Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-year post op

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while and don't know if many still remember me. Just thought I'd post an update so those waiting for surgery can have some idea what to expect.

I was fused from T12 - L3 last year. I feel great now and can pretty much do anything that I want to. I've been keeping as active as I can and have had no problems at all to do with the surgery. Just feel like I have a new and strong spine! I did have some issues with tiredness and low energy, but I think that was to do with having low iron. I am now taking supplements and feel fine.

I also love the fact I can now wear fitted clothes without being self-conscious. I'm slowly building up a nice wardrobe and actually got lots of "free" clothes because I had some clothes in the back of my wardrobe that I purchased without really thinking and then realised I couldn't wear it with my curve. So that was a nice bonus!

I've also just got a great job which I will be starting next week. It is related to my current law studies so that's pretty exciting. My partner and I are currently saving up as well, with the hope that we'll be able to get married within the next 12 months or so.

I just wanted to thank all the users on these forums over the last year who were able to help me with all my pre-surgery worries and who supported me during the first few difficult months afterwards. It really helped me a lot. Also, best wishes to everyone who has surgery scheduled for the next few months. I hope it all goes well for you and you feel great afterwards. Also, try not worry too much as time really does fly. I feel like it was only yesterday that I was given my post-op back brace and was so upset that I had to wear it for 3 months because it was painful and uncomfortable. It is now sitting in my wardrobe as a souvenir and I hardly even remember wearing it!

Wishing you all the very best
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Nice to hear from you Cimbom and very glad to hear things are going so well for you, in every way. All the best for your future!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Cimbom--I do remember you and I'm so glad you are doing well. You were just about a month after mine. I hope you continue to feel great. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
      X