No announcement yet.

Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told by someone, not sure who, as soon as ALL the lines on the road went in one direction (Ha!) and I tell you at first it seemed they were all going different directions, sometimes more than one line in the middle too - and when I felt comfortable with the pain medicine I was taking - I could drive. Hydrocodone even states on the bottle to be aware of your feeling with taking the medicine before you drive. Heck - when will we ever be driving out there again - there are some CRAZY drivers out there! Do they not know we all have had major surgery - WE get the right away!! Zooooommm!!!!! hahahaha!!!!
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

As I got the OK yesterday to drive , I took a short drive to the local shopping center . It is about 15 minutes from my house. It really tired me out. It was not painful.It was uncomfortable. I am in the brace which made it that way. It was weird to drive after 5 weeks of not driving

Melissa

Comment

I am just starting to drive w/o my brace. I am finding it difficult to get comfortable in my seat and am putting a small pillow behind my back in my newly created lordosis. Today I drove 25 min for a hair appt, sat for 2 hours getting beautified, then drove 25 min home and my back was exhausted when I got home. I get very nervous in traffic (I agree! They should know I've just had major back surgery!) After going through this twice, I am very afraid of anything ruining my back!
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
          I am just starting to drive w/o my brace. I am finding it difficult to get comfortable in my seat and am putting a small pillow behind my back in my newly created lordosis. Today I drove 25 min for a hair appt, sat for 2 hours getting beautified, then drove 25 min home and my back was exhausted when I got home. I get very nervous in traffic (I agree! They should know I've just had major back surgery!) After going through this twice, I am very afraid of anything ruining my back!
          Forgive my ignorance but what is a lordosis?

Melissa

Comment

Ed -
            I can't believe you have an RV! You ARE continually surprising! Just the thought of driving and backing up one of those things scares the you know what out of me! Maybe it's a 'man thing', like grilling!

But it sounds like a great trip. Glacier National Park is breathtaking, especially in July. As it happens my niece is working with the Montana Conservation Corp in Glacier National Park until December...bbrrr! No RV camping for those kids! But she's having a great time.

And yes, I did see the movie 'RV' - funny stuff! Before you leave on your trip you might need to re-watch that one and another classic called 'The Long, Long Trailer' with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. It's a family favorite at our house.

Seriously, I hope you have safe travels - you'll have to send us 'picture post cards' from the road. Do you think there is Wi-Fi at these RV parks nowadays?
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Hi Melissa, My surgery was Apr 15 and I just started to drive this week. Head checks are still kind of hard, and I'm not overly comfortable sitting in the car. Learned to look for parking spots I can pull through with. Hard to back up and see clearly. My pain meds are reduced to 1/2 tablet every 7 hours. They do not impact my driving, as far as I know.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                Forgive my ignorance but what is a lordosis?

Melissa
                Melissa,

Lordosis is the inward curve at the lumbar area. I had none (flatback) after my original surgery and my revision created an inward curve so I can stand upright. I have to put a pillow in that space when I drive or sit for support....for now anyway...
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                X