Scoliosis Correction Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Correction Center

Here is the website of a non-invasive intensive scoliosis program.
    http://scoliosiscorrectioncenter.com/index.html
    Since my last visit to this site, their medical studies have been updated. Although they have a bogus testimonial where a patient says she got rectal cancer from Harrignton rods among many other unrelated disorders (I think that has been discussed here before), they seem to have "updated" some of their dogmatically incorrect statements.
    Just curious if there are any "real" success stories out there. This website still uses the term "Harrington rod" quite liberally, which clues me in that they are not up on the latest surgical tecniques. Anyway, I am curious to see if anyone has gone here and what their outcome was. This is not intended to be an argumentative question, so please, no one attack those that reply with their results. Just straight forward, as many people do not have any desire for surgery. I'm very skeptical because of the medical knowledge that I do have, but if I were 20 years younger, it might have been something that I would have tried (because my curve isn't huge) had I heard about it. I feel like I am too old to waste my time on these long-term, intensive, and probably painful therapies. I am scheduled to see my surgeon on Monday to see if he will do surgery (not that surgery isn't painful, duh). For those of you who choose alternative care, best wishes to you. I'm finally getting my daughter to address the FACT that she has scoliosis when she came to me last night with a backache, again. IF there are success stories out there, this might be something that she would consider. She's afraid of other strategies, so I am a person caught on both sides of the fence so to speak. I'm more the medical approach, she would rather try alternative treatments. She already stated that she would NOT wear a Spinecor brace, but I think she is a good canditate, being that she is young, 20, and has a small curve (lumbar to mid-thoracic backward S as she called it).
    Sincerely,
    Rohrer01 Just wanted to take the thumbs up sign down... I'm not convinced of this method at all.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM. Reason: I wanted to remove the thumbs up sign
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

rohrer01

I do have some experience (for my 8 yr. old daughter) with a chiropractor who has been certified in Clear but also certified in Pettibon, SpineCor, and some other non-surgical methods.

So, any treatment we have received has been a combination, not just Clear. For example, as you can read from the website, they do not support bracing. The Clear Institute does not support any type of bracing.

I chose the chiropractor that I did because he was open to many different forms of treatment and knowledgeable of them. When I first contacted Clear (Dr. Woggon) and others trained in Clear they all said bracing does not work.

My daughter and many other children have had their curves decreased significantly with bracing. So, when I read this website I give it no credibility because how much effort they put into criticizing bracing. And they are obviously not up on any latest surgical techniques.

These are the types of "scoliosis professionals" that I refuse to ever consider (scoliosiscorrectioncenter.com, fixscoliosis.com, other Clear sites). I always feel that they have their own agenda, and it is not in the best interest of the patient. A "scoliosis professional" should be willing to discuss all the different treatments including the pros and cons of each one. These websites are PRO Clear and CON every other treatment. I would never work with a "scoliosis professional" who is that close minded.

If you want to know the chiropractor that we see please send me a PM. I know he works with a lot of patients around 20. When I was there he was working with a couple young ladies around 20 who had curves around 40+ degrees. We are about 10 hours away from this chiropractor so we travel there and do a 1-2 week intensive program and leave with a PT program.

I do agree with their comments regarding the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS). Their recommendations are a bit outdated. They show no support for SpineCor bracing and they show no support for VBS (fusionless surgery). SRS recommends waiting, bracing, and then spinal fusion surgery.

I do feel that a person should try everything they can before surgery, but unfortunately some of these treatments are expensive and may or may not be covered by insurance.

I hope this is helpful.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by michael1960 View Post
      rohrer01

I do have some experience (for my 8 yr. old daughter) with a chiropractor who has been certified in Clear but also certified in Pettibon, SpineCor, and some other non-surgical methods.

So, any treatment we have received has been a combination, not just Clear. For example, as you can read from the website, they do not support bracing. The Clear Institute does not support any type of bracing.

I chose the chiropractor that I did because he was open to many different forms of treatment and knowledgeable of them. When I first contacted Clear (Dr. Woggon) and others trained in Clear they all said bracing does not work.

My daughter and many other children have had their curves decreased significantly with bracing. So, when I read this website I give it no credibility because how much effort they put into criticizing bracing. And they are obviously not up on any latest surgical techniques.

These are the types of "scoliosis professionals" that I refuse to ever consider (scoliosiscorrectioncenter.com, fixscoliosis.com, other Clear sites). I always feel that they have their own agenda, and it is not in the best interest of the patient. A "scoliosis professional" should be willing to discuss all the different treatments including the pros and cons of each one. These websites are PRO Clear and CON every other treatment. I would never work with a "scoliosis professional" who is that close minded.

If you want to know the chiropractor that we see please send me a PM. I know he works with a lot of patients around 20. When I was there he was working with a couple young ladies around 20 who had curves around 40+ degrees. We are about 10 hours away from this chiropractor so we travel there and do a 1-2 week intensive program and leave with a PT program.

I do agree with their comments regarding the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS). Their recommendations are a bit outdated. They show no support for SpineCor bracing and they show no support for VBS (fusionless surgery). SRS recommends waiting, bracing, and then spinal fusion surgery.

I do feel that a person should try everything they can before surgery, but unfortunately some of these treatments are expensive and may or may not be covered by insurance.

I hope this is helpful.

Michael
      Thanks, Michael.
      This website did have a lot of RED FLAGS so to speak. So this is the CLEAR method that they advocate? I didn't see them mention CLEAR. But they have also updated their "references" from the 1940's references to modern ones in the 2000's. Scroth seems to be pretty good from what I've heard as an alternative. My daughter has said absolutely NO bracing, but I think she is a perfect candidate for the Spinecor brace because her curve is small and because of it's location. I don't know how small her curve is, actually. I believed the quack that told us she never needed to come back when she was 12. So I just put it in the back of my mind. Mine had not progressed much over my life and I had no reason to believe it would (boy was I wrong), so I thought it was no big deal for her to have a small curve. I'm trying to get her to agree to see my surgeon just for a baseline so she knows where she is at. I can feel her curve when I rub her back. She doesn't have any obvious rib hump because it seems to be in her lower thoracic and lumbar region. If it's hurting her now, I can say from experience it only gets worse. I'm just trying to find something she will agree to, not necessisarily to get the curves gone, but to find a way to keep her pain under control. Thanks again and best wishes with your daughter!
      Be happy!
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Very good for you, Rohrer, for addressing your daughter's curve now. Yes, curves do progress as we all know. My Boston brace as a 15 yr. old decreased mine by 15 degrees, but it was back to where it started 20 years later- 34L. Then in ten years' time it increased another 15 degrees - hard to believe but true. So, I was at 34 lumbar at age 15, 19L at age 16 (I could only stand one year in the brace), 34L at age 35, then 49L at age 43. Next Thurs. I will hopefully report I am holding steady! Just reviewing that scoli is a lifetime of diligence. I am so sorry I was unaware that my pain from age 35 - 43 was due to a rapidly increasing curve, and that no doctors I saw seemed to clue in, even after suggesting it. But after a year of exercise it has held steady at 49L. There is hope. And maybe a decrease - we'll see May 6. And of course I have Schroth coming up in June.
        34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
        Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

My daughter is 20 years old. Her back is hurting her. She has finally agreed to be seen for the scoliosis as long as "I don't tell anyone". I hope you guys don't count? LOL I don't know why she is embarassed by it. She finally admitted that the chiro that we were seeing was trying to correct her curve. She quit going when I did, thankfully.

I think the Schroth method is something that you have to be really committed to, right? I hope she investigates her options.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

rohrer 101 and all

Just thought you would like to read "19 year old Scoliosis progressing" which I think is really worthwhile, it discusses nearly everything and peoples reaction, my opinion of course, but plenty of others too if you read it.

Lorraine.
            Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
            Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorraine 1966 View Post
              rohrer 101 and all

Just thought you would like to read "19 year old Scoliosis progressing" which I think is really worthwhile, it discusses nearly everything and peoples reaction, my opinion of course, but plenty of others too if you read it.

Lorraine.
              Where is this thread? I will look for it. Thanks. My daughter asked about the Spinecor brace, because from what I've read about it, she could be a good candidate even though she is an adult. She is most worried about people seeing it. I told her that the pictures that I've seen of people wearing it, you can't see it at all. I'll ask my doctor when I go in to see him today. For all I know, he may not advocate the Spinecor brace.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

I found it. I think I have read it before. VERY encouraging. I don't know if I could get my daughter on here to ask questions, but who knows, right? Thanks again!
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  I think the Schroth method is something that you have to be really committed to, right? I hope she investigates her options.
                  Yes, the therapist asked me during our initial phone consultation if I was committed to following through with the exercises daily. It will take discipline but at least I will know what to do that helps which will hopefully be a very good motivator.

And yes, 20 years old is not too old at all to start working on this. Is she willing to get an xray? Then you will know exactly what you are working with.
                  Last edited by dailystrength; 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM.
                  34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                  Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Working...
                  X