Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: News of my curve

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755

    News of my curve

    I thought I would post this over here too:

    I got my X-rays from my chiropractor today. As suspected, the progression started with treatment. I'm not angry about it. I look at it this way. My spine was so stiff, no one was able to ever move or pop it, even when I was a teenager. I had measured 41* in 2000, 40* in 2005, 41* in 2008 when I started treatment and now 46* in 2010. I talked at length with her about it. I gave her the names of Dr. Rivard and Coillard and told her about the Spinecor brace. I said these were orthopedic surgeons with the SRS that were willing to work with chiropractors. I know this is controversial for some people and I'm not going to debate it. The simple fact is that the Spinecor has helped some people and this Chiropractor is eager to find out more about it. I told her that I would continue working with her, but I would only have my neck adjusted and hands off the thorcic spine except for muscle work. She agreed that was probably the best route to go considering I am progressing. She is a very humble person. She gave me my X-rays so that I can have them examined by the radiologist at the hospital where I am being treated. I am very glad I went. I was apprehensive at first, but I'm happy now! On the surgical side, we both agreed that I would probably eventually need surgery. We were both of the opinion that since the spine seems to have moved or been released, my surgery may be easier since it is more flexible now. I hope this is the case.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    190
    Wow, what an account! Thanks for all that information.

    My curve also progressed greatly during a certain period and over that time I was seeing a chiropractor. I did wonder if that had made it worse or not. Also the flexibility you mention as allowing it to worsen is also interesting. I was going to resume chiro treatments but now I am starting to wonder. Maybe I will just stick with massage!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Several years ago, after trying physical therapy and injections, my pcp referred me to a chiro. After looking at my x-rays, the chiro told me he could not help me and for me not to let any other chiro in the future tell me they could help. He told me they could actually make my back worse. I'm not saying chiros don't help many people. They do. I have friends who swear by them.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by dailystrength View Post
    Wow, what an account! Thanks for all that information.

    My curve also progressed greatly during a certain period and over that time I was seeing a chiropractor. I did wonder if that had made it worse or not. Also the flexibility you mention as allowing it to worsen is also interesting. I was going to resume chiro treatments but now I am starting to wonder. Maybe I will just stick with massage!
    Unless you want to progress, that is probably your best bet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by gmw View Post
    I'm not saying chiros don't help many people. They do. I have friends who swear by them.
    I take it these are friends who do not have scoliosis?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Dailystrength --No, I don't believe they have scoliosis. I'm very glad the one I went to was honest with me up front and told me he couldn't help me.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,745
    i feel so bad for you guys...going to someone for help and having the problem made worse!!
    i have always been scared of chiros...i went to one years ago...twice...it was just tooooo uncomfortable for me to be "adjusted"...i dreaded it...she would keep telling me to "relax" before she manipulated my neck/spine, but i got more tense every time she made something "crack"!!

    there is a funny joke about "a duck and a chiropractor walk into a bar...." but i wont tell it here, out of respect for those who believe chiros help them...

    jess

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    i feel so bad for you guys...going to someone for help and having the problem made worse!!
    i have always been scared of chiros...i went to one years ago...twice...it was just tooooo uncomfortable for me to be "adjusted"...i dreaded it...she would keep telling me to "relax" before she manipulated my neck/spine, but i got more tense every time she made something "crack"!!

    there is a funny joke about "a duck and a chiropractor walk into a bar...." but i wont tell it here, out of respect for those who believe chiros help them...

    jess
    You can PM it to me.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,745
    Done, rohr

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    Done, rohr
    cute! Yeah, some might take offense but it wasn't that bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •