Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Walk don't run" . How much, when and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told to walk as soon as I got home from the hospitals, for 10 minutes at a time, three times a day. At first, since it was Minnesota in the winter, I walked in circles inside my house, around and around the first floor. But after about a week at home, I walked outside - often 20-30 minutes at a stretch or longer (usually with friends, in case I fell). I was cleared to go to the gym at about 6 weeks to walk on the treadmill, and was able to use the elliptical machine as well (no arms).

That's about it - walk as much as I wanted, other light exercise, no twisting, no lifting more than 5 pounds for a few months. I was told that walking helped the fusion, though nobody ever explained exactly how.

Comment

More gratitude!!

If possible, put your age and fusions if it's not in sig. Helps me put recommendations in context.

All continues to be amazingly helpful. Such variety! Wondering too about what season some of these fusions were done in.

Can't believe anyone sane early post-fusion, would go outside where I live in Fall or Winter. Have a great big deck at least, but slippery wood is no better. Maybe I can put handrails all along my chain link fenced in backyard!
      Undoubtedly, wearing a brace would help people to see me as a road hazard on the indoor tracks when others are racing around the corners.

(But what a comedown from the days when I did ten - twenty miles at a shot! )
      Oh, well... at least, it will be great to walk without support! It's been a while. So hard to imagine. "Change is inevitable, growth is optional" and all that...

Thanks for well wishes, Mary! (How's it going???)
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
      X