Driving home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving home

This is my first post. My wife, age 66, has an 88 degree lumbar curve and will have anterior and posterior surgery on 7 June at the hospital for joint disease in NY. We live 90 miles from the hospital and one of the things that scares me is the drive home. They told us that they wont release her if she is not ready, that the car seat must recline, and we must stop to walk every hour. Susan's niece says she will come and pick us up in her small van, but should I try to rent a big suv? What other preparations should I make? I would appreciate hearing some of your experiences.

Thanks,
    Michael

My hubby and I had a two hour drive from Chicago. We had to stop mid-way to walk (to prevent blood clots). It was not easy, but it was do-able. I was in the hospital for 11 days. We went in our mini van and I had plenty of pillows but probably just used 2 or 3. I remember wanting a milkshake on the way home! My grown daughter was along-- and we stopped (for the walking) at an oasis on the toll road, and she went in to the restroom with me. We were pretty nervous about it all, but it worked out ok. I was exhausted but ok when we got home, ready to lie down. Just be sure she times her pain meds so they'll be strong during the ride home. And make sure the roads you take are fairly smooth-- she'll feel every bump. I really don't think lying down would be any better than reclining a little. What do others think?
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I had my surgery at age 60. No way would I go directly home after surgery.
      I went to a rehab hospital by ambulance for 2 weeks - usually covered by insurance, excellent pain relief and rehab. it also unloads the family who are really not qualified to help an older patient come home. You can ask for a recommendation of a rehab hosp closer to your home.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
      X