No announcement yet.

Acrylic nails, toenail polish and surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since different surgeons seem to have different requirements, this is an ideal question for a pre-op appointment.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

mbeckoff,

I'll bet they'll just say to speak to the anesthesiology staff. Surgeons seems to like to stick to their own terrain - from post op rehab and housing (social services), to nailbed and pre-op fasting (anesthesiology) to PT.

All unless they have some special fixation about permitted (or forbidden) forms of exercise or some other strong (but not universally shared) preference.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I had a french nail look done to my fingernails (it was called "pink and white") and I had my toenails bright pink with little flowers painted on both big toes to cheer me up. No mention was made of not doing that. Here, almost 5 wks post op, I still haven't gotten back to have them redone, and they still look pretty good!
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I had my surgeries done at Johns Hopkins and the "Preparing for Surgery" info I was given said, "no make-up of any kind, deodorants, lotions, perfumes, hair products, nail polish, etc." I went in completely devoid of all 'beautification.' So Weird!

However, when I was getting ready the morning of surgery, it sure made things super easy! which I appreciated since we had to leave the house at 3:30 am for the drive in to Baltimore.

After the surgery I was not thinking about nail polish or make-up. That came after I returned home and even then I didn't care that much. It was a nice break from routine and nothing to maintain.

The need for accurate physical assessment during surgery should take precedence over beauty anyday! And I'm sure a patient's allure is the last thing on any surgeon's mind - at least during operating hours!
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I agree, Julie, as I said earlier. And I know how sorely you must have been tempted !

But your post reminded me on the broader issue. They don't want you to use the other products apart from make-up and nail polish. They also want you to refrain from perfume, hair products, etc.

That first and foremost, because they need to be able to assess your intra-operative status - this includes even smells which could indicate abnormalities, from say. extreme sweating or loss of bowel or bladder function.

What's more, if you needed an emergency MRI or even Xray, there are plenty of powders and hair products containing silica and metals which can compromise image quality.

Having had dozens of MRIs I know the routine there, and all of you who who have had mammograms, must have been instructed to skip talcs and deodorants for the same reason. They might otherwise think they see tiny calcifications which were artefacts of your beauty routines!

Sucks! But safety, first. (I have been able thus far to rationalize that little bit of eyeliner and brow shaping - as long as I don't use any glitter products! )
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
            X