Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc regeneration

http://www.terrapinn.com/2010/stemcells/index.stm
    I have read that last year was in California a World Congress of Regenerative Medicine.
    I don't know if it is the same, now in London the next week. I know that last year some people exposed about other discs regeneration solutions as ozone. I supposed that now they’ll also expose about discs regeneration. I think that is the only way to reduce degrees in great curves in adults. It would be great if someone could assists.

Originally posted by flerc View Post
    http://www.terrapinn.com/2010/stemcells/index.stm
    I have read that last year was in California a World Congress of Regenerative Medicine.
    I don't know if it is the same, now in London the next week. I know that last year some people exposed about other discs regeneration solutions as ozone. I supposed that now they’ll also expose about discs regeneration. I think that is the only way to reduce degrees in great curves in adults. It would be great if someone could assists.
    I don't know a whole lot about regenerative medicine. But it is a fascinating field of Molecular Medicine, yet controversial among many becaue of stem cell use. From what I have learned so far, they are able to do some amazing things, like using some sort of protien cage and actually reconstructing whole organs. I'm not quite sure what, if any, procedures are FDA approved in the USA, but this might bring some hope to those with scoliosis from either bone deformity or disk degeneration, as you mention. It would certainly be less invasive than metal rods, but I think would be a LONG time coming. Nice topic.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi roher01, I hope it will not be delayed to long. Some disk regeneration methods, as I have heard, had good outcomes in animals; I hope it will be prove soon in human beings.

Regards

Comment

Even if one could regenerate discs, what would one do with all those wedged vertebrae?
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ever exists a great wedged vertebrae? That is my question 5) http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...t=10151&page=3
          How could I know that? I’m only sure that ever exists disk wedge.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Even if one could regenerate discs, what would one do with all those wedged vertebrae?
            Maybe VBS. This probably shows my ignorance, but it seems the discs have to be wedge shaped for scoliosis to occur. OR the vertebrae have to be wedge shaped as in congenital scoliosis.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
              Maybe VBS. This probably shows my ignorance, but it seems the discs have to be wedge shaped for scoliosis to occur. OR the vertebrae have to be wedge shaped as in congenital scoliosis.
              In idiopathic scoliosis (probably not in congenital, I don’t know) always exists disc wedge. Vertebrae wedge seems to always exists too, but in a so different scale than in congenital scoliosis. I don’t know how significant could it be. Clearly in a x-ray the disc wedge could be seen. If vertebrae disc would not be terrific and disc wedge improve in a significant way, then the curve should to be reduced in a significant way too. I think it’s only a geometry matter. If I flex my trunk to a side I’ll have a disc wedge (not a vertebrae one), but when my trunk is straight again, that wedge disappear. That’s not happen with scoliosis.
              Satre (Fed Machine) proved that traumatic discs lead to progression (during growth) and compression lead to increment that traumatism.
              It seems that if nothing is done, that compression lead to degeneration disc at least in great curves. It seems that it was impossible to regenerate it some years ago, I’m not sure if it could be done today, probably not yet.
              I believe that a degenerated disc could not recover it height in the concave side.
              I think that is logic to believe that is not possible to keep the discs with it normal height, if that discs could not do that by itself.
              So I think that is logic to say that the only way to reduce degrees is recovering the normal disc’s height. At least it would be a necessary condition.
              So, all conservative methods, could be useful to reduce degrees or not if its improve disc’s health or not, in a direct or indirect way.
              The other only common factor that without any doubt exists in all idiopathic scoliosis is the collapse of the pneumatic skeleton, but it is a so different issue.

Comment

Is it a hope?

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/wound-heal-0304.html

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  Vertebrae wedge seems to always exists too, but in a so different scale than in congenital scoliosis. I don’t know how significant could it be.
                  This x-ray may be of interest to people reading this thread; it's an x-ray of my spine at age 16, before I had my lumbar curve fused. Note the shape of the vertebrae at the apex of the curve. This is idiopathic scoliosis, albeit infantile idiopathic scoliosis so a very longstanding curve that I'd had since infanthood.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2424/...d5b2a3e5_o.jpg

Comment

Thanks Tonibunny. It's really so interesting. A wedge could be seen in this vertebrae. An osteologist said me that only during childhood vertebras might be wedged. But of course some surgeon might said something different. Any issue about scoliosis seems to be debatable.

Comment

Thanks Tonibunny. It's really so interesting. A wedge could be seen in this vertebrae. An osteologist said me that only during childhood vertebras might be wedged. But of course some surgeon might said something different. Any issue about scoliosis seems to be debatable.
                      The osteologist is mistaken. The most common cause of vertebral wedging is degeneration.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

degeneration of the vertebrae or the disc?

Comment

degeneration of the vertebrae or the disc?
                          I was talking about vertebrae. Discs tend to flatten relatively uniformly.

Comment

I think it's not illogic to suppose that disc degeneration might lead to vertebra wedge. If I'm not understanding wrong, degeneration on discs leads to lose her height, so the vertebral pressure increase.
                            I'm mistaken?

Comment

glucosamine

A biochemical please!

http://www.inedia.com/fsvt/sulfato_glucosamina.shtml
                              Even the Food and Drug Administration seems to not saying nothing about this, I have read in other pages too that glucosamine can improve discs.
                              They also says that without sodium chloride have not effect. http://www.inedia.com/fsvt/sulfato_glucosamina2.shtml

I have read that Shark cartilage has glucosamine but I don’t know if it has sodium chloride too.

Comment

Working...
                              X