Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 18 of 18

Thread: Anxious--Pre-op is this Wednesday!

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Northern Virginia

    Everything will work out just fine. It's possible with such a short amount of time between surgeries you will remain 'cathetered' and on IV pain meds. Less for you to deal with if that's the case, but even if it's not, you'll still do well!

    We'll be thinking of you on both days!
    Julie - 51 yrs old

    Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

    Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
    Achieved +70% Correction
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

    Standing x-ray
    New Spine 03/19/2009
    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Psychologists speak of approach-avoidance conflicts so much the term has entered the lexicon. It's good to remember this human tendency as surgery draws near, nearer - the internal conflicts DO get worse.

    You decided on this step in a calm state of mind, after weighing all the pros and cons for you. We have to make important decisions rationally. It's definitely a cost:benefit issue and we need to listen to reason - our own. If we all listened to our fears especially at the last minute when they're bound to be loudest, we'd never go through anything involving risk - however necessary.

    Having said that, I'm reminded that Dr Lenke's nurse emphasized to me repeatedly (to be encouraging), how often cancellations come up at the last moment - for surgery. NOT for consults!
    I wonder what that means. Some patients must indeed change their minds at the last minute!

    I hope to hell I'm not one of them. (Sometimes I think I should change my log-in name lest it be prophetic! ) I sure wish I'd trusted my gut feeling to cancel my marriage right beforehand (Talk about gut feelings! I landed in the hospital with excruciating stomach pains, never diagnosed. Now I realize they were psychosomatic - my way of warning myself I was about to make the worst mistake of my life!)

    But having thoroughly digressed, I return to the difference. This is NOT a decision involving a lot of passion, like falling in love.

    Glenda, your feelings are entirely natural. They may well get worse. But this is a rational decision and you made it in your right mind. That means it's right for you. The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor, and chances are like so many, you'll only wish you 'd done it sooner. Take some deep breaths when you feel that panic, and remind yourself of your good sense behind this decision. Trust it. And your excellent surgeon!

    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Julie and Back-Out for your words of encouragement.

    I appreciate your words of wisdom Back-Out. I do feel the odds are in my favor and I know my situation is only going worsen without intervention. I have received some excellent feedback on my surgeon and on the Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital. As you mentioned, I'll just be glad when I am able to look back and say, I only wish I had done it sooner.
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts