No announcement yet.

Sneezing after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura, I didn't want to sneeze, cough, it was hard to laugh and my biggest fear was vomit. Always thinking ahead. If anyone was sick, I told them not to come by, and if someone did slip in, when they left, the bleach wipes came out.

Shari

Comment

Every time I sneeze now, I think of - AFTER. It's all a matter of prep. I certainly have to make sure my house is less dusty, and maybe I'll have to get another electrostatic whole house air cleaner . That worked great even when my son's asthma was awful.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hey Radiogirl....9 weeks? Are you serious? Can't be - wow! Congrats to you!!! I can't believe it!!! Time flies (I wouldn't say it's been fun, though). Although we seemed to have survived - wondered sometimes (okay - many times). Hahaha!!!!! When is your postop appt?

PS: I've sneezed very few times - hurts like the devil, but I just let it go rather than try and fight it. Not sure if that is what I should do or not. Not too many pillows laying around at work at my computer.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I've just realised in past few days that everytime I'm about to sneeze I take a few breaths and it just doesn't happen. Coughing and laughing are very uncomfortable too. It's good to hear everyone else has the same problem..I can't wait to have my first proper sneeze... Hehe
          Kellie 25yrs
          Melbourne, Aus
          Diagnosed 1998- brace for 3 years
          2006 curves showed progression
          Before surgery T45* L43*
          25/5/10 posterior fusion T4-T11
          Post surgery T<20* L27*
          Fingers crossed for more improvement on lumbar before 12 months!

Comment

The day after surgery, the Physios came in to my room to commence rehab. One of the first things i had to do was cough and it was not allowed to be a ahem..one, it had to be a real like strong cough. I had to do this hourly X 3 to keep my lungs clear. I actually got used to it - i just made sure that the meds were not wearing off at the time! I must say though, that the sneezing thing, i did exactly what everyone else did - breathe a few times - and then it was gone!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Sneezing is no fun right after spinal surgery! It is weird how when your body senses pain, those sneezes just seem to disappear! I don't think I really sneezed a real sneeze for a few months after surgery.

Before I had my gallbladder out I wasn't able to sneeze - the pain was knifing under my ribs and I just couldn't sneeze it was that painful. For 6 years I didn't sneeze. When I finally got rid of the GB, 2 weeks after surgery I sneezed for the first time and I nearly cried because it felt so good!

In time the back pain will subside and your body/muscles will relax enough that you'll be able to sneeze as well as ever!
              Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
              Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
              Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
              A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
              Achieved +70% Correction
              Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
              New Spine 03/19/2009
              New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Yawning too?

This might also be related to sneezing. I am 2 1/2 months out from surgery and am having trouble with deep breathing and yawning. I feel like I cant just take a really deep breath. It seems to catch in the area of my osteotomy. I am weaning out of my brace, so I notice every little thing now because my muscles are still oh so weak!
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I couldn't sneeze for 3 months post-surgery! I was afraid it would just be too painful and too much force on my fusing spine. 14 months later...no problems.

Comment

I am 5 weeks out of surgery and I sneezed tonight and OMG did hurt. I do not know why I forget that I had spinal surgery. I am wearing a brace. I had to hold on to the wall and just stood there for a while until the pain went away

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                    X