No announcement yet.

Surgery on Tuesday May 4th -feeling ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa - I totally understand how you are feeling. I had felt like that prior to surgery. About a couple of weeks prior, I remember sitting round thinking I had so much to do, and not feeling like actually doing it, and feeling kind of blah. I mentioned in another post that just two days prior to surgery though I got this sense of calm, a feeling of acceptance. I just felt like okay, I accept all of this, I know that everything will be fine, the doctor knows what he's doing, my family will be there for me, I'm sick of having this pain from scoliosis so I know this is the best thing to do, so here I go. And everything went smoothly from that moment onwards. And it will go smoothly for you too. You'll do just great Melissa, and in a blink of an eye, it will all be behind you. Hugs to you Melissa. I will be thinking of you in my thoughts and prayers, and can't wait to hear from you afterwards.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

thanks everyone .In my mind,I know that it will be fine. It is just my heart that is scared
      Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

We will all be thinking of you on tues. You will be in all of our hearts.

If you go to the grocery store before Monday, buy yourself some helium balloons. Take them home, write your fears on each one of them....then take them outside and let them go!

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs...
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by foofer View Post
          Melissa,

We will all be thinking of you on tues. You will be in all of our hearts.

If you go to the grocery store before Monday, buy yourself some helium balloons. Take them home, write your fears on each one of them....then take them outside and let them go!

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs...
          What a great idea!

howver, my daughter would kill me.That is a very bad thing to do for the environment.

Comment

Well, today I am feeling like crap. I am being sued by my only living relative , my brother over my late dad's money.I get a call from my lawyer that if I can;t find these papers that I can't find my brothers lawyer is going to ask the court that my husband and I be hit with these financial sanctions that can be hundreds of thousands of dollars, money We don't have

On top of that, my husband , who has already been DX as being mentally ill but refusing to do anything about has been very verbally abusive to us all here.

This ,of course, is doing wonders for my mood

Melissa

Comment

Oh Melissa...i am so sorry that you have so much to deal with...so much stress on top of your anxiety about the surgery...i hope there are some friends that you can vent to...
              or just vent on here...everyone will understand!

you will be in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday, and until you are all healed and back on your feet again!

jess

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your home situation. You're dealing with too much right now. Once your surgery is over, and you're on the road to recovery, you will handle the other stuff a lot better. Can it all be put on hold for a month? Does the lawyer know you're facing this surgery?
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Happy Early Mother's Day

Melissa,
                  I know you will be in the hospital on Mother's Day so I wanted you to have this early Mother's Day wish from me! Try not to think about all the crap your family is piling on you at this time. Like Jess said, vent to us (we are your friends ;-).
                  You will be stronger after surgery and in better shape to deal with all of that.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Melissa,
                    I can't offer any advice. Just know you will be in my thought and prayers for your surgery May 4th and for your serious personal problems.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Melissa -- I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these difficult family issues right now. These things you are encountering are difficult to face at any time, but especially when you're preparing for major surgery in just a few days. You need all your strength focused on getting yourself ready both physically and emotionally. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
                      Glenda
                      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Thanks so much. I just don't know how much more I can handle with out having a nervous breakdown.I have lived for 30 years with my husband who is mentally ill and refuses to get help for himself.I have 2 special needs children who I have been a full time mother to for the past 17 and 15 years with no help from any one . I have diabetes, fibromayligia, migraines , carpal tunnel syndrome and other assorted aliments.I have this lawsuit hanging over my head. If it wasn't for my children, I really would not have any reason to live.

Thanks for listening

Comment

OH MY GOD Melissa - I can't believe what is happening to you right before surgery. I had a similar (but very different scenario) right before my surgery and am still dealing with a lot of crap from my ex. I really feel for you and wish I could wave a magic wand for you to take away all the crappy people in your life that are putting you through this. Why do people do this to us right at a time when we most don't need it. Why oh why? The only advice I can give you. This at least is what I did to cope Melissa. I completely ignored all the BS - and focused only on the surgery - focused only on what was going to happen to me and getting well, because everything else I figured would fall into place, which it does. The attorney needs to know - your brother's attorney, that you are about to have a major surgery, because then the case can be put on hold, and then while you are in recovery they can do diddly squat till you are fully recovered, and you can draw that out for up to a year or more until you feel one hundred percent better and ready to fight. So I'd completely put that court case out of your mind right now Melissa. Sorry to hear about your husband too, what a messy situation, and then the hardship of your taking care of your children. God must know you're a strong lady, otherwise he wouldn't put so much on your plate, he knows you can handle it though, and I know you can handle it. Melissa - everything will be great. You'll get through this. One step at a time. Get through the surgery. Then you'll get stronger, you'll feel great, you'll be a brand new Melissa with a brand new back. Then you can fight all these rotten people, and your world will become a better place. I believe in you Melissa, you are a lady warrior - ok? You're in my prayers Melissa. I know you can do it. XX OO
                          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Melissa,
                            I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been reading it for a few months, so I have been tracking Lynette and others. Lynette's advice makes a lot of sense. I think the forum is a great place to vent your frustrations. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery for you and a resolution of your problems down the road. For once, you need to put yourself first.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Lynette -- What a sweet note from someone who is in so much pain themselves. You are so right, the court case can be put on hold. My husband had a similar situation with his sisters recently about their "home place". It went on for nearly two years. These things can certainly be delayed.
                              Glenda
                              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                              Pleased with outcome

Comment

Melissa,
                                I'm just wishing you the best. It will be over before you know it. I haven't had scoli surgery, but I have had multiple other surgeries. I think the anticipation is the worst part, but soon will be a thing of the past. I have a friend that has special needs children and I see how it is worth every minute to her, but she is totally drained at the end of the day. Just get the care that YOU need for a change so that you can feel better. I'm sure if we all lived close to each other, everyone here would pitch in to help. But all we have are the message boards to support each other. So please accept my
                                ((((HUGS))))!!!!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X