• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/classic/articlere...i?artid=403146

Comment

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...a6c03396f7520d

Comment

Question for Pooka1

Interesting article about glucosaming and chondroitin. My doc wasn't really in favor of me taking it, feeling that it would be digested like any other food. If, in fact, it really does stimulate disc regeneration in mildly degenerated discs, or if there is a chance of it helping, it would be worth adding to my daily vitamins.

I'm wondering about a procedure that they use in race horses to help speed the healing process in wounded bones. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but I think it has something to do with poking around the injured area with hot pokers to stimulate healing. I know it sounds brutal, but it works. I wonder if the same principal could be applied to humans (under general anesthesia, of course)? Maybe Pooka1 would know something about this.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Interesting article about glucosaming and chondroitin. My doc wasn't really in favor of me taking it, feeling that it would be digested like any other food. If, in fact, it really does stimulate disc regeneration in mildly degenerated discs, or if there is a chance of it helping, it would be worth adding to my daily vitamins.
          Joint supplements are the hot topic in performance horses. I have much reading up to do to come up to speed but I have used injectable joint supplements with my horse. I tried a series a few years ago and there was no change so I guess that meant he didn't have any joint issues or he is immune to the effects. He recently got another injection of a different compound IIRC which might work now that he is a few years older.

I'm wondering about a procedure that they use in race horses to help speed the healing process in wounded bones. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but I think it has something to do with poking around the injured area with hot pokers to stimulate healing. I know it sounds brutal, but it works. I wonder if the same principal could be applied to humans (under general anesthesia, of course)? Maybe Pooka1 would know something about this.
          You are thinking of pin-firing which, it turns out, has the main effect of forcing the owner to rest the horse. If you rest horses with similar injures and don't pinfire them they heal at the same frequency and rate.

I was recently floored to see a horse who was pinfired because I thought it was debunked years ago. I still think it is debunked but people will not give up their myths.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pinfiring in horses (thermocautery)

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...-obsolete.aspx
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It's good to know that resting causes the same effect. It sounded cruel to me. Well at least I know it's not something that they would do to humans!
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
              X