No announcement yet.

Revision Surgery in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I AM praying, Barb! How great that you found a surgeon who is confident he can handle your case surgically!! It will be much easier to work on your weight once you can move more. I can only do floor exercises (a lot better than nothing!). It is hard for me to keep my weight down on that account. though I'm not sure what I can do afterwards. That's from being so sedentary. However, my appetite is low, according to one surgeon because my stomach is being compressed by my scoliosis.

FWIW I have your same problems without the broken rod. That is, flatback and severe arthritis with destroyed disks in the lumbar spine. Scoliosis as in my sig line. I depend on a walker. Just read a report from one of my consulting surgeons which said he thought the arthritis had caused the scoliosis to worsen.

I do indeed pray for your good outcome! I'm very interested in your having two weeks between ops. Would you be in the hospital the whole time? I've been told to expect either a matter of days or (up to ) six weeks - different surgeons - for anterior and posterior.
    Last edited by Back-out; 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Follow the Journey

I started a blog at: spinejourney.blogspot.com
      Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
      Fusion with Harrington Rod, Milw, WI
      T4 to L4
      Pre-Surgery: 76 & 80
      Post-Surgery: 18 & 21

5/2010 48 yrs old, Thornton, CO
      Flat Back, severe arthritis on bottom, severe pain & can barely walk

7/13/2010 surgery - anterior
      7/27/2010 surgery - posterior
      8/30/2010 infection in abdomen surgery - 5 in hole
      10/28/2010 infection surgery - bigger hole
      11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

Comment

Preparing for surgery in 22 days

I have talked to all 3 surgeons and feel very confident in them. I'm had my EKG and blood work done - all good. This week - lung function test due to asthma and a chest x-ray. Will be done with doctors and tests until July 9. Getting emotionally, physically and mommy-way prepared. Trying to get all 3 boys prepared for when I'm gone - movies, overnights with friends, clean rooms...

Unfortunately, 10 days ago our 6 year old cracked his shin bone in a bike crash. He has a cast from his toes all the way up the leg. He is wheelchair bound and has to be carried everywhere the wheelchair does not go. The doctor is trying to get him in a walking cast right before my surgery to try to help out.

A little scared and worried about how long I'll be laid up and cannot drive. I love to drive my kids everywhere and will miss this the most.
        Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
        T4 to L4

11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

Comment

Hi Barb, from reading your posts, you sound like a very strong women, and very well informed of what is to come. The only thing I can say is to keep posting, as everyone will tell you, you will find lot's of encouragement and very helpful advise here. This forum was a godsend to me before and after my surgery. Keep strong!
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

hi Barb
            so sorry that you are in so much pain!

i lost weight at various times in my life by using mostly fruits and vegetables and little else...one source for protein, and consuming the fruits and veggies in smoothies often mixed with fat free yogurt, and fiber......there are so many protein powders you can throw in to the smoothies now...that is what i did at times when i could not exercise at all...barely got up out of bed...but i did lose weight...
            i now have no weight problems, but actually went down too low from oxycontin..i couldnt eat with it....at all! but i dont recommend it as a diet tool

my pain management doctor has been a life saver to me..until/if i have the surgery...between the oral pain meds (the ones i can take and still eat) and the injections, he is keeping me going!

i hope you can have the surgery soon....it is good you have confidence in the surgeons you met...
            and if you cant drive, i bet there are neighbors or friends who could pitch in for a while to help!

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 06-21-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Bad Day

I need encouraging words. I am in a lot of pain today. Also muscle cramps from spine all the way down the left leg. I've had these now off and on for a month but they are getting worse and lasting longer. Taking muscle relaxers and tylenol with codine. Also getting very nervose and scared. First surbery in 21 days. Also, please pray for my 6 year old son who broke his leg and is in a wheelchair. Doctor trying to get him in a walking cast before I have to have surgery.

When it rains, it pours!
              Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
              T4 to L4

Comment

Working...
              X