Surgery Again :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Again :(

I haven't been on here in a while, but my daughter had a spinal fusion less than two years ago (Feb 08). We are now looking at another surgery this summer to fix a rod that is out of place (looks like the fusion wasn't solid) and also to address a new curve that has appeared above the original curves I am very frustrated because even though I was told at the beginning of this roller coaster ride that there could be a possibility of more surgery, I somehow believed that the first big surgery would somehow "fix" the scoliosis We didn't expect to be doing this again (denial, I guess)

My daughter did so well during and after her first surgery and the correction was great and we had great follow up x-rays at every visit and then all of the sudden, within a few months of the last x-ray, it is completely out-of-whack again and with a new curve :O I am so frustrated right now that in a way, I don't even want to discuss it but feel better venting to those who I believe can truly understand my frustration. She is twelve and now on her third surgery since she was 10 (one for tethered cord, one for spinal fusion) and now this one - not to mention the 6 months of bracing before the surgery and 3 months of bracing afterwards. Prior to all of this, she had absolutely NO medical problems at all. All of this just popped up while having a skin condition checked. I am glad it was caught but she has been through so much. Just wondering how often kids have to have multiple surgeries and are there different problems or complications with recovery after subsequent ones?

Multiple surgeries

Hi, My twin daughters had surgery in March of 09. Meg is fine. My other daughter(they are identical) will be having her 4th surgery late summer.This past year she had two other one s for infection. Her instrumentatin was removed the last surgery and her kyphsosis returned with a vengence! So we can empathazie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a really hard time with the infection surgeries and Maddie had a hard time with the second pre op. Third was better until a week after and she had the change. Amazing isn't it? Time improves all things. My daughter is writing to Oprah. Friends and Child Life from the Hospital have been great supports! She doesn't post here but she sometimes reads parts. That has helped her too! Good Luck!

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter having to go through all of that Luckily, we haven't had to deal with an infection, just a very stubborn spine that refuses, no matter what they do, to be straight I hate to see kids have to be put to sleep so many times - and I know for some kids its alot more (my daughter having three probably sounds like nothing to some) but it is just so scary. I think I am a little more worried this time, because the first time I was thinking it was going to be fixed and this time, I am just wondering if its just another time on the roller coaster. I am missing that confidence and so I am just putting my faith in God that we will come through all this with an eventual fix Hope things are looking up for your daughter soon

Comment

Working...
      X