Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you bike after surgery? (I know, I know - practive BEFORE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you bike after surgery? (I know, I know - practive BEFORE!)

I love to bike though I'm out of the habit. It also significantly relieves my scoliosis pain and lets me get places. My town has a fair number of bike paths. I hate to think I might never be able to go back to it - not sanely anyhow. One DOES occasionally take a spill - even experienced cyclists.

Great aerobic exercise too. Swimming makes my hair turn green and takes much more time out of my day - plus those shower tiles and around the pool, CAN be slippery. Hell ANYTHING can cause a fall! Wet leaves and black ice are the worst

Thoughts? Comments? I had to be careful before my surgery for cervical stenosis (a fall could have meant total paralysis from the neck down - and death from respiratory arrest). This sounds just as bad, though.

Just in case someone says it's OK "once I"m fused" - how can they tell? Nb I have osteopenia.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

I haven't had surgery yet, but rode my bike today on a bike trail and worried if I would have the nerve to do this after the surgery. I was going fairly fast on the downhill slope. I don't think I will be afraid to ride my bike around town where there aren't steep hills, but probably wouldn't try the bike trail until I am completely fused. I will definitely not try anything without my doctor's permission. Dr. Lenke said that eventually I should be able to do anything I do now. I worry that I won't be able to golf nearly as well, but I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. I think skiing would be more frightening that bike riding and I know there are many who have skiied after surgery.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I have wondered the same thing about riding a bike.And I was also wondering about if I could go to a shooting range( shot guns and hand guns)I was going to ask my surgeon when I see him the end of the month.
      Aug.17,09 Anterior
      Aug.20,09 Posterior
      Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
      Cedars-Sinai
      Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
      Husband married 30 years
      3 kids 29,28,25
      4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

i kinda suspect that since bike riding takes bending (not from the hips) and reaching, it might be out if one is fused to pelvis...but i very well could be wrong...i only rode stationery recumbent bike at the gym....and now i hurt too much for that...but i know riding a real bike is much more...dynamic!

i am wondering whether one can ever go back to those lower body machines at the gym once one is fused to sacrum or pelvis...cause not only do you have to climb onto them, but they are semi laying down...at least, the one i like the best...and then you have to push down with your feet...i never could keep my back still when i did it...

jess

Comment

The only bike riding I've done since surgery is the recumbent bike at the gym, which allows you to lean back against support and maintain a straight spine while pedaling. It's great for strengthening quads and core muscles. I was told that a typical bike requires too much thoracic bending for at least a year post-op but that was just my own experience.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by sheri66 View Post
            I have wondered the same thing about riding a bike.And I was also wondering about if I could go to a shooting range( shot guns and hand guns)I was going to ask my surgeon when I see him the end of the month.
            Sheri,

My daughter was a hunter at the time of her surgery and that was one of her concerns when facing surgery. Her surgeon told her she could return to hunting at one year post-op--but not before. She shot her first deer the year she returned to hunting after her surgery. Her fusion hasn't changed anything with shooting (whether hiking through the woods to hunt or just target practice).

Mary Lou
            Last edited by Snoopy; 05-04-2010, 05:39 AM.
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Jess,
              Thanks for your encouragement with golf. I may be wrong, but I think I'll be able to ride my bike. It has the speeds, but you sit upright with a full seat. I used to think they looked like an "old lady bike" years ago when I had my 10 speed. Oh, well, whatever works. The main problem I have is that I bought a boy's bike so my husband would ride it, too (which he doesn't) I'm thinking that swinging my leg over the bar is probably not going to work. Maybe I can trade it in since it's only a couple of years old & get one with no cross bar.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi everyone, have not been on for awhile, but I do check in every once in awhile to see how everyone is!

As far as riding a bike, I am fused to the pelvis and I have gotten back on a bike and was fine, just like before surgery, no problems. I was very happy to be able to ride a bike again!
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

That's GREAT, Dolores!! I had to look up your age (Hoping you'd posted it) and this means so much more to me since you're 55 and not a "kid" in your 20s much less in your early to mid forties.

Of course, I really MUST get back to riding in advance of the surgery as afterward is no time for a refresher course. I imagine biking per se is fine, but falling is NOT! What did your doctor say?

Thank you - and everyone else for their input. It would be so nice to be able to use a bike again for transport! I sorely need aerobic exercise and find tracks and indoor routines get stale. Pools have the problem I mentioned.

How I wish I could go to the shore as Titaniumed recommends. That would heal mind AND body.
                  Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Dolores,

I'm extra encouraged to see your fusions are JUST what was recommended for me front and back!

Comment

Mary Lou,thank you for the encouragement.I have an appointment with my surgeon the end of the month for 9 month x rays.
                      Aug.17,09 Anterior
                      Aug.20,09 Posterior
                      Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                      Cedars-Sinai
                      Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                      Husband married 30 years
                      3 kids 29,28,25
                      4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

wow...so good to hear that you "pelvic people" can ride bikes after surgery!! since i never rode before, except for recumbent at gym, i kinda dont think i'll be riding after, either but maybe i'll be able to go back to the gym after surgery...i still dont know about those lower body semi-laying down machines...

jess

Comment

I am fused to pelvis and I fully intend to get back on my bike again when I get my brace off. The only concern I have is with falling. So I will be taking it easy at first. I am not sure why everyone seems to think that just because you are fused to the sacrum or pelvis that you are ramrod stiff. This is not the case at all. You are given bending and twisting restrictions for a few months until the fusion is healed. Beyond that, you can still function and bend , just maybe in a different way. Fusion to the pelvis is not the end of the world ;-)
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Back to Biking

I haven't been on here for awhile but decided to check in. I am 66 years old and was fused from T10-S1. At my six-month checkup, my surgeon (Dr. William Lauerman) asked me, "Is there anything you are not doing because of your surgery that you would like to do?" I thought that was such a cool question. So, I replied, "biking and kayaking." He told me, "get out there and bike. I'm not sure about kayaking, but give it a try."

So, I went bike for 1.5 hours along the Potomac River. It was fantastic! I'm still nervous about biking on harder surfaces but will do it soon. As for kayaking, I'd love to get back in a kayak (flat water only), but I have trouble getting in and out of the boat.

Cheers!

Karen
                            Karen, 66 years "young"
                            Polio at 6
                            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Three surgeries in one week:
                            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Wow! That's great Karen!!! Looking at your surgery sounds very similar to mine. Close in age as well. It's so good to hear these success stories!! Thanks for coming back and for posting.
                              Glenda
                              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                              Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                              X