No announcement yet.

Surgery on Tuesday May 4th -feeling ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Tuesday May 4th -feeling ???

My surgery is 5 days from now . I feel ? I don't know what I feel . I cannot seem to do anything that I need to do. I have errands that I have to get done now before my surgery but I just do not have the will power to do them.It is not like I don't have the energy.This is the first day all week that I have energy but I don't want to use it.I have things that I must do around the house but again I do not want to do them. One minute, I wish the surgery was today . The next minute I am scared about it. Is this normal or am I losing it?

Thanks

Melissa

hi Melissa
    i wonder if it is coming from stress...and i wonder if you are ambivalent about the surgery...you want it but fear it...? that is just a guess from a social worker...please excuse me if i am way off...

you have my sympathy...i think i will go nuts when my surgery comes up...wanting to cancel one minute, get it over with the next...

jess

Comment

I really want it.The pain has gotten really bad lately but yes I am very frightened of the whole operation and hospital .I have never spent a night in a hospital except for when my children were born. I have never been a patient before. I have always been the patient's daughter ,wife or mother. I have always been the one in charge and now I have to depend on others.That is what is really frightening to me.

Comment

I think this sounds pretty normal. I kept exercising and kept really busy. I wish I had a magic answer for you. You know it's for the overall good but it is scary. Try to keep thinking positive thoughts & know we're all on here cheering you on and praying for the best. You can do this! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Try to put your trust in your surgeon and his team...dont be afraid to ask for things...that is what the professionals are there for...this is your time to get the help you need to go on with your life...and be rid of the pain...your dependence on others wont last forever...just till you are better...

jess

Comment

I know but I just hate that letting go feeling .

Melissa

Comment

There's little anyone can say that helps. It's one of those things, we just have to get through as best we can. It's not easy. That letting go is very difficult, but you trust your surgeon, don't you? Then just know that he will be doing his level best to ensure the rest of your life is as pain-free as possible. Look forward to that.

The days will pass, you'll find yourself in the holding bay outside theatre, hopefully gaga with medication (ask for it, you won't have a care in the world) - then you will be waking up with this all behind you. Everyone will be highly skilled, everyone will be doing their best to make this as easy as possible for you. Anything not done at home won't matter. There are more important things - you! For a brief period in time, you will have others putting YOU first, rather than you putting others first.

It will all work out. *hugs*
              Jen
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                There's little anyone can say that helps. It's one of those things, we just have to get through as best we can. It's not easy. That letting go is very difficult, but you trust your surgeon, don't you? Then just know that he will be doing his level best to ensure the rest of your life is as pain-free as possible. Look forward to that.

The days will pass, you'll find yourself in the holding bay outside theatre, hopefully gaga with medication (ask for it, you won't have a care in the world) - then you will be waking up with this all behind you. Everyone will be highly skilled, everyone will be doing their best to make this as easy as possible for you. Anything not done at home won't matter. There are more important things - you! For a brief period in time, you will have others putting YOU first, rather than you putting others first.

It will all work out. *hugs*
                Jen
                That is the best part of this whole thing, I think.The fact that I will be coming first instead of the other way around.I cannot remember the last time that has happened ,I guess,It was 15 years ago was I was pregnant with my last child

Comment

Oh, Melissa...then you are long overdue!!
                  it's about time you put your feet up, let others take care of you, and know that the world will keep spinning... and your loved ones will be fine... for the months it takes for you to feel up to your old self, only a new, improved and better form!

jess

Comment

Many of us spend our lives breaking our backs doing everything for everyone, for whatever reason: Control? Wanting some appreciation? (forget it, it doesn't happen that way.) Wanting to be useful? Wanting to make others' lives easier? Whatever the reason, we tend to forget that in our hour of need, we also, are deserving of help and it's quite surprising to discover that when we ask for it, others are more than happy to give it.

I hate asking for help, but what I found is people came out of the woodwork, with offers of help and I knew it came from the heart. I accepted and appreciated the help I received, knowing it wasn't going to be for long and the people giving the help enjoyed giving it. This surgery can be quite a changing experience. In many ways.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Melissa -- Such good support on this forum. I'm excited for you. I've been thinking about you as your date has been nearing. I feel I'm going to be the same way the closer I come to my surgery date. I'm ready to get it over with, but I'll confess there is a certain amount of anxiety too. It sounds like most folks on here have these same feelings. My pre-op is May 5 and I'm sure when I start talking with anesthesiologists and signing papers, my anxiety level is going to go sky high.

Wishing you the very best!!

Glenda
                      Glenda
                      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                      Pleased with outcome

Comment

This forum is so helpful. By the time my surgery rolls around, I will have thought about it daily for 10 months. I have never been in the hospital over night. I worry about my two dogs and the burden this surgery is going to be on my husband. I think about the lack of a social life for months.
                        Friends have already volunteered to help. I think I'll find out who my true friends are during recovery. One minute, I dread the whole procedure and have fears of what my life will be like with 2 rods and screws in my back. The next minute, I just want to fast forward to a couple of months after the surgery. I keep thinking that I have to trust Dr. Lenke's comment that with my curve progression that my prognosis would not be good without surgery.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Melissa,

These are defnitely the hardest days. The anticipation is exciting/terrifying all at the same time. You will be on the other side before you know it.

Good luck, I know you'll do great.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Well, I finally did manage to get dressed and go out and do my errands today.Part of why I am feeling so ?? is that next Sunday is Mother's day which I did not even realize .Both of my parents are gone and I so want my mommy here to take care of me. When I got to the stores, signs are all over the place telling you that it is Mother's Day. Both of my kids are special needs kids and they do not understand the concept of holidays and gift giving and cards. They tell me and show in many ways that they love me and appreciate thru out the year, but it would be nice to get a card on Mother's Day

Melissa

Comment

Good luck with your surgery. We'll all be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Be sure to let us know how you are doing.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X