No announcement yet.

What to expect while at hospital for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gryffindor, we didn't have to make arrangement for accommodations because both our apartment and the hospital, NY Presbyterian, are in NYC, but we were able to stay in our son's room with him the whole time he was in the hospital. Would you be able to do that at Shriner's? It would at least save you the hotel expense. (If there's only room for one parent, your husband might volunteer to stay behind ) Also, Presbyterian has a program where they find local host families for parents who are traveling from out of town. Shriner's might have something like that, too.

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope they're resolved soon.

Comment

The hospital does have rooms.....for 1 parent on a first come, first served basis. For the first 3 days they will not allow us to stay in our daughter's room. After that a parent is expected to. Our daughter is insisting that we both be there.

Shriners purchased mine and our daughter's plane ticket. We had to purchase my husband's ticket with our own funds.

Somehow we'll make this work.

And to make matters worse, one of the plumbers called in sick on Friday so they rescheduled for Monday morning. In the mean time my water is still leaking in the front yard. Ugh.
      Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

Hi Gryffindor:

Now that it is almost August, I bet that surgery date is really looming large for your family! I think about this all the time, because our daughter's original surgery date was Aug. 20, but the surgeon had an opening earlier.

I hope you were able to figure out these financial issues. All of this is just so stressful, so its particularly unfair to have to worry about THAT, too.

Our daughter had her six-week checkup yesterday and the doctor cleared her to run, so she is happy. She can't lift more than 15 pounds, so he suggested an extra set of textbooks so she can have a set at home (just FYI, something to think about for when Cheyenne goes back to school).

It has been a long summer in some ways, and an incredible blur in others. But I am happy to report that Jenna has truly turned a corner in the past week or so. She went out and ran this morning. And her back looks great. I am so hopeful, and pretty optimistic, that we have saved her years and years of pain and grief by doing this now.

Hang in there!
        Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Fingers Crossed:

Thank you for the words of encouragement! We're in the home-stretch right now just counting down the days till we leave for SLC.

I was able to get us back our medical coverage as of just yesterday!

I've scheduled an appointment with my daughter's pediatrician to get her last set of shots and do a basic pre-surgery check-up.

We're still trying to save up for the trip. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I feel A LOT better knowing we now have medical insurance should anything go wrong after we get home.

I also want to see if I can set up the 6 wk check up to be done locally with help from her pediatrician. Shriners wants us to fly up to SLC just for the day to do the check-up. I'd rather not go through airport security twice and be on a plane for 4 hours in one day. If we can work it out where she can have her x-rays done locally and sent to SLC and have her pediatrician check on her incision, I'd be MUCH happier!

I was really glad to read how quickly your daughter is healing! I hope my daughter does as well.

Our school year starts in about a week. I contacted the local Center for Disability law and told them the horror story of what our daughter's school put us through last year. They started me down the correct path to make sure that doesn't happen again. I've sent in a request for my daughter to be evaluated through the school district (I was told by the center NEVER to go directly through the school) in regards to her missing a lot of school this coming semester due to the surgery and recovery period. They have 45 days in which to respond. So far I haven't heard anything back.

I've also sent an email and received a reply from the new school principal. She's going to set up a meeting between our family and my daughter's new guidance counselor. In reality, I'd like to have a meeting with: All of her teachers, the principal, VP in charge of attendance, attendance clerk, school nurse, truancy officers, etc. I DO NOT want a repeat of what happened last year!

We're in a bit of a predicament with it being a new school year and the whole school clothes thing. DD want's new clothes NOW. I've tried to explain to her that she's likely going to gain some height and that she's going to want clothes that aren't going to rub against her incision site. I've asked her to wait until at least a couple of weeks after the surgery before we buy anything. We came up with a compromise and she's going to get a couple of pairs of pants and shirts just for the first two weeks of school. After the surgery, and when she feels up to it, we'll go clothes shopping.

Comment

Well things are starting to finally get done. I've got a lot going on just for this week:

Wednesday: Appointment with my daughter's primary care physician to get her last set of booster shots and a check-up to make sure she's ready for surgery at the end of the month.

Next Weds: Meeting with my daughter's teachers, guidance counselor, school psychologist (she's in charge of 504's). We're going to go over getting her assignments early so she can complete them prior to leaving for surgery. From there we'll be getting her assignments for each week from the school and then turning them back in. They still will not assist us with homebound instruction. The only class I'm concerned about is her math class. DH & I can help her with English, Science and History but her math level is way beyond what either of us can help with.

The school's psychologist will be drafting up our 504 plan. This is what I've been wanting all along so that we can make sure there will be no problems with attendance and to make arrangements so she can have a 2nd set of textbooks, exemption from PE, release from her classes 5 min early and if she is having a bad pain day, to be released from class immediately to the school nurse who is to call us to pick her up. I will NOT leave any of her meds at the school.

Shriner's emailed me yesterday that they were finally able to get her Dr. to complete the school district's form in regards to children with chronic health conditions. We should get it before school starts next week.

Our daughter was able to get some school shopping done. Instead of buying pants she bought shorts. It's hot here and with shorts, if she gains any height after the surgery it won't matter nearly as much as it would with pants. We still need to purchase a set of slippers for use while in the hospital but other than that, I think we're pretty much ready.

Comment

We met with our daughter's pediatrician today. He's such a great guy.

She received the final two shots she needed and he checked her over to make sure she was good for the surgery.

Only concern I have is that she's lost weight. When he originally saw her back in Nov 09 she weighed 90 lbs. She's down to 82.

I've read a couple of stories about SMA's and how they generally happen to thin girls and now I'm concerned.

She's eating just as much as she always has and her activity level has actually decreased so I have no idea why she's losing weight. Her Dr. wasn't sure either other than to say that her pain could be causing her body chemistry to speed up a bit.

Next big hurdle is the meeting with the school next week. I've got to start putting together a bullet point list of items to go over so nothing gets missed. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should have included in the 504 please let me know. So far I've asked them for:

1. 2nd set of textbooks. One set to be kept in each classroom. One set to be kept at home.

2. Exemption from PE for the remainder of her HS years. (Will be following this one up with a Dr. note). I don't want to take any chances on having a failed fusion and the school's PE class does include contact sports.

3. Request that she be allowed to leave each class 5 min early so she's not getting knocked around in the crowded hallways.

4. Setting up the "Homework Request Program". This is the one that I really need to nail down. She's going to be out of school for approx 2 months. Since they won't provide her with homebound instruction, we're working it out where her teachers will provide her with her assignments, we pick them up weekly at the school and turn in the completed assignments. I want to try to get as many of the teachers to do this via email instead of driving back and forth.

Anything I'm missing?

Edit: I forgot to ask another question of everyone. Has anyone's child experienced problems with loud hiccuping, but it's only one hiccup and it happens several times a day (she sounds like a Pterodactyl). Her Dr. had no answer for us on this one either except to say that perhaps the nerve that triggers hiccups is being triggered by her scoliosis.
              Last edited by Gryffindor; 08-04-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you are really getting everything in place. Reading about all you are doing just for the missing-school-issue makes me doubly (maybe even quadruply!) glad that Jenna ended up getting an earlier surgery date and will not miss school. (But I'm sorry you are having to go through all that planning, too.)

I know it is hard not to worry, but from what I understand, SMAs are very rare.

Our only issue post-op is the weight issue. Jenna started out very thin and has lost 8-10 pounds (narcotics just killed her appetite, I think). At her six-week checkup her doctor urged her to get a handle on this because sometimes being too lean can impede healing. I will let you know if we can come up with something that works.

Otherwise, she is doing really great. She does get fatigued by the end of most days (and it has been brutally hot where we live, so that doesn't help), but she is sleeping well and just needs a little Tylenol once in awhile.

Hang in there!
                Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Here's what I came up with for our meeting with the school next week. If anyone can think of anything that I need to add or omit, please let me know.
                  This document should help when we go to draw up the 504.

MEETING IN REGARDS TO SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A CHRONIC MEDICAL CONDITION AND THE HOMEWORK REQUEST PROGRAM – 8/11/10

Attendees: XXXXXXXX – School Psychologist
                  XXXXXXXX – Guidance Counselor
                  XXXXXXXX - World History
                  XXXXXXXX - Biology
                  XXXXXXXX - Algebra II
                  XXXXXXXX - English II
                  XXXXXXXX – Mother
                  XXXXXXXX – Student

Student: XXXXXXXXXXX, Grade 10.
                  Medical Diagnosis: Severe scoliosis requiring corrective surgery.
                  Treatment: Surgery - Rod Insertion/Spinal Fusion from T 3-4 to L 3-4.
                  Surgery Date: XX/XX/XXXX – Shriners Hospital for Children, Salt Lake City, UT
                  Expected Absence Timeframe: XX/XX/XX to XX/XX/XX. Timeframe is subject to change.
                  Anticipated Full Recovery Timeframe: One year, barring any complications.

Requests In Regards To Special Accommodations:

1. Two sets of textbooks:

a) One set of textbook(s) for each class to be kept in each classroom in the possession of the teacher administering the class. The textbook(s) shall be made available to XXXXXXXX at the start of each class period.

b) One set of textbook(s) for each class to be kept at XXXXXXXX's residence.

2. Additional time to safely move from classroom to classroom:

a) XXXXXXXX is to be released five (5) minutes prior to the end of each class to allow her to safely move from classroom to classroom to avoid any possible injury.

b) Teachers will need to provide XXXXXXXX with a hall pass daily AND/OR school administrators will need to notify security personnel of this provision to avoid any possible misunderstandings with school personnel.

3. A permanent exemption from any and all Physical Education classes.

a) A medical note from her surgeon will be provided.

4. Pain Management:

a) The school nurse will be notified by XXXXXXXX and/or XXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXX's medical condition.

b) Should XXXXXXXX wish to go to the school nurse in regards to any pain she may be experiencing, we ask that her teachers immediately grant her a pass to go to the nurse.

c) As it is unlikely the school nurse will be able to alleviate XXXXXXXX’s pain, we are asking that she be allowed to call a parent or any person listed on her emergency contact list to pick her up from school and bring her home so she may take her prescribed pain medication. Due to the strength of the pain medication, we feel it is safer for this medication to be administered at home.

5. Attendance:

a) The Attendance Clerk shall be notified of the upcoming prolonged, medically excused absence, by XXXXXXXX and/or XXXXXXXX to avoid any miscommunications that may result in the threat of legal action against the XXXXXXXX family.

Requests in Regards to Education:

1. Homework Request Program.

The Homework Request Program, as explained to me by former guidance counselor, Mr. XXXXXXXX, is a program that will allow XXXXXXXX, while absent from school, to request her assignments for each class and for each teacher to provide the assignments to the front desk to be picked up each week. Completed assignments would also be returned in the same manner.

2. Proposed Amendments To the Homework Request Program.

Assignments:

a) Obtain a list of all assignments due through xx/xx/xx from each teacher no later than xx/xx/xx. This list should include due dates for all assignments.

b) Obtain any/all teacher generated handouts that will be distributed through xx/xx/xx. It would be preferable to receive these handouts no later than xx/xx/xx. For handouts that are unavailable by xx/xx/xx, teachers are to email (if possible) the handout or provide the handout to the front desk of the school and notify XXXXXXXX’s parents the handouts are at the front desk ready to be picked up.

c) XXXXXXXX will be unable to complete any assignments from XX/XX/XX through XX/XX/XX (the length of her hospital stay), and for up to 2 weeks after being released from the hospital due to the medications she will be taking for pain. Teachers will need to understand that no assignments will be turned in during this time period.

d) We are requesting to receive assignments for the time period of XX/XX/XX through XX/XX/XX (the surgery, hospitalization and initial recovery period) as soon as possible so XXXXXXXX won’t have to worry about falling behind for the weeks she will be unable to complete assignments.

e) Teachers will agree to accept assignments prior to their due date.

Methods of Obtaining and Submitting Completed Assignments:

a) The following methods, listed in order of preference, are agreed to be used for obtaining and submitting completed assignments:

1. Email. (See paragraph b. below).
                  2. XXXXXXXX HS front desk. Assignments will be provided by each teacher to the front desk for pick up each Friday afternoon for XXXXXXXX’s parent’s to pick up. Completed assignments will be provided to the front desk, labeled with the teacher’s name that provided the assignment, for each teacher to pick up.
                  3. US mail.

b) Need for teacher’s valid email addresses: To avoid constant trips to the school, we would prefer to have XXXXXXXX complete her assignments, scan them to our computer, and submit them to her teachers, via email, as a .pdf file.

Each teacher agrees to check their email on a regular basis for assignments that will be turned in as they are completed. If this is unacceptable or impractical, any teacher who is unable to receive completed assignments in this manner needs to inform XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX’s mother, of their preferred method for receiving completed assignments as soon as possible. Please be advised that we do not have access to a fax machine. All assignments will be kept confidential by XXXXXXXX and will not be provided to any other student.

Preferred Method of Providing Assignments to Student: (email, front desk, US mail)

XXXXXXXX - World History __________________

XXXXXXXX – Biology __________________

XXXXXXX - Algebra II __________________

XXXXXXXX - English II _____________

Preferred Method of Receiving Completed Assignments: (email, front desk, US mail)

Methods of Obtaining and Completing Tests:

a) Tests: An acceptable solution, beneficial to all parties involved, will need to be created. Teachers have the following options: 1. Teachers may come to our residence to administer tests. 2. Teachers may provide tests through the front desk of the school for XXXXXXX’s parents to pick up after being notified by the teacher that the test is ready to be picked up. 3. Teachers may email the tests to the email address provided in the previous section. 4. Teachers may mail the tests to our home address. XXXXXXX will not be able to come to school to take any tests due to the risk of infection. XXXXXXX will keep all testing information confidential and will not provide this information to any other student.

Preferred Method of Administering and Receiving Tests: (residence, front desk, email, mail)

Additional Assistance in Regards to Completing Assignments:

a) Should XXXXXXX run into any problems completing an assignment or have any questions, we are requesting that each teacher provide their preferred method of contact so that she may obtain assistance when necessary.

Preferred method of contact: (email, telephone)

Contact Information for XXXXXXX XXXXXX and her Parents, XXXXXX & XXXXXX XXXXXX:

Our email address is: XXXXX@XXXXX.NET.

Phone Numbers: XXXXXXX Cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX
                  XXXXXXX Cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Home Address: My Address
                  City State Zip

Contact Information for all Teachers:

Teacher email address:

Teacher contact phone number(s):

Attachment: Medical Certification of a Chronic Health Condition

Comment

Looks like you covered all the bases, this is exactly what I had in place for my daughter. It worked out very well. In addition, the 504 allowed her to bring a "helper" with her between classes, it wasn't usually necessary but her friends loved that privilege. She left her last class 10 min. early because her school was very crowded. She also had elevator privileges but used the stairs for the most part unless she got caught up in a crowd. She was really afraid of getting hit or pushed in the back that first year (understandably).

There was a tutor assigned to us to come during the week to administer tests and to help with assignments. Most of the time, we emailed assignments back to each teacher except for art projects. She was taking 3 AP classes that year and did just fine.

We scheduled her surgery over the Thanksgiving break therefore she had that week plus the Christmas break so had a total of 7 weeks before she returned. She needed every bit of that time. Some kids recover quicker but you never know.

Good luck.

Comment

Sherie: Thank you for going over the doc for me. The first part was easy. I then ended up with a serious case of writers block for the second part in regards to assignments. The darned thing took me a couple of hours to get to where it is now. lol.

I WISH the school would provide a tutor. So does her surgeon. He's repeatedly asked for homebound instruction and they keep denying us.

None of my daughter's friends will be able to help as my daughter is about one year ahead of all of them (she's fast tracking herself so she can graduate early). So, most of the people in the classes she's taking will be Juniors while she is only a Sophomore.

I think she'll be OK though. Even with all of the missed school days last year she was still able to pull off a 3.72 GPA. If her English teacher hadn't been such a ditz she would have gotten a 4.00.

But, this will be a different scenario considering the surgery, medication and healing that needs to take place. We're hoping to get as many assignments as possible completed prior to leaving for surgery. She's going to be one very busy homework bee.

Her school is all one level so at least we don't have to worry about stairs. I don't think any of her classes are really far apart so the 5 min should work out fine. It will also give the next teacher enough time to provide her with her textbooks. The one thing that I am worried about.......substitutes. The teachers never seem to leave notes for them.

Comment

This perplexes me

Sorry, I really don't know much about 504 plans . . . but doesn't the school HAVE to provide homebound teaching when a student is physically unable to be at school (such as after surgery)? This is a public school, correct? In our school district, if a child is expected to miss four or more weeks of school, the school is obligated to figure out homebound teaching.

I'm sure you've thought about this, but I wanted to say that I don't think there is any way my daughter could have done homebound schoolwork for almost three weeks after surgery. She was taking oxycontin, oxycodone and valium-as-needed-for-spasms. She spents lots of time propped on pillows watching movies, and we were all at her bidding. She found it hard to even read, and she loves to read, normally.

Since Cheyenne is such a good student, she will just sail through the schoolwork I am sure!

Comment

The tutor was nice to have but to be honest, she wasn't very helpful as far as knowing the actual work. I actually helped her more because the tutor was only there a few hours anyways. I think it's odd that your school district isn't required to provide some kind of tutor, most everyone I've talked to has had one.

Most of her teachers would send the homework for the entire week and she would have all week before she needed to turn it in. They were very considerate and I think, a little lenient given the situation.

Sheena wasn't ready to tackle any homework until the 3rd week home because of the medications and she just wasn't up to it. She took herself off the prescription meds at that time and switched to tylenol because she was very emotional on them and didn't like that. Of course, tylenol doesn't do as good a job but I would give her a valium or painkiller if she really needed it.

Sheena also missed a lot of school because of many various appointments, before and after surgery. Your daughter sounds very motivated, she's going to do fine with school, don't worry too much about it. You're doing a good job getting everything lined out, it will all work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers Crossed View Post
                            Sorry, I really don't know much about 504 plans . . . but doesn't the school HAVE to provide homebound teaching when a student is physically unable to be at school (such as after surgery)? This is a public school, correct? In our school district, if a child is expected to miss four or more weeks of school, the school is obligated to figure out homebound teaching.

I'm sure you've thought about this, but I wanted to say that I don't think there is any way my daughter could have done homebound schoolwork for almost three weeks after surgery. She was taking oxycontin, oxycodone and valium-as-needed-for-spasms. She spents lots of time propped on pillows watching movies, and we were all at her bidding. She found it hard to even read, and she loves to read, normally.

Since Cheyenne is such a good student, she will just sail through the schoolwork I am sure!
                            We posted at the same time and said almost the same thing (great minds...)Sheena was also on those meds and couldn't read until she was off them too.

Comment

Here's the school District's policy in regards to Homebound Instruction. Nowhere does it state that they will provide a tutor. It also contradicts itself on the number of days missed before the Homebound Instruction kicks in:

PUSD Governing Board Policy Manual:
                              5.3.2.2 STUDENTS WITH CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS

The Board recognizes that students with chronic health conditions have a right to receive a public education. The Board also recognizes that it has a responsibility to assure that the public school provides a safe environment for all students and employees. The Board directs that each chronically ill student receive a public education in accordance with current law. It is expected that students shall continue to attend school as prescribed by law unless their health condition poses a threat of contagion to others, or is so debilitating as to be a threat to their personal well being, as confirmed by medical certification as described herein. Students who are absent due to chronic health conditions shall be provided with homework assignments during the absences. Physical education requirements also shall be modified as deemed appropriate. No student certified as having a chronic health condition will be penalized for absences due solely to the chronic health condition. Credit will be given for completed course requirements.
                              A. Definitions

1. Students with chronic health conditions are those who have obtained written medical certification from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) which indicates:

a. a diagnosis that the student has an illness or disease, or has had an accident, which interferes with regular school attendance, and
                              b. the student's present health condition and course of the condition, and
                              c. an estimate of the impact of the condition on regular school attendance.

2. Homework assignments are those assignments that can be completed at home such as programmed learning packets or independent study modules.

B. Identification/Referral Process

1. Registration or other relevant data, including but not limited to data used to screen students for possible referral to special education programs, shall be reviewed to attempt to identify students who may have chronic health conditions.

2. The District will provide to parents information which contains an explanation of services available to students with chronic health conditions. (Note: They NEVER did this last year).

3. Students may be identified or referred by teachers, nurses, or school administrators at any time during the school year. Parents/legal guardians may request referral of a student. All referrals by school staff shall be routed to the principal or designee who will contact the parent/legal guardian as indicated in Item 4 below. Note: They never did this either.

4. If a student is identified as possibly being one with a chronic health condition, a medical certification form with a letter of explanation shall be sent to the parents, to be returned to the designated school official. It shall be the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to provide written medical certification, as defined above, to the school within 7 school days after receipt of the referral. Failure to provide such Certification may result in suspension by the principal or assistant principal until required documentation is provided. If the medical certification reveals that the student is one with a chronic health condition, the student's elementary teacher or high school counselor shall contact the student's parent to determine appropriate methods for delivery and return of homework assignments, and convenient times for telephone or other consultation with teacher to clarify assignments if necessary. In each case, all teachers participating in the instructional program of the student shall be advised by the principal of the student's condition. All concerned shall be charged with maintaining appropriate confidentiality to protect the student. They didn't do this either!! And this is what caused all of the problems last year. They never provided us with THEIR form until AFTER a Truancy Officer pulled Cheyenne and a few other students into a room together and gave them a severe tongue lashing about missing school. My daughter said that the majority of the kids in this meeting all had chronic health conditions. What really infuriated me was the fact that they never contacted myself nor my husband to let us know that this meeting was going to occur! And, all of the kids who had chronic health conditions had to let this Truancy Officer know, in front of all of the other kids, what their medical condition was! As you can probably tell, I'm still very angry about this!

5. The school nurse shall be consulted upon identification of a student as one with a chronic health condition. The nurse shall assist teacher(s) in planning for students with chronic health conditions, especially in situations where it is necessary to modify physical education requirements.
                              WE notified the school nurse of our daughter's condition, nobody else thought to.

6. An updated medical certification shall be obtained at least once each school year to verify that the student continues to have a chronic health condition. An updated medical certification may be submitted at any time if deemed necessary to reevaluate the student's need for services.

7. If the student is identified and served as a student with chronic health conditions and absences are projected to total three school months or more during a school year, the student shall be referred for Special Education Homebound services. Note: Then it goes on to contradict itself in the paragraph below.

8. Homebound services may be provided by the district as determined by site administration. All students who have a verified absence projected to be 30 school days or greater will be provided Homebound services. Homebound services will be provided at four instructional hours per week.

C. Provision of Homework and Modified Physical Education

1. The amount, nature and timelines for homework assignments shall be determined by the student's teacher according to the following considerations:
                              a. the nature of the health condition as it relates to the student's anticipated activity level during absences;
                              b. the coursework difficulty and student's ability to learn independently;
                              c. the goal of maintaining integration of the student in the regular education program as much as reasonably possible.

2. Teacher shall maintain records to verify that homework assignments have been provided and that the completed homework assignments have been returned.

3. Regular classroom assignments shall be modified to the extent reasonably possible so that full credit may be attained for homework. In cases where class participation or laboratory work is a necessity for completing coursework requirements (i.e., lab sciences, computer labs, or foreign language labs) and revision of the exercise into a homework format is not practical, and where the student will be absent for such a number of labs or classes that full credit for the course would not be possible, the following options are available:
                              a. a school counselor shall determine whether the student can enroll in classes where special make-up labs and/or activities involving equal credit are available.
                              b. the student may enroll in a correspondence course and/or e-school approved by the District where equivalent course credit is available and where course criteria and instruction are based on student's ability to independently complete the course;
                              c. the parent/legal guardian and counselor may meet to determine whether the student should enroll in the class during a subsequent semester when fewer absences are anticipated; or

d. teachers, district staff or volunteers may be enlisted, as available, to help with special needs such as make-up of a lab assignment.

4. Students with chronic health conditions should participate in regular physical education activities as much as their health permits. Modification of regular physical education requirements shall be made when appropriate with parent/legal guardian and physician approval.

5. Administrators and counselors preparing schedules for students with chronic health conditions should take into consideration the anticipated days of absence (noted on the Medical Certification form) and the feasibility of completing courses requiring laboratory work or vocational workshops. In no case shall a student be denied placement in a class needed to meet graduation or college entrance requirements. Reasonable efforts should be made to adjust the curriculum to meet the student's needs.

6. In-service training shall be provided to help employees and parents understand the problems of the chronically ill student. To the extent necessary and reasonable, substitutes and volunteers shall be made aware of the condition of chronically ill students with whom they are expected to come in contact.

D. Reporting Requirement

Attendance personnel at each school must notify the District Office when the school serves a student with a chronic health condition so that requests for further adjustments may be made to the adjusted average daily membership ("ADM"). Registration forms, enrollment data, and attendance registers shall indicate students with chronic health conditions in order to document ADM adjustments to the Arizona State Department of Education, School Finance Section.

Comment

Is fusion for scoliosis considered a chronic condition?

Will the surgeon be able to say she is on physical restrictions for three more years in order to get the permanent excuse from PE? I have never heard of a kid on restrictions for more than a year if the surgery went as planned.

My one daughter would love to get a permanent excuse from having to take PE which she was dropped from when I informed the school of her upcoming surgery. She would much rather squeeze in another academic class but she was released for all PE activities at 8 months.

If surgeons are restricting kids for 3 years with this surgery then that's news to me.
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X