Ben's surgery update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben's surgery update

Day 1==== Ben is out of a +12 hour surgery & is being taken care of in the pediatric ICU for a couple of days. The doctors did a great job & are very tired. He went in with 110 degrees curve & was corrected to about 65, his little body wouldn't allow anymore even though it was possible, his spinal cord couldn't take it. Minor complication with one lung but was corrected immediately to best of our knowledge. He has a breathing tube & is heavily sedated at this time.
    Day 2==== well Ben was non-responsive to movement this morning then they stopped one of his medications for the heavy sedation - at 2pm he was moving quite a bit when dad & I talk or touch him - made a big streched & raised his hand but no eyes open yet.
    Only on saline drip & morphine. Steroids for healing will be discontinued at 4:30pm. Still assisted with the ventalator but he is starting to breath on his own They checked his heart for hyper-tension, but all looks good thank heavens.
    In just the first 24 hours morphine on low, breathing tube out, steroids done, all vitals good, excellent movement, trying to open eyes but a little too swollen, it is really amazing how well he is doing & how he is trying to get up. sleeping like a baby right now
    Day 3 ==== Ben looked good this morning, opening eyes a bit & making noises (feeling the pain )
    they changed his dressing this morning & are removing the rest of his IV's & tubes. Moving to the ped I.C.E. unit this afternoon, then will let him awake a little more for some food & drink (we will have to see how this goes)
    I must say this is becoming the most difficult part for me as he is showing the tears of pain, my worst fears coming true gonna head back now
    MOM Nancy
    Last edited by nancystreasures; 06-01-2010, 10:28 PM.

hi Nancy
    thoughts and prayers to your poor sweet brave little boy..and to you...it must be so hard to see him hurting...but remember that you did this to better his life! it will all work out....ask for help when you need it...try to trust the professionals and the healing process...

jess

Comment

Please know you have our full and complete support here for you and your little trooper son. He has a long road ahead of him - and you - but with a wonderful family and support he can do it. Please keep us posted. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

This must be very tough for you Nancy. Sounds like your little boy is coming through this well though. I hope they can make him comfortable and once they get him up and eating, you'll no doubt see a rapid improvement. Just hope they can achieve that pain control though, for all your sakes.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

tell ben i said get well soon
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Keeping you and Ben in my thoughts and prayers, Nancy!

You *can* do this and you *will* get through it.

We're with you!

Comment

Sorry there were no updates for awhile - I stayed in the hospital 24/7 with Ben & the husband was there first thing every morning - we did all we could to help & the nurses were wonderful & appreciated parents who are willing to put in the effort to help - it is a very busy place & one can be easily side tracked with other emergencies/situations.

We have been home for 6 days now... still a little deflated from everything but Ben is doing great!

He had his surgery on Wed. May 19th - chest tube removed on Tuesday May 25th (holiday long weekend ) & Ben was finally able to get up & move!
              We left the hospital on the morning of our 9th day - Thursday May 27th & never looked back - he was smiling the whole way home (5 hr. drive)
              Ben is not showing signs of major discomfort unless he twists wrong & that is learned very quickly =) He is trying to walk more independantly, asking for help to get up off the couch but using little to no assistance to make it from one room to the other. Of course he also needs help to get in & out of bed & shower.
              It is a major strain on a family but remember everyone is doing it for one reason & one reason only... for the health & welfare of our child & knowing it is going to make his quality of life better makes it all worth it!

I think the one thing that really got to me the most is that Ben is special needs & had no idea he was having the surgery - to see him wake up 3 days later, swollen & hurting - not knowing what the heck happened was the heart wrencher but he is my little warrior & He is absolutely amazing!

We would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts & prayers - you are most generous & appreciated. We hope that anyone/everyone going through this same ordeal has a happy, safe & successful procedure & recovery.

Nancy & the Grant Family

Comment

hi Nancy
                so glad the surgery is over ...i worried about that part too, how much Ben could be told...or understand...and how frightening it would be to wake up after anesthesia!
                so good to know he did fine...

wishing Ben smooth uneventful healing from now on, and some rest for his mother!

take care....
                jess

Comment

Nancy,

You sound like an amazing mom and an amazing person. Congratulations to your family and especially Ben for getting through this event.

I hope Ben has a great summer. He sounds like a wonderful little guy. Same to you!
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Keep going Mom!

Just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with your son and both you and your husband. My daughter had spinal fusion surgery 2 weeks ago for scoliosis and is recuperating. God is so good. Right now it may seem that full recovery is a LONG way off . Those first few days can seem so long , that you will never be able to just get through it. Every day he will get better and some days feel worse but then you will look back a day ago or 3 days and notice the progress. Keep the faith.

Comment

thank you everyone for all your positive & encouraging messages.
                      I hope everyone who is, will be or has gone through this surgery is doing well. I feel very good about our Ben, he is absolutely amazing & has shown great progress & attitude since the start
                      My husband is feeling better as the days go by & our boy shows him his strengths & abilities.

Good luck to you all - it is a great feeling knowing we have people to talk to who know how it feels god bless you all

Nancy

Comment

Working...
                      X