What to expect while at hospital for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again everyone.

The night before last was another rough one. We ended up with a nurse who needed a bit more training on bedside manners. I was so tired that I didn't wake up when Chey called me so she called in the nurse. What DID wake me up was her screaming because they were handling her very roughly (like they were in a hurry). This was at 2 a.m. Then the nurse decided that it was time for her to remove her pulse ox and her IV saline drip. I refused to let her do either as Chey was still setting off the alarm for her oxygen level dropping below 90. I also refused to let them remove the IV since she hadn't really been drinking anything and she was fighting a very bad bladder infection. The more fluids in her bladder, the better. I had requested earlier in the day that Chey be taken off the Oxycontin and the Oxycodone. Which her day nurse did. That left her with Tylenol, Motrin, antibiotics, senna for help with her bowel movements, Valium and something to calm her tummy. The night nurse disregarded the Oxycontin request was disregarded by the nurse!

Yesterday morning I asked that we never have that nurse as a caregiver again.

Yesterday morning we had made a pact that as a family we would go down to the cafeteria and eat together. We put Chey in a wheelchair and started down to the cafeteria. Once in the cafeteria she started to feel really nauseated so I quickly started wheeling her back up to her room. Before the elevator arrived on the 1st floor she threw up all over herself. Not only was she feeling bad but also embarrassed. I truly believe it was the Oxycontin that made her throw up. When she's off of it she's nearly her normal self and her nausea is gone.

The day shift nurses came in and drew some blood to do some more testing. It turned out that her blood level was still lower than normal so they asked if they could give her a transfusion. Funny, because the day of the surgery they had told me she was low and could need one. I told them to do it right away but they said no because they didn't like the risk of her having a reaction. (They didn't listen to me about the bladder infection either and finally tested her urine after hubby saw blood in her catheter line and completely flipped out on them). So, that's now makes twice that my mother's intuition knew what was wrong and I wasn't listened to.

She was in bed while being infused. She also started complaining of very sharp pains in her abdomen. The nurse practitioner and pediatrician were very concerned and ordered an abdominal xray. The result was......gas. She had several areas in her intestines that clearly showed big pockets of air/gas.

Immediately after receiving the diagnosis her physical therapist came into the room and had her up and doing laps around the ward. She seemed to be feeling a bit better but was still having some problems with nausea.

Last night before going to bed, her pediatrician came into the room to check on her. She was very upset that Chey was laying down. She wants her sitting in a chair or up and walking whenever she's awake. I wholeheartedly agreed.

We had a very good night last night. She's having no problems with urinating or bowel movements now. Her time of the month started a couple of days ago so she's having to deal with the normal things that go along with that. All of the stress caused my period to start 2 weeks early! Thank goodness I brought a lot of pads with us!

The plan for today is to try the cafeteria again this morning. Then, it's walking A LOT and sitting. I'll let her take a nap in the afternoon but then she needs to be back up.

We were supposed to be on a plane home today. That's obviously postponed now. We're now leaving VERY early on Friday morning. Our local shrine was very kind and paid for the cost of changing all 3 of our airline tickets. It was right around $300 (total) to change dates (because it's the Friday before Labor Day).

The Shriners had a classic/hot rod car show here last night. I wish I could have spent some time downstairs but neither hubby nor Chey were up for it. I was able to get some really good pics though.
    Mother to 14 yo Cheyenne. Surgery 8/23/10 Shriners, SLC.

Comment

Here's an after surgery xray, a pic of the hospital, her back bandaged after surgery (note her shoulders and hips are now level) and the "torture bed" they have parents sleep on.

Comment

Wow very sorry that it is still rough sledding for you and Chey. Just ain't fair.

I obviously have no idea what is going on but I have the following thoughts which may or may not be at all relevant:

1. My two kids had comparatively different experiences, one harder than the other, for some reason. That reason might be a reaction to the drugs. They were on the same meds less total types of meds than Chey but one still lagged the other in terms of recovery. In terms of narcotics, they were both off morphine on Day 3 though they were switched to another narcotic (percoset) in pill form. That leads me to suggest that some med or combination of meds is slowing Chey's progress. Not sure what the answer is though.

2. Both kids ate practically nothing in the hospital and neither kid was nauseous as I recall though I might not be remembering. I never pushed food on them in the hospital or at home. They were thirsty and drank though. Based on this, if she isn't hungry she probably shouldn't eat unless it quells the nausea. The nausea might also be from low blood pressure. At least I sometimes get queasy from that.

3. I strongly agree that she should be sitting or walking and mainly using the bed for napping and sleeping. Moving around, sitting, walking, etc. made my kids feel better and I think this is a real key in the recovery.

Good luck.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Oh no! On top of everything, she DOES have a bladder infection. You know that has just got to be making her even more uncomfortable. What a bummer, I just sincerely hope she turns a corner soon.

Regarding the nausea . . . our daughter took a prescription antacid for several weeks, her doc just prescribed it as soon as she started taking oral meds, as part of the "cocktail." Is Chey taking anything like that? (And our daughter still asks for one once in awhile because, I think, the Tylenol bothers her stomach at times.)

On a more positive note: Wow! Awesome pics of her back. I know she was having a lot of pain prior to surgery and really hoping this will resolve that>

And, yes, that chair "bed" truly looks tortuous. My lower back is screaming just looking at that thing.
          Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Didn't mean to alarm everyone. Most of what I posted happened early yesterday. By last night, after the transfusion and the x-ray showing there's nothing wrong with her intestines, everthing has been MUCH better!

She went to the cafeteria with us and finally ate! She's still not much on the drinking. She normally loves Powerade and now is sick of it. It reminds her of taking pills, which she dislikes very much.

We're in the hospital's school room right now and she's using her netbook to catch up with her friends. She's laughing and smiling for the first time since prior to the surgery.

We've had her up and walking everywhere.

She's starting to take the initative to get herself up out of bed (whew!).

If things stay this way, and we have no more setbacks, we could go home tomorrow but I think it's best we stick with our current flight arrangements.

Comment

Excellent! It sounds like you have turned a corner!

Very happy for you and Chey!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Yay! So happy for all of you. You will all be so glad to get home!

I keep saying this but I truly believe it . . . most of these kids are resilient and heal exceptionally well.

Go Cheyenne!
                Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

We received the clearance to go home tomorrow morning! Yay!

All is still going very well.

Comment

Very good!

Onward and upward.

Eyes on the prize.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• We're finally home!

It took forever to get a wheelchair at the SLC airport.

Chey was having a very difficult time getting comfortable on the plane. I'm glad it wasn't a long flight.

When we returned home we found that the dogs repeatedly jumping on her bed caused it to break on the sideboard. Hubby is on his way to Home Depot right now to get the items needed to fix it so we can get her out of our room and into her own.

I'm exhausted and will post more tomorrow, including lots of photos.

Comment

• Congratulations!

Great work.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• I'm so glad you are all home!!! We saw great improvement at this point. I think just being home lifts the heart and healing just takes over. We will be 7 months out from surgery soon and to look at DD now it doesn't seem like anything happened - well except she is straight now.

We start all over again in Nov with my oldest - when the scared sets in I look at my youngest and say it will be ok.

I hope Chey continues to heal without issues, and that every day becomes more and more pain free.
                          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

• Hello, Its been few days how are things going? I hope better...
                            Kelly
                            mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
                            Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
                            Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
                            Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
                            Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
                            scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
                            Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

• Yes. Things are going very well so far. I'm still trying to catch back up timewise.

Chey only has one more antibiotic pill to go and then she's done with those.

She hasn't been taking anything for pain. I think it's more of a matter of not wanting to swallow pills than not being in pain.

Her digestive system finally returned to normal for the most part so she's off the Miralax too.

Tomorrow I'm putting her back on her schoolwork so she doesn't fall too far behind. I'm going to schedule an appt with her primary care physician in about 2 weeks to have him check on her and to help me determine when she's ready to return to school.

Comment

• As promised, I finally have photos to share:

The Hospital:
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...pitalphoto.jpg

Torture Bed!
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...TortureBed.jpg

Hubby with Monster's Inc...in a hall leading to PT/Parent Rooms/School. A local theater had donated these.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...nstersinc2.jpg

The view from Chey's hospital room.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...spitalroom.jpg

The coolest rotating door I've ever seen. These photos do not do it justice!
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...frontdoor3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...frontdoor2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...frontdoor1.jpg

Giant Chipmunks in the hospital lobby:
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ychipmunks.jpg

The hospital room's bathroom/shower.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...nRoom82810.jpg

A mountain directly behind the hospital. Considering you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner and the links to Masons and pyramids (the all seeing eye on the back of a dollar bill, etc), I found this to be rather ironic.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ndhospital.jpg

I admit I smoke (never in my house though). The only place smoking is allowed at the hospital is in what they call the "Butt Hutt". This little guy was in there with me one day. Kinda strange as all of the praying mantis' I've ever seen have always been green, yet this guy is brown.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ingMantis1.jpg

This is the Activity Room/Gym. They were having the wood floors refinished while we were there. It's huge and beautiful.
                                http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...tivityRoom.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X