Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people lose (so much) weight after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Laurie,

I don't tolerate anesthesia or opiates well at all, and had constant nausea and frequent vomiting for 12 straight days post-op, and intermittently for another week. I think that is unusual. I lost about 12 pounds in the first 3 weeks.

Now I am at almost 5 weeks post op, and off all pain meds except tylenol, but my appetite has been slow to return. I can only eat about 1/2 the amount I used to (ate 1/2 a sandwich today for lunch and was stuffed). I am also still very sensitive to any type of heavily seasoned food--all I want is pretty plain stuff.

As far as SMA syndrome, I think it is considered rare. I was actually worried I had it because I was so sick for so long, and because my surgeon put in a very considerable amount of lumbar lordosis, which is listed as a contributing cause. I ended up in the ER a few nights after I went home from the hospital, and I did ask about SMA syndrome, but they just fluffed that possibility off and sent me home after a morphine shot and a nausea pill. I was not pleased that they did not even run any lab work, but what can you do?

I would ask your surgeon if you need to gain some weight.

Good luck,

Gayle
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

LaurieAnne

Welcome.

I lost my gall bladder probably from not running fat through my system, and had diverticulosis discovered by a radiologist. This was due to constipation from opoids. Ahhh... the constipation subject! We talk about it a lot here.

I was a little heavy for my age and height.... My surgeon wanted me to lose weight as surgeons don’t like cutting through fat. I had an anterior. Just make sure you are a normal weight, and eat healthy foods. I grew 4 inches after.

I take it Dr Lenke will do your 80 posterior only?
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I see this post started in April. Now that I have experienced this I can comment. I lost almost 25 lbs., took me to 120 lbs at 5'9". I looked so sickly and people were afraid for me. But guess what over 5 months or so I gained about 15 lbs. I am at my ideal weight and people comment how healthy I look.

The reason I lost so much weight was first few days there was no solids due to body and bowels adjusting to life. Then I had thrush (infection of mouth and throat) and was in so much pain I didn't eat much for weeks. I think you summed it up, it's just hellasious. Once home I had to eat a little to hold my pain meds. But I just didn't want to use the energy to eat. Just didn't feel like eating and nothing tasted good. At about 3 months I started eating well and gaining weight.
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be fused posterior and only one surgery necessary (thank God!). I did bring up the weight issue during my pre-op appointment and this was where Dr. Lenke referred to the SMA syndrome. He said gaining a pound or two could help with the risk of developing SMA but didn't give me any specifics as to how much to gain, etc... Weight has been a difficult issue for me over the years and I don't do well psychologically with weight gain. I know this surgery is a big deal and carries serious health risks. I am at a healthy bmi right now of about 18.7 of course if I get taller I guess that will change things. I guess I am just not sure if it's really a big deal or not. I couldn't get a straight answer from my doctor so i'm torn. I worry too about not being able to be very active after the surgery so I guess I think the weight loss would even out.
          Laurie Anne
          Age 30
          Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
          Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
          Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
          PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
          5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
          1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieAnne View Post
            Thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be fused posterior and only one surgery necessary (thank God!). I did bring up the weight issue during my pre-op appointment and this was where Dr. Lenke referred to the SMA syndrome. He said gaining a pound or two could help with the risk of developing SMA but didn't give me any specifics as to how much to gain, etc... Weight has been a difficult issue for me over the years and I don't do well psychologically with weight gain. I know this surgery is a big deal and carries serious health risks. I am at a healthy bmi right now of about 18.7 of course if I get taller I guess that will change things. I guess I am just not sure if it's really a big deal or not. I couldn't get a straight answer from my doctor so i'm torn. I worry too about not being able to be very active after the surgery so I guess I think the weight loss would even out.
            LaurieAnne,

I am about your age, and I too always try to keep my weight in check. Personally, I let myself gain 5-8 pounds before surgery because I knew I'd take that right off, and I did. I am now 7 weeks post-op and I have maintained my normal body weight. I had nausea and vomiting in the hospital but was actually hungry from day 1 - I never had any issues with weight loss, or gain for that matter.

In order to speed healing and keep my weight in check I am walking a lot almost every single day. I walked 5 miles today (that was actually a little much but I was able to do it!). I am really inspired to keep my "new" body looking and feeling great.

I want to point out though that your body will feel SO different post-op because you will be straight and have a nice new physique. I did not have a huge curve so while I have a nicer waistline, I didn't see a huge change like a lot of people on this forum.

So, in summary I wouldn't really worry too much about the weight. You will be really happy with your new body!

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your post! How much height did you gain? They have told me anywhere from 2-4 inches. How does your height gain compare to what they told you pre-surgery? What level of osteotomy did you have? I am scheduled for the level 1 (Smith Peterson I think) so I hope that will preserve the gain in height.

-Laurie
              Laurie Anne
              Age 30

Comment

I lost a few pounds in the hospital but once I started eating I went back to normal. I am at the same weight or maybe only 2 or 3 pounds less. I eat a lot and I like wine. But I'm thinking the walking 2 1/2 miles a day is keeping my weight in check even though I eat like a pig!
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

[QUOTE=LaurieAnne;111368]Did any of you have complications due to weight loss from the surgery? I asked my surgeon about potential risks associated with this and he mentioned SMA sydrome (superior mesenteric artery syndrome). I looked it up and it doesn't sound good. Has anyone had this and is it very likely? Also, how much weight did you loose after surgery? How long did it take to come back? I am vasilating as to whether or not I truly need to gain weight for the surgery. Any thoughts or info?

/QUOTE]

Hi LaurieAnne, I'm so glad you brought this up about the SMA (superior mesenteric artery syndrome)! Have not heard anyone else mention this on this forum, and there not much I could find on it on the computer. I did loose a lot of weight after my surgery and was very concerned about it. Of course I brougt it up with my surgeon on my first check-up after surgery and he mentioned this SMA syndrome, he explained to me that it is something that young kids and teenagers would experience more than adults, though an adult can get a form of it. Something about, if I remember correctly, your duodem (sp) getting very narrow, whereas teens it actually closes up and can be quite serious, they would require surgery to correct this. For me, I went from about 147 lbs down to 117 in just the time I was in the hospital. Thankfully I have gained about 12 lbs. back, but it took a long time and alot of healthy shakes and ensure to get there. Still want to gain another 10 lbs or so.

I also, like Ed, had to have my gall bladder removed, was told it had something to do with (forget what is was called) nutritional IV I was given in the hospital for about a week. I'm assuming this all has something to do with my organs being moved around, as I also had the anterior surgery.
                  Dolores A
                  June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                  June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                  Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                  NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieAnne View Post
                    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your post! How much height did you gain? They have told me anywhere from 2-4 inches. How does your height gain compare to what they told you pre-surgery? What level of osteotomy did you have? I am scheduled for the level 1 (Smith Peterson I think) so I hope that will preserve the gain in height.

-Laurie
                    Laurie,

I am fused from T5-L1, and I gained a little more than a half inch. The surgeon told me I'd gain an inch. He told me after surgery my compensatory curves may continue to straighten out, but at 7 weeks post-op I haven't gained any more height.

Comment

Sorry - I meant to add that my curves were not as severe as yours and I would guess you'd gain 2 inches! You can check out others' results on the forum.

I haven't seen anyone gain 4 inches - I'd be surprised if you gained that much.

Comment

Just to throw in something from the opposite direction, I gained weight with my surgery. I have a low metabolism. I might have already posted in this thread awhile ago... too lazy to check at the moment. I gained 8 lbs. in the hospital during my 11 day stay (no, not fluids, it never came off). And then even though I wasn't eating very much at home, just stayed about the same. So I ended up with a weight gain. There always has to be an oddball, right Ed??? That was even with not eating or drinking anything the first 5 days in the hospital because of having an ileus. I figure the IV solution was very high calorie stuff. Some of us have no luck at all. I would have loved to lose a few pounds or more... You guys would be proud of me-- been on a diet for the last several months and have lost almost 40 lbs.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hey Susie, very impressesd, 40lbs lost is a major accomplihment -- how are the grandkids!
                          Dolores A
                          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Thanks for all your replies! I just wish I could know or predict how my body will react to this surgery. Guess it's just a 'wait and see'. Those who have posted how much height did you gain? This is one of things I am most looking forward too...i've lost over an inch already since high school
                            Laurie Anne
                            Age 30

Comment

Suzie Bee

They must have had you on rocket fuel in the hospital. lol

I found it so hard to eat on Percoset. I had to force myself to eat a half can of chicken soup. As soon as I was off meds, everything returned back to normal.

Congrats on the weight loss.

You must be busy with all those grandkids in the “terrible 2” age bracket! I can see you with 4 at a time...I knew it wasn’t a diet!

Hope the back is fine...
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Laurie Anne-- I gained somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2". Not rocket fuel, Ed. Just lousy metabolism. Always has been. My boys aren't in their terrible twos "yet"-- just 18 months. They'll both be here at Christmas. Can't wait! They are both adorable, Dolores. Of course!!! Aren't all little grandchildren????
                                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                                X