No announcement yet.

Almost 4 wks post op Have Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in St. Louis for surgery, my nurse told me that Dr. Bridwell trained Dr. Lenke, so he must be the more senior of the two. They both have great credentials.

Comment

My research took me to Dr. Lenke. I had not heard of Dr. Bridwell until we went for the first appointment. As of April 21st both names are still on the office. I know that Lenke's method of all posterior he has taught to many surgeons all over. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Karen

You will be surprised how well you do with your golf after surgery. It might take a while, but you will do ok. I had some days out skiing that really bothered me, but I stuck to it... That’s the main thing, you will adapt.

Laura

I had the same happen to me with shoulder height. I thought my surgeon over corrected, but it eventually leveled out. You are through the hardest part, my first 4 weeks were like watching survivor man. You know that guy starves, freezes, and cannot get comfortable on every program. Instead of going out into the wilderness with a candy bar and a knife, we go home with a candy bar and a bottle of Oxycodone.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Karen,

I golf, not professionally or every day, but I can do it being fused T-1 to L-5.
          When I got my brace off, about 3-4 months post-op, I started to make the swinging motion. It was hard for me at first, didn't get the same distance, but I was out there and playing.

Never give up, somethings take longer than others,
          Shari

Comment

Hi Karen
            i hope you can play golf after fusion to sacrum...maybe since movement will be from the hips...? it's been awhile since i swung a club, but maybe, IF the motion is from the hips....?

best of luck
            jess

Comment

Jess and Shari,
              Thanks for your replies about golf after surgery. I know I will be happy just to be out, again, after surgery on a beautiful course with my friends & husband, even if I never play as well . . . but for sure, I will give it 100%.

Ed, I love your sense of humor. I hope you never quit posting. You are also so encouraging to those of us with so many anxieties.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hey Karen, I know we have talked before about golfing after surgery as I love to play as well. I am at a little over 6 weeks post op and I'm fused to t11 to pelivis which sounds to be quite a bit shorter than you pending fusion. My doc expects I can chip and put by August or september so I'll let you know what it's like. Given the way I feel right now I don't expect it to be a problem at all as I don't feel all that different than I felt pre-op. Definitely less flexible, but not horrible at all, I expect to be able to manage just fine in the golf course.

Rich
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Rich,
                  I'm glad you're recovering quickly and without too much pain. Dr. Lenke said I'd be able to chip and putt after 4 months, so that's all I plan to do next summer. I will probably wait until the following summer to try the full swing. Dr. Lenke told me that he takes golf lessons but never has time to play, but at least he is familiar with what's involved in a golf swing. I don't want to mess up the surgery by doing anything too soon. I know I'll have to be patient with myself and not be too unhappy with higher scores than I'm used to. Let me know how soon you get the okay for full swings. Good luck.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                    Laura, You have been through so much. I hope the digestive thing clears itself out of your system. I can't imagine being sick on your stomach on top of all the other post-op discomfort. Could it be just a plain old virus that set in or could it be coming from your pain meds? Some people don't tolerate those well.
                    I noticed my shoulders were slightly uneven (when my husband took a picture for Melissa to show her the brace.) Obviously, I still have a significant curve which I guess accounts for some of it but I need to consciously adjust that one shoulder. Our back muscles are going through so much change and re-configuring and it all just takes time.
                    Sending you good thoughts and hoping that these rough days pass by quickly!
                    I am 62 as of 4/24 and am having fusion 6/29 fromt-4 thru illium which IZ think is the sacrum - does it hurt to sit

Comment

Susan, at first it's uncomfortable to sit. I wouldn't say painful, but very uncomfortable and would make me feel woozy. At first, I'd sit for five minutes then lie down, then as the weeks passed, the time sitting increased. I can't remember when sitting was no longer a problem but for me, it was probably about 2-3 months. For others it was much earlier.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Susan, I agree completely with Jennifer...the first few weeks after surgery I could not sit for more than a couple minutes at a time. At about 6 weeks for me, seemingly overnight, I was able to sit nearly all day with little problem. I still get tired and sore after a few hours, but not so much that it's a problem.

Rich

Comment

Man, I guess some things you just have to find out for yourself! You have all been so extremely helpful and articulate about the sitting problem, and I still can't imagine what it's like,

Does it pull in some location, or does it seem to be the pelvic anchors aching? Or what? As for feeling "woozy", could that be low blood pressure? (oo, aaaah, just trying to figure it out. )

This sitting problem is very troubling me as I can't imagine how I could use my PC without sitting - not even using the laptop I'm planning to get.

And without using the computer or some other seated work, I can't picture life as I know it! Standing or lying down just doesn't cut it. Of course, it's been so long since I could stand comfortably, that must be one of the reasons.
                          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi Back-out, for me, the sitting problem was mainly pain in my lower back, probably the pelvic anchors I would suppose. It was never terribly unbearable pain, just uncomfortable annoying type of pain that made me want to move. I did find that sitting on a high chair at the bar in my kitchen was way more comfortable than being seated at the kitchen table. I ate there for several weeks while my family ate at the table.

You mention using a computer...I've gotten very good at position my laptop on my stomach against my bent knees so that I can use it laying down...doing that right now as a matter of fact!!! I've spent hours and hours working this way!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                            X