Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a second surgery after almost 20 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a second surgery after almost 20 years!

hi everybody,

I`m a 32 old female and was born with hairy patch over the lumbar spine and fixed obliquity of the lower lumbar spine to the pelvis and slight shortening of the left leg with a small left foot.
    When I was 13 in 1990 diagnosed with 60` scoliosis from T9 to L3 which was associated with about 30` of vertebral body rotation and had operation in London clinic with Dr Michael Edgar,which he did a brilliant job and put the Zielke anterior spinal fusion from T9-T12.
    I never had problem since,till I went to doctor to check if I`m ok for pregnancy.they said my curve has progressed to 80` now and I have kyphosis as well.Funny thing that I don`t have any pain!!
    Now I have an appointment with Dr Boachie in HSS hospital next week.I`m a bit worried,can somebody with similar problem help me and tell me about Dr Boachie,the cost as I`m a self pay patient or recommend another Dr?
    Regards,Aytak

Dr Boachie

I have researched Dr Boachie. He is one of the very best surgeons. However he does not take insurance. I found another surgeon @ NYU. His name is Dr Joesph Dryer. Extremely caring and also one of the best. Check him out.

Michal

Comment

Hi Ayti,

Mr Edgar was my consultant too, he looked after me at Stanmore from when I was first diagnosed at 6 months old (1976) right up until he retired in 2001 He was brilliant, he did my first two surgeries and was supposed to do the third but he retired just before I was due to have it. I also have Zielke instrumentation, along with a Harrington Rod and last year I had further surgery to extend the fusion down one level so now I have some pedicle screws too.

Sorry I can't help you with finding a doctor now as I still live in the UK, but it's nice to meet another of Mr Edgar's patients I rarely meet them in scoliosis forums even though he was one of the best surgeons in the UK for many years - that must be testament to the quality of his work, I think

Toni xx

Comment

Hi Ayti
        Dr Boachie didint take my insurance..i saw him for one consult...he did my former G.P.'s daughter in NYC...but i think it was like a doctor to doctor favor...though heaven knows my doctor could afford it! his daughter had great results, but i'm not sure how low her fusion went...

i dont know what self pay means...if you mean all cash out of your pocket...well, any doctor who does this surgery for you...it will be very expensive....one must pay doctor fee plus hospital, including recovery room...i have seen some wonderful surgeons who do take my insurance....so i have been lucky with that...i also saw some for consults who didnt....
        when i saw Dr Boachie 3 years ago, it cost about $500 or so for one consult...

best of luck
        jess

Comment

Many thanks guys for all your support,xx
          Regards,Aytak

Comment

Harrington rod removal

I had to have my harrington rod removed about 10 years ago as it became infected having been in 20 years. I have had a lot of pain since then and am always taking painkillers.

I don't know if anyone has similar problems. i also use a nippy ventilator.

I am 44 years old.

I look forward to hearing from you.
            Liz

Comment

what i can share

I don't know much about older srugeries. I know alot about infection. I am looking at revsion surgery for my daughter. It will be her 4th time. I would advise you to get a really good2nd consult before you do anything. Ask about putting instrumentation back or not. What do they predict will happen if it is not replaced? It is very confusing and I think you need to go to the professionals for all of this. There is not much out there that I can understand. The type of infection is important to research. There are all kinds and each has different kinds of treatment. Do please get your ID and Orthopod on the same page from the get go if possible. I would even advise getting a culture to find out what infection it is so the surgery can proceed with a known entity. That was a big problem for us! !! I don't know if that is possible. I would ask. Good luck Mary

Comment

Working...
              X