Holding A Juvenile Curve Reduction Through Adolescent Growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding A Juvenile Curve Reduction Through Adolescent Growth

I am reading a lot about Juvenile children who are getting a curve reduction from the mid 30s to the low teens, even some down to about 10 degrees. This has been primarily with children who are 6, 7, or 8 yrs. old. I have seen it with children wearing Rigo-Cheneau, Boston, and SpineCor braces.

My daughter (8 yrs. old) was 36 (T4-T12) but is now down to 23 (T4-T12). She is wearing a SpineCor brace (to school and sports) and a Boston brace (home and night). However, she is still 28-30 (T5-T10). The overall thoracic curve (T4-T12) has reduced but between T5-T10 her thoracic curve is still 28-30. She is ok with wearing a brace (OK with SpineCor brace but not so much OK with the Boston brace) but would prefer to not have to wear any brace. So it seems we have a couple options:

1. Keep wearing the braces and continue to reduce the curve. And, let's assume over the next year or so we reduce the curve to the low teens 10-15 degrees.

OR

2. Have VBS surgery. She needs to be 25-35 degrees for VBS.

We get excited when we see childrens' curve being reduced to low teens. But, let's assume we get into the low teens and she is 9 yrs. old.

So, for anyone who has see a curve reduction from the mid 30s down to low teens, have you been able to hold it? And is it being held by bracing or without bracing.

My concern is that if we work real hard right now and reduce her curve to low teens, is it only temporary, and when she hits her growth spurt (11-13 yrs. old), will it just return to where it was, unless we brace her for the next 5-6 years. I have even read of juveniles who have reduced from 30 to low teens who then switched to part-time bracing only to see it progress again.

If bracing is the only way to hold it from going back to mid 30s or higher, than it may make more sense while she is young to just have the VBS performed and avoid all the years of bracing. I guess if we braced for a few more years and held it below 20 or even low teens, then we could consider VBS if it begins to progress without bracing.

So, for anyone who has a child and was able to reduce her curve to low teens from mid 30s, did it hold through her growth spurt (11-13 yrs. old) or did it progress back to the mid 30s? And was this with or without bracing (full-time or part-time).

I would be interested in anyone's experience or any studies. I assume there will be very few people with this exact experience and I have not seen any studies that deal with juvenile significant curve reduction through bracing that later follows them through adolescent years to see if it held.

Thanks
    Michael
    Last edited by michael1960; 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM.

Hi Michael, I sent you a PM
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Working...
    X