Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people lose (so much) weight after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that way back in April I responded to the weight gain part of this. I thought it was bad then but now it is like a daily gain beyond anything I've ever had before. I still exercise at least 5 times a week for an hour or more and basically do weight watchers. Someone told me a doctor told them that after a serious illness or surgery your body can react to the initial weight loss by over-compensating later. Well, that compensating is hitting me hard at a year and a half. This is just ridiculous. Anyone have any great ideas?? I have my daughter's wedding to get ready for in June. By the way, just had our second grandbaby last evening and she is a doll! I'm a happy grandma--despite the weight! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Doodles,

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Could it be a thyroid issue? Seems strange to me - you seem very active!

Comment

I actually have been on thyroid meds for several years. Had levels checked a couple months ago & they said they were fine. I've wondered about that too.
        Janet

Comment

hi Janet
          sending you a private message...

jess

Comment

Weight gain immediately without eating - post-op, why

During scoliosis surgeries IV fluids and blood are given. When the body has surgery, certain stresses and medications, the pituitary gland secretes ADH also known as anti-diuretic hormone(brand name Pitressin). It causes fluid retention and weight gain. This usually abates after a few days. In the meantime the fluid is stored in the "3rd space" that means the body tissues outside the circulation.

Here is a definition:

http://www.audioenglish.net/dictiona...ic_hormone.htm

I was shocked when I was weighed a few days after surgery and was 160!!!. I was 143 before the surgery and I certainly wasn't eating that much.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Oh, yeah, I remember in the hospital the weighed me and I had gained 20 lbs. I would have been more upset if I wasn't so medicated. That left within a couple weeks and 15 more eventually. Now we are definitely making up all that "lost" ground & more! Grrr. Janet
              Janet

Comment

I've been one of those people who lose and gain those ten pounds over and over again as I've aged. I didn't have any expectations going into the surgery. While in the hospital I refused to eat or drink anything until day 3 afternoon even though I was given clearance to have liquids on the afternoon of day 2. (Susie*Bee's illius story terrified me!) In the hospital (both times) I ate a little here and there but just wasn't that interested in food. (Hubby and sister said it was good though )

It wasn't until I was at home for a day or two that I was absolutely ravenous... for 5 days food tasted so great! Then as quickly as the appetite came back it left again for a couple months. I had my favorite things to eat and had to force myself to eat those. I ended up losing only about 12 lbs. Then the gluten allergy Dx. I gained weight back - my eating was all over the place while I figured out what was going on. Now that I am working again I have lost 10 lbs and it is slowly continuing to drop. I'm not too concerned about it. Seems to be my normal.

What I do like are my new muscles in my 'gluteal region.' With the proper lordosis I have a real rear end!
                Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                Achieved +70% Correction
                Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                New Spine 03/19/2009
                New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Eating post op

I could not eat prior to surgery...just wasn't hungrt and was busy with the kids. After surgery, I did not eat s I have GERD (one step above aciid reflx). My throught was srill sore from intubtion. That might have been part of it too.

Ann
                  44 year old female
                  Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                  Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                  Posterior Only, 9 hours
                  Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                  Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

I look forward to a new shape in the rear end area. I am flat there.

How long does it take for the sore throat to go away after intabation?

Comment

backissues. I didn't have any soreness at all from the intubation. That was one of the things that worried me going in to surgery. I hate a sore throat!

Julie. Love the rear-end! Mine I mean, not yours (I hasten to add!) though I'm sure yours is just lovely!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                        During scoliosis surgeries IV fluids and blood are given. When the body has surgery, certain stresses and medications, the pituitary gland secretes ADH also known as anti-diuretic hormone(brand name Pitressin). It causes fluid retention and weight gain. This usually abates after a few days. In the meantime the fluid is stored in the "3rd space" that means the body tissues outside the circulation.

Here is a definition:

http://www.audioenglish.net/dictiona...ic_hormone.htm

I was shocked when I was weighed a few days after surgery and was 160!!!. I was 143 before the surgery and I certainly wasn't eating that much.

Geez!! Now I'm even more freaked out!?! Gaining 20lbs!? Does everyone gain weight like that right after surgery? Anyone who's had this surgery, what was your experience???
                        Laurie Anne
                        Age 30
                        Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
                        Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
                        Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
                        PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
                        5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
                        1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

I was bloated immediately after surgery from all the IV fluids, and in the hospital they kept up the fluids because my blood pressure was really low. After the IVs stopped, I lost the bloat almost overnight, and since I had a terrible appetite from the pain meds I continued to lose weight. I still have trouble with eating because of constipation from the meds, so I can't eat more than a small amount at a time (but when I do eat, I enjoy it). Tonight I had to skip dinner, but hope to manage some yogurt later on. Or ice cream! Yeah!

I hope I can get my appetite back soon! I'd like to be able to eat, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere; thanks, Percoset! Won't be sad to see you go!

My son took a photo of me in ICU ... thanks, sweetie! Like I want to remember what I looked like bloated up and gorked out with a huge needle stuck in my neck!
                          Juliet, age 57
                          37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                          Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                          Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                          Surgery on 10/26/10
                          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                          University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                          Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

well shince my surgery i been lossing wight and gaining back
                            Kara
                            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                            T4-L2
                            Before 50T
                            After 20T

Comment

I initially gained a bit and looked 5 mos pregnant with all the swelling (and I'm only 5'3 and 110 lbs to begin with!) but anyway, during the first two months of recovery, I went down to 90 lbs just due to lack of appetite and not exercising (no muscle building). I looked sickly. But, all is good now

Comment

How much does the hardware (rods and screws) weigh?
                                Laurie Anne
                                Age 30
                                Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
                                Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
                                Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
                                PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
                                5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
                                1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Working...
                                X