Acrylic nails, toenail polish and surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic nails, toenail polish and surgery

I was told to remove the nail polish and acrylic from my fingernails before surgery. Did you all have to remove everything from your fingernails? Nothing was said about my toes though. Can I keep polish on my toes? If the rest of me is going to feel and look so aweful post op I would love to have some part of me that reminds me of the better days to come. There is something very cheery about bright pink toenails!

Also, as to when to get the last mani and pedi before surgery, how close to the surgery can you do this?
    Last edited by Greenthumb; 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM.
    Teresa
    Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
    62/66 degrees pre-op
    Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
    20/17 degrees post-op
    SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
    Mom to:
    Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

Hello Greenthumb,

You must enjoy gardening?!

The anesthesiologist will need to be able to see the correct color of your fingernails and toenails as part of his/her monitoring. Very important.

We ladies sure do hate to give up our beauty routines. Ask your mani/pedi person to make them beautiful and au natural!

Cheers to you...
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

I went into surgery with fire-engine-red toenails and nobody said a thing...
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
        I went into surgery with fire-engine-red toenails and nobody said a thing...
        Oops,

Maybe things have changed...
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

hmmmm...i didnt think it has changed...it was/is kinda standard just to be able to check the nails...i was "code blue" once in the hospital in Manhattan, &, while i was semi-hallucinatory, i peered at my finger nails while they were screaming "code blue" on the intercom, and i said in a very weird voice..."ohhhhh...my fingernails are blue...look at that!"

you could have someone give you a manicure or pedicure in the hospital when you're recovering...if you're up to it, or not too medicated to care!

jess

Comment

My toe nails were the deepest pink. I decided to trim and polish my nails right before surgery knowing I wouldn't be able to reach them again. Nobody said anything to me. It's time for me to get a pedicure now
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I have silk wrap on my fingers with a french polish and I had it removed before my surgery (toe nail polish, too). Unfortunately, it was a while before I could sit long enough to get the silk put back on again! But I did!
              Kathy, 43
              Diagnosed as a teen
              Boston brace 2 years
              63 degree lumbar curve
              Surgery August 26, 2009
              Anterior approach fused T12-L4
              now 28 degrees

Comment

I am a retired Nail Technician (retired 2007). I gave it up due to the pain being too much (unsteady hand). If clients told me they were heading for hospital, I would tell them to delay having any kind of enhancement applied. If they did have acrylic, I would do their service but inform them that, they need to wear their nails natural, as this was protocol for surgery. Apparently they can tell alot about what is going on through the color of your nailbeds. It is not so much the enhancements they worry about, its more if you have lacquer on or not. I would advise having any mani or pedi 1 week before the surgery.
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

welllll...maybe cause when you go code blue...the nails really do turn blue!! i had 2 hours of oxygen left in my bloodstream when it happened!!!

jess

Comment

My toes were also polished prior to my surgery. If the instructions say something about fingernails, and doesn't mention toenails, I would assume polish is OK.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

There go my plans to get a pedicure and fill right before surgery since I figured it would be weeks before I'd be able to go back. Oh, well. I'll just have to look forward to my first visit when I am able. It sure makes sense not to have the polish or acrylic nails.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Get a french manicure, then you can still see the color of your nailbeds! No acrylic though, you won't be able to get a good O2 Sat.
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Color of nails

I am a nurse and it is part of the general assessment of any patient to check the color of the nailbeds. Also sometimes the oxygen saturation monitor they put on your finger sometimes wont read accurately if it has to read through finger nail polish. Knowing all this, I went to the hospital with pink polish on my toes! I had to have some dignity...

Today I tried cutting my toenails for the first time since my surgery. I had to do it while my brace was off. I felt like I needed longer arms! I got the job done but afterwards my hips were hurting. I am sure in time this job will get easier as I regain some of my flexibility. I am a "pelvic person" as Jess says and so far this is the hardest task I have come upon!!!
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

sanity vs vanity

I am confused about the difference of opinion (and trivialization) of the nail polish issue. This is serious surgery and one is put under deep sedation (why they often/always rouse the patient midway through - what a delightful prospect!)

Assessing the patient's oxygen saturation is VERY important. I'm already not thrilled about the notion of having a two staged operation with such a long level of unconsciousness. At least, I want them to be able to do the most accurate assessment of my status as possible! You may or may not have read about the recent findings that patients undergoing open-heart surgery, appear to suffer permanent cognitive deficits because of oxygen deprivation.

I've had general anaesthesia almost two dozen times (including such things as colonoscopy - they knock you out for it now). Not wearing nail polish, eye shadow or lipstick, was always de rigueur and I didn't try to get around it - no matter how hunky the surgeon was. (Hint to you know who, to fess up).

Not that I have no vanity! I sneak in some eyeliner and eyebrow pencil . They aren't indicative of health and make a big difference in my pale face.
                            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

According to the book that Charlotte hospital gave me you can keep your acrylic nails on but you must remove all polish . Now I am getting really nervous. Tuesday at 4:45 am is very far away

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X