No announcement yet.

decisions, decisions and different opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for the update, Evelyn. It sounds like you are doing really well! That's great that you have such a straight back and very little leg pain. I was wondering about that.
    I am encouraged reading your update. I can identify so much with your post, such as eating comfort foods. I haven't been doing much walking but should get back to that.
    Thank you for the info about your hip. Just yesterday I got a pain in my left hip, so tender that it has caused more of a limp and hurts when I lay down. But I'll just wait some days to see if it goes away. Glad you are doing so well.
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray

Comment

• Congratulations, Evelyn on your one-year anniversary! As to being unsure, try not to look back and better think that you have a nice straight back that is stable and will not get worse. You mentioned that you're glad that this surgery is behind you, not ahead of you and I totally with you on that one even though I still have a lot of healing to do.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Congratulations!

Evelyn,
        Thank you for posting of your improvements as well as some issues you are still having. I eventually noticed improvements in year 2 and even now in the beginning of my third year. At a year, I still couldn't sit very long without noticing a pain in my tailbone-it felt like it had been bruised. As soon as I stood up and walked, it felt better. At some point during the 2nd year, it dawned on me that I was not longer having the need to stand. After my two year anniversary, I quit needing a pillow behind my back in the car unless it was a long ride. I actually try to work on abdomen muscles by just sitting up straight and not leaning back. A church pew is much better now! I know that I regained a lot of muscle strength during year 2 as I was permitted to do more exercises. My flexibility has improved, too. My point of all of this is that I think you are doing well and will continue to notice improvements. Congratulations on your one year anniversary!
        Your new picture on Facebook looks fantastic.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Hi Evelyn,

Just wanted to reiterate what others have said, that the improvements continue into the second year and you may even find, the third year. I strongly believe you will be much more convinced this time next year, that you did the right thing in having the surgery.

I am fascinated how instructions can vary so much: "I got to meet with Janet (the physical therapist), and she gave me some new exercises to stretch my hamstrings and calves, etc. Contrary to Dr. Lenke, she doesn't recommend bending, lifting or twisting. Also, she said logrolling "is forever." "

I never log-rolled except for once or twice in hospital. My surgeon had a lever/handle placed onto the side of my bed and from then on, I pulled myself up, and never log-rolled again. Cross fingers it hasn't done me any harm. It doesn't seem to have.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Hi Evelyn,

Congratulations on reaching that 1 yr post-op milestone. As I am approaching my 2 yr anniversary, I would concur with the others saying that you will continue to improve. It's just more subtle now. It hit me a month ago when I met with my family doctor and I told him that I am really the strongest that I have ever been. Prior to my surgery I wasn't able to do any upper body strengthening because it would just make my back hurt. Now I am doing weights 2-3 times/wk, and it so much easier.

Hope you will be able to find an exercise routine that will work for you as you head into your second post-op year. Thanks for sharing.
            Donna
            Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
            Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
            Fused T3-L3
            60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
            Tennis player & returning to the courts!
            http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes! I do believe I will continue to improve. I'm with Susie Bee and some others who had slower recoveries. But I AM recovering, and for that I praise God! Karen, you mentioned the car--yes, I just took my pillow out of the garage because I don't need it anymore!! Jennifer, that is strange about the different instructions, but I would say Dr. Lenke's PT is extremely conservative--even more so than Dr. Lenke himself. I have gotten up a few times without logrolling, and it seemed fine. It's just that logrolling is my habit now.

Best,
              Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Scoliosis Art

image.jpg

Hi all,

Thought you all might enjoy this art I saw at my son's PT office. (See attachment above.) I like the rainbow colored vertebrae.

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• The image is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• The picture is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us

Melissa
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• That is very pretty art work.
                      Tamena
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Working...
                      X