PT, not surgery, is a better answer for non-scoliosis-related back pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT, not surgery, is a better answer for non-scoliosis-related back pain

This is off the subject of scoliosis but reinforces the idea that back surgery and especially fusion is NOT the answer for non-scoliosis-related back pain.

They do note, however, that surgery is the best solution for certain back pain cases including...

_Fusions are appropriate for far fewer patients, those with fractures, unstable or slipping spines, curvature of the spine and rare other reasons, Rosen said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/...ated_back_pain
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

pushing past the pain

There is some hopeful news — increasing evidence that more people should try pushing past the pain in aggressive exercise programs. Deyo calls them boot camps for back pain.

Hmmm.. sounds familiar. Been there done that, and I agree.
    ===================================

Herniated disks heal on their own over about two years, but surgery for a faster fix is reasonable in good candidates, he said.

I had 4 herniated discs, verified by ct. Does that mean my heal time would been 8 years, or did I have 4 times the pain? 2 years is a long time.

Severe sciatica is hard to "push past the pain" I couldn’t go to boot camp on that one....
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i got relief for worsening sciatica with epidural this month..it really surprised me that it worked, as i've had epidurals for other pain and they did nothing...i'll see how long this relief lasts...guess the doctor who said epidurals work best for nerve related pain was right..

jess

Comment

I've only scanned the article, but I suspect they didn't look at the long-term outcome of decompressions. A lot of decompressions go on to requiring fusion surgery. The trick, which seems to always be the case when one is talking about the spine, is to select a surgeon who knows in which cases decompressions work, and in which cases no surgery is required, and in which cases fusion is required. Unfortunately, in degenerative cases, there's often an instability that rears its ugly head after a decompression. Also, in degenerative cases, some patients auto-fuse over a period of time. That doesn't mean that everyone should wait a year or two to see if the problem goes away. During that time, radicular problems can become permanent.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

my sister in law has scoliosis and she is treating it with chiropractor care with good success, she is pain free.

I don't know how severe her scoliosis is..it may be mild or moderate, I can't visually see it...I just know that awhile back she was really hurting and after adjustments she is feeling better.

My dd doesn't have pain with her scoliosis, occasionally she gets aches from the brace...
          age 15
          Daughter diagnosed at age 13
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
          T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
          T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
          Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
          Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Working...