includes Arizona is: Office for Civil Rights, 1244 Speer Blvd. Suite 300, Denver, CO 80204-3582.
              The formatting is obviously off due to this being a website. I hope this helps someone else out in the future. Granted, not all school districts are going to use this same form, but it's a good place to start at least.

Comment

Stressed Out!!

We're definitely stressed. Hubby has been tossing his cookies and not sleeping very well. I'm ok. Just a little nervous about the plane ride. I haven't flown since pre-911 so I'm not really sure of what to expect during check-in. Cheyenne is actually excited about the whole thing. This will be her very first plane ride.

To add to our stress levels:

We had to change house sitters at the last minute.

Today was to be Cheyenne's last day of school prior to leaving for surgery. She was going to meet with all of her teachers to pick up books and assignments for the next few weeks. Well, at 9 a.m. I get a text from her stating the fire alarm was going off at her school and that they were evacuating. The teachers said it wasn't a drill. Then they moved the kids across the street to a church, but they left them outside (it's 108 here today!). The police cars kept coming, and from more than just our city. Then the fire dept (also from more than just our city). Then the SWAT team!

Turns out some idiot called in a bomb threat. The school handled the whole thing really poorly. They weren't letting any of the kids go home.....no matter what! They had no shelter from the high heat nor any water for them either.

I called my hubby and let him know what was going on and of course, having the past couple of nights he's had, he decided to head towards home so we could pick Cheyenne up.

Chey had told us where the school was asking parents to drop off water for the kids and we met her there with a case of water for any kids that needed it.

We spoke with her Psychology teacher about why she couldn't stay out in the sun, in the heat, due to her upcoming surgery and were able to get them to finally release her to us. The last thing we needed was a sunburned, dehydrated kid going into spinal surgery!

She's heading back to the school with her sister now to try to get her binder she left in the classroom when they were told to evacuate, meet with her 2 other teachers she didn't get to see this morning, and get her books from the bookstore.

Hopefully this will be the last of the drama for a while!

Comment

I suggest slip on shoes, it's such a hassle to untie and tie your shoes. Don't pack any liquids in your purse or carry on (hand sanitizer is something I always forget). I brought anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down our trays and armrest, you don't want anyone to get sick before surgery.

Good luck, wishing Cheyenne a very uneventful surgery and recovery.

Comment

Sherie: Thank you for your reply. I didn't even think to get hand sanitizer for the plane! I'll pick up some wipes today while we're out doing our last minute running around.

Cheyenne has to go to school this morning to finish taking the test they were in the middle of when the school was evacuated. She was able to retrieve her binder and books late yesterday. I'm trying to get her to use today and tomorrow to complete as much homework as humanly possible so we'll have something to provide her teachers with.

I'm hopeful she'll bounce back fairly quick after the surgery. It's the first three days that seem like they're the worst from reading other people's posts.

I called RMDH yesterday morning to confirm they had received the referral from Shriners. They had. Since they won't confirm your reservation until the day prior to your arrival, I asked if it looked promising for us to obtain a room there. They said "Yes".

This is GREAT news as it's going to save a lot of money for us. Plus, they're within walking distance of the hospital.

I still have to call in a few minutes to cement the reservation but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Comment

Please pass on to Cheyenne thoughts from us for a successful surgery! For you and your husband my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this most difficult part. Soon you all will be on the healing side

Oh and safe travels too.

Dee
                      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

We're here safe in SLC. The plane ride was uneventful. In fact, our flight was actually a lot shorter than what we originally thought.

SLC is a beautiful city. So much prettier than metro PHX.

I love Queen Anne Victorians and we must have passed at least a dozen on our shuttle ride to the hospital.

The hospital is beautiful although it's round scheme gets me all turned around. The front door is a HUGE revolving type door. I'll have to get some photos of it for anyone to appreciate just how very neat this thing is.

Cheyenne's room is very nice and we have a great view of downtown SLC.

Two nurses came in and gave us the rundown of what to expect for the next 10 days. Chey is scheduled for surgery at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning.

The only thing they're concerned about is she's a little dehydrated. They were having trouble drawing blood because of it.

On the very good news front, they no longer insert drainage tubes in the incision! Our nurse said they quit doing this a couple of months ago. For what reason she was unsure.

They did go over how constipation is an issue for nearly every fusion patient and their plans to help combat it.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to wireless internet here so Chey can't use her netbook. I'm using a very slooooowww computer in the parent's lounge at the moment.

I'll post more tomorrow after the surgery.

Comment

Good luck to your daughter and you, Gryffindor. I wish you smooth sailing and a quick recovery.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Didn't have a chance to post on all the excitement at Cheyenne's school on Friday. Wow. Again, though, a "nice" distraction (ha)

Anyway, woke up this morning thinking about all of you. Today will probably go very slowly, as you wait and wait. But soon Cheyenne will be through this and on to the healing phase.

I agree that SLC is a beautiful city. Have not spent much time at all there, but have flown through several times. Lots of nice people there, too, and that is what you need during the long stay in the hospital.

Good luck! Post an update when you can!

Best -
                            Last edited by Fingers Crossed; 08-24-2010, 08:19 AM. Reason: correct typo
                            Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

I hope everything went well today
                              Kelly
                              mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
                              Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
                              Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
                              Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
                              Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
                              scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
                              Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Hi Gryffindor,
                                I kept thinking of you and your daughter all day today. I kept hoping and praying that all was going well during the surgery. Good luck with the recovery. I know it will be a long couple of months for you. Wishing you the best!
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X