Update on my minor tuneup/revision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my minor tuneup/revision

Sorry I haven't really updated you all on my surgery of May 19th. I have been very busy house hunting in N.Carolina and trying to clean out this house we have lived in for 34 years. Also, I was hoping to have the very best of news to report on my pain. I think there is some improvement as pain has not been keeping me awake at night. However, I still have some pain and still hope that it will improve over time. Dr. Rand felt that it would improve.

I was very fortunate that Dr. Rand did not have to remove screws and rods to access the area that needed attention, so my recovery was very quick. I had very little surgical pain and refused all narcotics and went with tylenol alone. I was back to skating in two weeks and Dr. Rand said to just keep very active.

This is the procedure on the operative report: Laminectomy L3, L4 & L5 on the right, right L3-4, right L4-5 transforaminal decompression with resection of the right L4 pedicle and base of the transverse process on the right. I had to dig out my Anatomy and Physiology textbook from college to figure out all of the bone parts.

I lost quite a bit of blood, but not enough to be transfused so I came home with iron to take. I guess I am allergic to adhesives as my entire back itched for about five weeks and the skin near the incision is still dark in color from the steri strips. The antibiotics gave me a rash all over my torso for 3 or 4 days. Other than that, I don't have anything else to complain about.

As time goes by, when I am not busy with moving, I will update again.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum. You are a great group of people.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

hey Sally
    hope you are pain free really soon! wish you best of luck in your hunt in Carolina for your next home!

jess

Comment

Sally--Wow, there's a lot going on in your life right now! Be sure to take time to heal. Can't believe you are skating again already. Keeping my fingers crossed that the pain will continue to diminish. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

So much admiration, and a few questions, but when I choke up today - lately - my PC goes kablooey (keeps scrolling on its own, endlessly - just in case anyone knows what that means. Holding the CNTRL key while I try to write helps a little )

Hence so many short postings, for a change!)

Wow!

(Perhaps I should switch to Haiku!)
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Sally,
          Glad it went well...I think that being able to get sleep is paramount to everything. I'm home with a sinus infection (hence all the posts!) and haven't slept well for days- it makes everything hurt. Being able to rest and sleep well is a blessing.

Sounds like you have a lot pending, but all good....

Had my appt with Dr Rand, and he said no surgery yet! Very happy about that!

Stay in touch....
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
            I had very little surgical pain and refused all narcotics and went with tylenol alone. I was back to skating in two weeks
            As time goes by, when I am not busy with moving, I will update again.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum. You are a great group of people.

Sally
            Yo go girl!!! You're quite a woman Sally; there aren't many out there who would have back surgery and go totally without narcotics. Good luck with the move.

Do you have your scating locations scoped out in NC?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I totally missed this post about your surgery. I hope this does the trick for you and you are finally pain free or at least have less pain. I can't believe you were back to skating in 2 weeks. You are truly a wonder woman on skates. Congratulations again on your upcoming move and hope everything is as smooth as can be for you in your move from here to NC.
              avis
              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
              X