4 weeks post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 weeks post op

I'm 4 weeks post op and went on my first excursion, outside of doctor appointments. We went out to a very informal dinner. But it was good.
    I'm starting to feel like myself again. Still alot of stiffness and aches in my muscles as I start moving around more. I can get in and out of the car with ease. No driving for me for a while though. But I can at least be a passenger now.
    My incision is my concern now. I have about 1/2" spot near the bottom of my incision that is still draining. No infection. Have been on antibiotics for about 12 days. Dr. is calling me Monday to see if drainage is better. If not, he said we will have to go back to the operating room to re-work incision. Obviously much easier than what I've already been through in the operating room, but still hope I don't have to do this.
    I have cut my pain meds in half. I take 1/2 pain med, 1/2 tylenol every 4-5 hours. I hope to start weaning off pain meds in another couple of weeks. Time will tell.
    Just started sleeping better. The last couple of nights I have slept 4-5 hours without getting up. Still fidgety outside of that.
    Quad muscles are still straining and sore alot. Will look forward to muscle aches lessening. I'm sure this is a ways out though.
    My weight is still way low, I need to gain about 8-10 lbs. Never thought i would hear myself say that.
    That's all for my quick update. Good luck to those of you with surgery coming up. Like we all say it's tough, but you get through and I have only slight memories of those first days and week.
    Lynette, Melissa, and Laura I hope your recoveries are still going well.

Thanks again to all of you for your support and advice!!
    Shari
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Shari -- so good to hear you're doing well. Must have really felt good to go out on your first excursion. Do hope your incision stops draining and you don't have to go back in for rework. Thanks for your words of encouragement for those of us who are coming behind you.

Glenda
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
    X