I'm seriously evaluating EDF for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm seriously evaluating EDF for my daughter

I talked several times about this old technique.
    http://www.tesisenxarxa.net/TESIS_UB...TESISILVIA.pdf
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15144900
    It’s a simple idea, stretch the spine and keep that stretching, as surgery does, but with a brace. I know it is used again in some countries only with a non surgical purpose.
    I think that in fact a necessary condition for reduce degrees and probably for avoid progression too, is to given the discs the chance to regain some of her lost height in the concave side (always talking about great curves, so near or after skeletal maturity).

I think that EDF give this chance. I think that discs are the reason because sometimes braces work during growth, and sometimes not. If the external force leads the spine to growth more straight, the decompression is reached, so the discs could be saved. But not always this occurs, and maybe it would not be enough , I don’t know.

Probably a rigid braces lead muscles to some kind of atrophy and even with health discs, the spine begin to collapse again when the brace is removed. This could be the reason because EDF was not effective 100%.
    So I thought in a dynamic brace http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10276
    But it seems to be absolutely impossible for me to find someone in the world telling me if Spinecor could keep the spine straight as EDF technique requires.
    So I think now in some semi rigid brace. I think a great flexibility should be required to keep the spine straight if a brace do not do all the work, but I think my daughter is enough flexible. In those days it seems that only Cotrel machine could be used to reach flexibility, but now so many therapies exists.

It would be also possible to combine EDF with exercise that requires the muscles to fight against the gravity force to keep the spine straight, when some weight is put in the shoulders and a walk is performed with the spine straight (some therapy as Clear do the same?). I think that in this way muscles not only would not be suffering atrophy, but can do an exercise demanding so much the muscles that hold the vertical.
    I realized time ago that an amazing force is developed doing some activity, but only for that activity, when I practiced Jiu jitsu and I had to fight with an Olympic weightlifter. I was really afraid, looking her amazing torso, arms, back, but in the floor he had not much force, even I beated him. So I can not imagine other exercise more specific to strength those specific muscles. I think that as jiu jitsu people has an amazing force to fight, weightlifters to lifting weights, swimmers to swim.. people doing these exercise should has an amazing force to keep her back straight.

I think that EDF also lead the neuromuscular (and balance?) system to ‘see’ that new posture as the correct, the ligaments to regain her functionality because the great tension is stopped, the muscles to works in the right way with the right length in both sides, the rib cage to adapt a new shape before the definitive ossification of the sternum, (internal organs adapted to the right position?).. all that I supposed occurs after surgery.
    I’m sure if we used to walk across the ceiling upside down all the day, instead of walking across the floor, scoliosis would be reversed, at least it could not evolve.
    I think EDF is as close to that. If in fact some degrees could be reduced, the scoliosis vicious circle would be transformed in a virtuous circle.

Someone knows about a reason why it could not work? We could be sure about some kind of irreversible damage as a terrific vertebral wedge (I suppose it not exists)? Muscles or ligaments could not be restored any more?
    I don’t know how much time need discs to reaches a significant regeneration. That could be a reason if so many years are necessary, or if it is impossible. Who could know that? Rheumatoid or osteology doctors? It could be seen in some kind of study?
    I know ABR people thinks that without improving pressure and volume of internal organs, nothing could works, the pneumatic skeleton remains collapsed for ever and the spine too. I don’t know if it could be good for organs, fascias.. and the pneumatic skeleton could improve in some way too.. surely they don’t think that..
    I think regeneration discs could be helped with some alternative procedure that probably can works while the great pressure in the concave side, leading to degeneration is stopped (otherwise I don’t imagine how could it be done).

The most important of all for me is to know about risks. Could be progression triggered because EDF when the brace is removed? May be that a worse state in some sense would be reached for using a brace in that way? Muscles or ligaments could be weaker?
    I know that probably nobody in the world could be sure about all those questions, but I’ll really appreciate all opinions.

All what I'm saying is give nature a chance

Yesterday I realized that surely that was the thought of the genious Cotrel (not mine of course, I just agree with him)
    Is really shameful my medical ignorance yet, but I believe that many years ago a orthopedic surgeon said to me about why they used casts for fractures. I remember he said something like they don't make nothing in fact, nature does everything, they only give it the chance to do all the job. In this case seems to be a fact that tissues could not be regenerated without keeping the correct 'posture' of the bone.
    Then I think that 'Nature doing the job', is not only a mystic, religious or eastern belief.
    Yes, the spine is not an only bone, but anyway, is logic to think that the spine and all tissues related, need to be in the right posture so nature could works.
    So, why not to give nature a chance in that way if it seems to be be the only one? Someone knows?
    Last edited by flerc; 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I should have used another term instead of nature, such as intelligence or Self Heal power of the body.. like the 5º Osteopathy law.

Comment

What is the 5º Osteopathy law?

Comment

'The law of self-healing of the body: the body has all the necessary mechanisms for self-healing, you just have to help restore normal function.' http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Taylor_Still
          What kind of help are we giving the body to do their job if we leave discs compressed during all day?. What could make this "intelligence" under these conditions? Surely the same like with a broken bone without cast.
          I thinh EDF is the only therapy of scoliosis that gives the body the chance for self-healing
          Other as Rpg, Schroth, Fed.. getting a great flexibility, but without keeping that stretch during the day, give a partial chance. The only way could consists in doing those exercises and sleeping or swimming all the day , never stand up or sit down or walk.
          Someone agree or disagree?

Comment

Yes, such philosophies have been around for a long time. while I believe that intuition is a factor to pay attention to in treatment choices ... we have no studies relating to it :-)

The ancient practice of Qigong http://www.healingcancernaturally.co...ticevideo.html comes to mind relative to this posting. Len Walker, a holistic healer, in the UK, claims to have managed his scoliosis in this manner. http://www.healingcancernaturally.co...on-saliva.html

No studies relating to this either. As is said of many such things: initial reports appear promising - more study is needed.
            Last edited by mamamax; 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

What is EDF?
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                What is EDF?
                this link must to works:
                http://www.tesisenxarxa.net/TESIS_UB...TESISILVIA.pdf
                It's the invention of a genious, but it is an incredible simple an obvious concept: stretch and keep this stretching

Comment

The same can be done with adolescents or adults:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHAED_BHVk

Comment

flerc - is the same thing being done for adolescents and adults somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                      The same can be done with adolescents or adults:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHAED_BHVk
                      Holy crap. Innocent baby kid. Totally fed up with divine claims. They are intellectually insulting.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

You might try posting over at scoliosis support, or flagging down Toni over here. I'm pretty sure she had serial casting as an infant.

Comment

Ouch! It looks painful. It would be worth it if you KNEW the correction would hold. I'll bet that cast would be painful to wear, though.
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

A mother from Spain, told me that her daughter had 30º and after one hour of stretching was 15 º and then they put her immediately a plaster brace, to be replaced after three months for another kind of brace. Mamamax, do you think that it could be replaced by a Spinecor?, could it be so strong to keep the stretch?
                            I think that the younger, the easier to cut as many degrees in less time.
                            In an adult, I think that first, flexibility should be obtained with some therapy, I don´t think that Cotrel machine should to be used now.

Comment

I thought I was not clear enough explaining what is EDF, so I thought that a video might be the only way, and sorely I only could found this. I agree it is really ugly. I showed it to my wife and now she don´t want to hear nothing about EDF.
                              I'm sure Edf has nothing of painful. In any case the pain could be for the plaster over the skin, but nothing terrible. Look what Maty, the mother of a 13 years old girl says here http://escoliosis.org/escoforo/index...sg6529#msg6529
                              and what she said recently: http://escoliosis.org/escoforo/index...sg7901#msg7901
                              She said Cotrel, refering to EDF. She did not used Cotrel machine but Fed machine (it is beeing now used in adults too). In only one hour the curve was reduced from 30º to 15º.
                              Please let me know if I'm not being clear enough. It is really a very simple concept and really I don't know what to do, I'm think that probably it is the only chance, but I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X