Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi...

I think(!) that I was trying to say that pediatric surgeons don't usually get to see the long-term results of their work, while adult surgeons see it all the time. The experience of treating patients who had fusions as adolescents or teens, makes for more technical expertise, and probably a lot more thought on the topic of selecting the appropriate levels.
    Yes that sounds reasonable. But I certainly hope the pediatric guys are talking with the adult guys and staying at the cutting edge on the issue of fusion levels! Anything less is not acceptable in a pediatric guy and I would be shocked if these ped guys were not staying current by reviewing the out years on ped cases. They would almost have to be looking at the out years in order to know which levels to fuse in the first place.

And again, I think the ped guys are working with the identical parameters as the adult guys... fuse the structural curve and no more and achieve balance in all planes. If those parameters differ between ped cases and adult cases then that's news to me.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

It would be interesting to know the surgeons thoughts on these differences in your identical twin girls. Why was Willow an easier case to correct? Funny how you start with the same thing and have slight differences in the end. What causes the change? I guess this proves exactly how sensitive the body actually is.
      Well I tried to broach the subject but I think the answer was hyper-technical because he really didn't say anything beyond the first kid's case was not as straightforward. The likely reason is the high amount of rotation if I had to guess in the first kid compared to the second.

The fact that ID twins have different progression trajectories not just in rotation but in progression pattern and rate is consistent with the suggestion that twin studies are probably not a good model with which to study scoliosis or any midline disorder or possibly any disorder. Beyond epigenetics (chemical modification of the genes), there are vagaries of circumstances in the womb and in life after they are born. So while deep genetic control is certainly suggested by the fact that they both had right T curves that made it into the high 50*s and that both had an apex of T9, the similarities end beyond that.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post

Curious also, Rohrer1, did Dr Hey charge for his x-ray review? And did he give you a formal surgical recommendation/2nd opinion? Did you have to make an appointment with him before he would look at your films? Thanks!
        Dr. Hey did not charge me to look at my X-rays and call me to talk about them. His comment to me is that my curves are getting pretty big. He didn't give me a "formal" second opinion as I need to go in and be seen by him for that. He did "indicate" that he would recommend surgery, although never actually came out and said it as he has not examined me in person. I would be leary of anyone that said I needed surgery before they actually met me. He was very professional about it.

The very reason that I'm interested in Dr. Hey is because of his short O.R. time and also his patients seem to lose very little blood. His patient stories and outcomes also look good.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

I'm seriously considering scheduling a consult with Dr. Hey. I have heard many positive things, but has anyone actually had surgery with him? If so, I would love to hear from you!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
          X